Budda Love Apology...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OrangeAD30TC, Oct 22, 2008.

1. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I am sorry TGP. 90% of the time I see a "recommend me an amp" thread I end up saying the budda Superdrive is the way to go. The other 10% of the time someone has already said it.
    These things just do so much. I run mine through a Greenback/g12h30 combo.

2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Well you gotta spread the love don't ya. If ya think this is THE amp - then you should tell others ;) However if they were looking for a bass amp, a jazz amp or an acoustic amp...

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Perhaps you should change your screen name? You come across as an Orange fan but it seems you like Budda better? I used to own an Orange Rocker 30. Probably the most god awful cleans I have ever heard on a $1400 amp. The dirty stuff rocked though. I am hoping the Superdrive 18 I am getting ready to buy doesn't suffer from the same problem? Actually I have heard the cleans on the SD18 are very good. Can you confirm this?

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

I hear ya... I'm a Budda convert and I chime in whenever it comes up as well. For blues, rock or a variety of other styles, I can't imagine anything better. As for the question of cleans, I think it'll put a smile on your face!

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

The cleans are very nice.

Terry

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I use mine on the clean setting about 95 % of the time and use pedals for shades of OD ( I'm in a GB style variety band ).......We do a number of jazz standards, country, classic pop, R&B, Motown......and the SD18 gives me great cleans and serves as a wonderful backdrop with OD pedals of all types. Has never not had enough clean headroom for my purposes. I have a creation audio 4:23 in the loop that I use as an over all master volume once i get a good balance between the two channels and i get very, very, loud if needed.

I use the drive channel to rock with reckless abondon, and on a few more modern rock songs we do........and it always raises the hair on the back of my neck when i kick it in. Feels like a more powerful amp than 18 watts in general.........

7. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

No need to apologize. People ask an opinion, that's your opinion, you give it. Unless that's not your real opinion and you're just trying to throw us off the scent of good tone.....then that's just wrong, man.

8. mitch236

mitch236 Member

The Budda is a great amp! It continues to amaze me daily. The cleans are great and the drive channel is perfect for my uses. However, I am NOT a fan of their Phat drivers.

No need to apologize but you should change your screen name!

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Budda SD series are absolutely incredible.

10. qatcat

qatcat Member

I've got a 30 watt and an 18 watt, love them both but only need one

18 watt is for sale in the emporium!

11. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Just came back to the Budda camp. Seems like Series 2 is even louder than Series 1! The master is pretty effective, but I'll be hard pressed to get it past a 1/4 for the types of club gigs I do. It definitely has a nice distinct tone though that I like. Maybe JCM800 with a smoother high end and a little less stiff (due to the tube rectifier probably)? Plus the mid-adjustment of the modern sound is a great addition compared to the old one I had. Definitely gives the distortion a more modern sound and feel. More attack to it. The clean is great. Sounds every bit as nice as the normal channel of an AC30CC head I just head.

A question I have on this amp is how are you guys boosting for leads? Are you going through the loop? Anyone using an EQ through the front and how well does that work? I played with my pedal board in the loop, and it took some top end off of the overall sound. I don't really use time-based effects with heavy distortion so I was thinking of running my board out front of the budda. Most of my pedals are dirt boxes anyway.

12. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

What speaker(s) do you use with your Superdrive?

13. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I am running into a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. I sometimes will use a TR 2x12 sig cab on occasion if I want more bottom end.

The Phat speakers sound too harsh to me.

14. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

What did you like better about the 30? Just curious as I'm an 18 owner. I love mine.

15. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I had the same question... what happens if you stick a boost or OD in the loop?

My problem with a 2 channel and lead tones is that I like to have a clean, crunch, and lead tone all with increasing gain and volume. The problem is once I have the master volume set for a crunch tone kicking in a pedal for a lead boost just increases the gain but doesn't really allow me to step out front for a solo.

Thoughts?

16. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

The last time I played, I just let the sound man worry about how I sounded out front.

BTW, the WGS Veteran-30 sounds very good with the SD18...helps give it some more bottom and is a much fuller sounding speaker than the stock Phats.

17. Jimmydeez

I would never leave it up to the sound man... just my opinion but unless you work with the same guy all the time this is not a good idea.

18. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I use a G-System and can make it do exactly what you are describing. But buying the G-system certainly changes the cost to a great extent. Also, many people (myself included) find that using the G-system to change the output level of an amp robs much of the tone. What it does is to reduce the level in the loop while the boost is not engaged and then return the level to 0 when the boost is engaged. I'm sure you could find a pedal to do the same.

19. Jimmydeez

Right now I'm acctually using a Bad Cat Lil'15 for my clean and crunch tones and the Budda for my lead tones. But I wouldn't mind selling the Bad Cat if I could get my three sounds with the Budda.

20. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I am boosting my SD18 and SD45 with a boss ge7 eq pedal in the loop, works great. Didnt work so well up front when I was using the drive channel.