• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Budda Amps -- I know next to nothing about them

LesPaulPlayer

edit: found out awhile back from Budda - the pre was always PCB, designed by the famous Dave Friedman.
Both the Superdrive 18 and Superdrive 30 started production with handwired versions but I do believe fewer 18s were handwired than 30s. An old Budda newsletter states that only the first 100 18s were to be handwired.

grndmstr_c

Both the Superdrive 18 and Superdrive 30 started production with handwired versions but I do believe fewer 18s were handwired than 30s. An old Budda newsletter states that only the first 100 18s were to be handwired.
I'm honestly surprised if they made that many. I've got one of the hand-wired 18s. Had tried to do some research on it a while back using wayback-machine. If memory serves, and as near as I could tell, the announcement about the SD18s showed up on budda.com just a couple months before NAMM, and then by the time NAMM was over all you could find on the Budda website was the Series II models. Good info on the newsletter, though. Thanks for posting.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I tried a SD18 combo years ago and it was the best amp I ever played at the time. Liked it so much I bought a SD30 head. Liked that but it was too compressed and dark for me. So I bought a SD45 head. Played that for a year and got bit by the Dumble bug. Went through Quinns, Fuchs and Two Rocks in that time (all killer amps) and in the end....I'm back to a Budda SD45 and I have a SD18 combo in transit. I'll have to find ways to brighten up the Sd18.

The Budda drive channels are probably some of the chewiest and thick OD tones out there. Marshall but with a warmth that Marshall doenst have.

SD18: voxy clean and chewy thick (dark) drive
SD30: see above. Very compressed drive.
SD45: JTM 45 on steroids. Much more open sounding than the above amps.
SD80: similar to 45. Very loud also.

The loops do tend to be noisy. I had noise with mine in the loop in my basement but no noise on the last gig. As for reliability...my old ones never had a problem. I'm currently having an issue with my new one though that I'm trying to figure out.
the sd45 and 80 are not so similar/
45 is way birghter.
80 is chewier and prettier.

Local GC has a used SD18 head. I went down and played it on Saturday and then again on Monday. I really wanted to like it so I could bring it home with me. But I just thought it was an awful sounding amp. Just not my thing I guess. YMMV

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
I have an early Twinmaster, and it is a handful to play. It's like the Ferrari of tube amps. I prefer the early Buddas to the later models, for much the same reasons I prefer early Fenders. I think the simpler designs were the best sounding. YMMV...
I've got one of their extremely rare Twinmaster Plus models...same thing only 4 EL84's in the power section. I just sent it back to Jeff Bober to work his magic on this now nearly 20 year old amp. It came back a screamin demon. He said there were "roughly" (records were lost in a hard drive crash) a dozen or so made of the Plus models. It sounds so f'n great it makes me giggle...I'll be buried with it.

I also have an SD45 that I also absolutely love. So loud it can wake the dead...such great articulation and feel.

jlinde

Local GC has a used SD18 head. I went down and played it on Saturday and then again on Monday. I really wanted to like it so I could bring it home with me. But I just thought it was an awful sounding amp. Just not my thing I guess. YMMV
My sd18 really needs to be cranked to sound good.. bedroom levels sound thin and weak, like most all amps. Once you get her breathing a bit, look out! Wonderful sounding amp. Built like a brick sh!t house. My only complaints are the shared eq and lack of reverb.

Classic09

the sd45 and 80 are not so similar/
45 is way birghter.
80 is chewier and prettier.
I always thought the preamplifier circuits were the same across the range with the only difference being the output tubes. Is that not the case?

Anyone know how much louder the 80 is than the 45?

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I always thought the preamplifier circuits were the same across the range with the only difference being the output tubes. Is that not the case?

Anyone know how much louder the 80 is than the 45?
it might be but the 45 is quite brighter.

Classic09

Aren't they descended from the Naylor Super Drive amps?
From what I understand, Naylor,Friedman and Budda all had an input into a preamp design. The three designers have amps which are fundamentally based on the same preamp design.

LHakim

My sd18 really needs to be cranked to sound good.. bedroom levels sound thin and weak, like most all amps. Once you get her breathing a bit, look out! Wonderful sounding amp. Built like a brick sh!t house. My only complaints are the shared eq and lack of reverb.
I use my SD18 at bedroom volumes on the gain channel and love how it sounds. I would think there was an issue w/the one the other poster tried out at Guitar Center, or, the cabinet/speakers were totally ill-suited to the circuit.

jlinde

I use my SD18 at bedroom volumes on the gain channel and love how it sounds. I would think there was an issue w/the one the other poster tried out at Guitar Center, or, the cabinet/speakers were totally ill-suited to the circuit.
I agree. I've never heard an awful sounding budda. something was definitely up with the amp he tried....or maybe a bad pickup on the guitar.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
I've got one of their extremely rare Twinmaster Plus models...same thing only 4 EL84's in the power section. I just sent it back to Jeff Bober to work his magic on this now nearly 20 year old amp. It came back a screamin demon. He said there were "roughly" (records were lost in a hard drive crash) a dozen or so made of the Plus models. It sounds so f'n great it makes me giggle...I'll be buried with it.
Will he still work on Budda's if asked?

Just got an SD18 and no issues I know of so mostly just curious. It is nice if the guy who designed the amp can work on it as I guess he'd know his way around the insides of the amp better than anyone else.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Will he still work on Budda's if asked?

Just got an SD18 and no issues I know of so mostly just curious. It is nice if the guy who designed the amp can work on it as I guess he'd know his way around the insides of the amp better than anyone else.

Yes, he still works on them.
I've had him do work on my Buddas. You only have to send him the chassis so shipping isn't that much.

http://www.jeffbober.com/

He installed a half-power switch in my SD30 and I had him sign it for me while he had it.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
I just saw some videos of him interviewing Leslie West and he seemed like a real down to earth guy and the signature on your amp only helps to confirm it.

Terry Hayes

Speaking of Jeff Bober, he supposed to have 2 prototypes of the new East Amplification Duality series at the NAMM show. They won't have a booth so I don't know where the amps will be. I hope I can check them out, they look really interesting.

http://eastamplification.com/

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I just saw some videos of him interviewing Leslie West and he seemed like a real down to earth guy and the signature on your amp only helps to confirm it.
He's always answered all of my emailed questions very promptly.
I'll explain any issues and he'll give me suggestions to try before sending him the amp for repair.
He replaced the tube sockets on a couple of my Buddas and that's been the extent of repairs needed.
His price for repair was very reasonable.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Superdrive80. Early one. I'm an overdrive junkie and it delivered big time till I got bit by the Rockerverb bug. Then the Splawn bug. Now the PWE bug . I need an exterminator.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
He's always answered all of my emailed questions very promptly.
I'll explain any issues and he'll give me suggestions to try before sending him the amp for repair.
He replaced the tube sockets on a couple of my Buddas and that's been the extent of repairs needed.
His price for repair was very reasonable.
Case in point, I called him and left a message. He texted me back in less than five minutes and said he'd call me after NAMM.

Trending Topics