Bryan Adams Vs. Foreigner: Plexi content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

We went to the Bryan Adams/Foreigner show last night. We had lawn seats so I couldn't make out great detail, but Bryan Adams' backline had not one, not two, but THREE (count em) Marshall Plexi FULL stacks. I'm pretty sure they were plexis. They all had the short panel vs the panel that goes all the way across.

The lead tones were so thick you could like the syrup off of them, and when he'd hit those big ringing open chords with his Gretsch, that grindy "karaaaaaang" just sounded like heaven. Really great show.

Then there was Foreigner. Musically they were great. Vocalist was awesome, old Mick was smokin' on the old Les Paul, and they has Jason Bonham on the kit.

BUT...not an amp in sight and the lack of that dimension coming from the stage really left me sortof flat. I've seen photos of Mick playing Marshalls on stage in recent shows, but the stage was clean here, and I swear it sounded like they were playing thru PODs. Don't know, maybe the amps were side stage, but tone wise, Bryan Adams just destroyed them. For me it was a bit of a let down because some of those Foreigner tracks have some of the best crunchin' Marshall tones I've ever heard on them.

Anyhow, thought I'd share because I tried explaining this to my friends and they just gave me this blank look :)

One other thing that was cool about that show, Jason Bonham was playing what appeared to be one of his dad's old kits. It was a clear Ludwig Vistalite (not amber though, clear, never saw pictures of John playing a clear one though). It had the 3 overlapping rings on the front head, Bonzo's "symbol".

Anyhow, all in all, a worthwhile evening!

2. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Was Keith Scott playing with Bryan? That guy has always had great tone and chops.

Mike

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Cool show report. I'm a huge fan of Bryan Adams, and Foreigner as well.

I've read some reports that some of those old Foreigner tracks like "Hot Blooded" were actually Fender Bassmans - Tweeds I think. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

5. Nolatone Ampworks

Yeah, he's lead guitar, had great tone, and just was a NUTS showman. He was a real hoot to watch!

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've seen him several times. Once as just a 3 piece with BA on Bass. And underrated guitarist. A tone monster. BA is one of my not so guilty pleasures.

Plexi's eh? Nice!

7. Nolatone Ampworks

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that since early Marshalls were based on the Tweed Bassman.

8. Nolatone Ampworks

Yeah, and all with 2 x 4x12 cabs! I swear I could see their pants legs flapping in the wind up there! :RoCkIn

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've seen him several times, I'vee seen him using Marshalls, as well as Voxes.

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

when I was a kid, I always thought Foreigner were a bunch of foreigners--you know, Brits or what not. boy was I disappointed when I found out they were plain old Americans...

11. fizbin

fizbin Member

I thought 3 were Brits, 3 were Yanks.

EDIT: yeah, here's the WIKI on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreigner_(band)#Band_history

12. John II

John II Member

I'm pretty sure Mick Jones was using Hiwatts back in the early days of Foreigner. "Feels Like the First Time" is one of my all time favorite rock tunes.

~John II

13. MBreinin

Keith's solo in "Cut's Like a Knife" may be one of the best Strat solos ever laid down. Now THAT guy is an underrated guitarist.

Mike

14. Burstplayer

Burstplayer Member

Keith is using a Blankenship Variplex 50 watt for his main amp now for dirty tones and AC 30 handwired for clean. Sounds real good.

The plexi re-issue is a back-up and not on.

Used mainly custom shop Fender Strats with the addition of a '54 Les Paul and '62 335 for some tunes.

Adams uses a AC15 for cleans and Plexi re-issue for dirty tones. He did use a '64 Strat for one tune I believe.

15. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Thats a concert I would go see! Foreigner is a shade before my 'time' but I'm with you guys on that early rock tone. Same with not being able to see a big backline of amps onstage, even though as gear heads we know they are usually 'dummy' cabs it's astheticly pleasing. On a side note I'm getting ready to go with IEM's andput my amp either way to the back pointing off to neverland or offstage altogether -space permiting. Maybe I need a big Marshall dummy stack? Any idea where to get one? :jo

16. radiomatts

radiomatts Member

So how many of you guys knew that Bryan Adams wrote something like three songs for KISS on their Creatures of The Night album?

Very underrated guitar talent.

17. MBreinin

Apparently, he writes songs for many people. Up until he started to puss out, I really liked BA.

Mike

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Keith Scott is one of my favorites. I love guys that are "meat and potatoes" players. Great tone, great chops and everything is always right for the song.

19. John II

John II Member

Not just strat solos. One of the best solos period. His tone is amazing!

~John II

20. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

I agree...that is a great solo and the guy is an inspiration to me. :dude