budda 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by raildog, Feb 15, 2006.

1. raildog

raildog Supporting Member

Has anybody heard these amps? what do they sound like? are they good with a strat? thanks,Scott

2. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i'm loving my sd45, and it sounds just devastating with a strat. check out the demo video on the budda website with joe bonamassa. it's a pretty good example of what these amps can do. the 18w version is just a little less huge sounding and won't reduce your house to it's foundation like the 45w will if you crank it.

if you have a chance to play one before you buy, you definately should. one piece of advice is to try it with the budda speakers. i tried several different cabs with my head before i realized that budda's cab is really designed especially for this amp and brings the best out of it.

i'm hoping to soon have some good live recordings from recent gigs where i used this amp. i'll make sure i post them as soon as i can.

best of luck,
    matt

3. onemind

onemind Member

My SD30 is on my "very" short list of gear I don't predict selling anytime in the near future, it's just about my favorite "rock" amp, great overdrive, one of the best EL84 amps I think.

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have the SD18....it's amazing how loud the lil puppy is. It's a good rock amp, tons of sustain, kinda creamy and a little thick.....like a milkshake. :)
    Used it last weekend with my friends Suhr strat and really enjoyed the tone.

5. raildog

Hi, so it is better for rock than blues? thanks,Scott

6. raildog

So, It's better for rock than blues? thanks,Scott

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

the clean channel is great for blues, and the derty channel is great for rock/blues rock. plus the "modern" setting is very aggresive and i bet would work well for heavier stuff.

check out the demo video and it'll give you a good idea of what the amp sounds like. i found that all the models are variations on the same basic sound with the differences as you'd expect from wattage/tube layout.

8. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I have a SD30, sounds awesome with single coils, P90's, and humbuckers. Great blues to hard rock tones, and it responds to your playing dynamics awesomely.

9. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

I have two old ('95 and '96) Twinmasters, a head and a 2x12 (kind of rare). I am typically a 60's Blackface Fender guy or a vintage Marshall guy. I LOVE these amps. They are loud, detailed and just fun to play through. On the low gain inputs they do a sort of Vox/Hiwatt thing and on the high gain input it crosses into Marshally territory. They have great bottom, nice, but not piercing highs, and s well voiced midrange. Not a ton of clean headroom, but attitude to spare and pedlas sound great through them. A Strat and a fuzz face rearely sounds so good.
    That's my 2 cents. These old Twinmasters are starting to climb in value but are still fairly cheap. Snatch one if you can.

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I have a SD30 and agree with all of the above. It's a pretty versatile amp - I've used it for all kinds of musical styles.

11. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I've got an SD30 also that I picked up about 7 months ago. I LOVE It. Great cleans and the overdrive channel is awesome. I had tried Marshalls, Carvins and other assorted amps. NOthing touches the Budda.

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Do you mean the SD18? I haven't tried that, though would love to. But I did own a Twinmaster 18 combo, one of the sweetest amps I've ever heard, it was a mistake to let that one go! :jo

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I own a Twinmaster 4x10 combo. Up until very recently it's been my main gig amp. I spoke with Jeff Bober (good friend & Budda designer) about my amp. Seems that Budda didn't make many Twinmasters in a 4x10 combo, and exactly one in tweed with a Budda bucket (built-in one space rack-mount holder); that'd be mine. So, I decided to retire it. I've played through the SD18 - GREAT amp, but it didn't sound like my Twinmaster. According to Jeff, the pre-amp circuit's a bit different.

All that said, the SD18 is a great amp. Very happening tones with either humbuckers or single coils. It gets a very fat Strat sound right (great overtones) out of the box - no pedals required. You will not be disappointed.

peace,

jb

14. goose

goose Guest

I've sold my Twinmaster Plus combo last year. There was a lot more headroom than 18w model, but it was deifinitely too loud. This one was 2x12 combo with built in attenuator. And serial was #1 (Twinmasters prototype) of course ;).

15. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

I definitely have to add to all the accolades for Budda amps. I've been playing through a 2001 18 watt Verbmaster 1x12 combo since it was brand new and it sounds great with Strats and Les Pauls. The amp is so carefully voiced that it doesn't seem to favor either (when using Jeff Bober-recommended tube types). I can switch between a Strat and Les Paul (both with vintage-type pickups) without tweaking a single knob on the amp.

16. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

Troubleman, what were the differences in sound between your Twinmaster and the SD18? Were you able to play the SD18 through your Twinmaster's speakers? I've been interested in a Superdrive because of the channel switching but I wonder what I would lose from my Verbmaster.

As a sidenote, I've played a friends 1996 Twinmaster 18 head through my Verbmaster's speaker and it sounded different too (as compared to the Verbmaster). The Twin was tighter and more direct sounding and had more gain. That Twinmaster was just sick sounding :eek:. I corresponded with Jeff about it and he offered to install a switch on the back of my Verbmaster so I could switch the 'verb completely out of the circuit and have an instant Twinmaster, but I've never gotten around to having it done...