Budda reliability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Jun 26, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thinking about picking up a Superdrive, curious if anyone has one and has had any reliability issues. Reading the HC reviews (and I do take them with a grain of salt) there seem to be a lot of problems with the Superdrives.

Thanks

2. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

I've had an early numbered hand-wired PTP Superdrive 30 for over 4 years now with absolutely no reliability issues. My only complaints are that: 1) It does run very very hot (I cooked an EL-84 at a jam last week) and 2) The volume on the drive channel is much lower than that of the clean channel (I understand that Budda offers a mod to correct this issue). I rarely use the drive channel and tend to set the clean channel for a bit of dirt and use pedals for overdrive.

Other than that, I think it's a great amp and it takes pedals very well. I've had no experience with the PCP Superdrives that are currently being made.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i used a sd18 model II for a couple of years. i had issues with the volume settings as previously mentioned. i had to replace the rectifier socket but that was probably due to the previous owner being a doof. no reliability issues though. i decided after using it for a year that it didn't sound very "tubey" for lack of a better description. it sounded flat and lifeless compared to my rivera bm60 and modded pv c20.

4. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I have an early Series 1 that I bought used from a forum member. I gig with it weekly and have had no problems at all.

I will echo the unbalanced volume thing. I use a two amp setup so it's not a problem but it would be tough to channel switch it live.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I had two Budda Superdrives. I recently sold the combo and kept the head. They are phenomenal. They are early ones, and I've had them and used them for years. they work flawlessly and sound killer.

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Had my superrive 18 for about two years. Saw semi-regular use and never game me a problem. Never even changed a tube.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

much appreciated!

Can anyone help on the 18 vs 30 combo? I would be using it for lead only and using another amp for cleans...wondering if the 30 is going to have a noticeably fuller sound/bottom on the lead channel?

thanks again guys

8. I had an SD30II 1x12 combo and unfortunately sold it because of the reliability issues. It sounded amazing, but sometimes it wouldn't have any output; I think it had to do with how hot it ran.

9. propska

propska Member

I had a series II sd30 and after a couple months the fuse blew. I had it sent back to budda (under warranty) and they replaced the fuse and said they didn't find anything wrong with it. However, when I got the amp back, it had this strange static sound. New tubes didn't solve the problem, so I took it back to the store I bought it at and they replaced mine with a Series I SD. The series I didn't give me any problems. When I popped it open to do the volume mod, the amp was very well laid out and looked pretty hi-quality. I had it for about 5 years before I switched to a two amp set up.

I haven't tried the 18, so I can't chime in on that one. But, I didn't particuarly like the gain channel for leads. It never got quite focused enough for me; the gain was a bit too fizzy for my tastes. I ended up using the clean with a Barber DD for lead sounds.

If you are really intent on the budda stuff, you should try and get your hands on the new SD45. I absolutely love KT66s.

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

Been gigging with my Budda for nearly 5 years now and it hasn't even blown a fuse.........it's seen over 400 gigs....that about says is all

Rick

11. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

4 years straight with my Budda with an average of 2 gigs and rehearsals a month.

It's not a Superdrive though; it's a Verbmaster 18 and has the same power section a Superdrive 18 but with a different preamp (non master volume) and reverb. It's also hand-wired PTP.

The only problem I've had was a bad reverb cable and Budda sent me a replacement for free.

It does go through power tubes pretty quick though; about one set every six months.

12. bbobb24

bbobb24 Member

I've been playing through a Verbmaster for almost 2 years now with no problems at all. Of course I'm a livingroom player so it's not getting all the action that a gigging guitarist would give it, but to me it's the perfect amp, especially when the wife and kids are out so I can crank it. It's a shame that Budda discontinued it...

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Had no reliability issues with a Superdrive 30 Series II combo I owned, and wouldn't foresee any , but I preferred almost all of my other amps to that one. To some it might be the holy grail but I guess I have a bunch of holy grails! ERIC

14. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

You shoulda tried - I've tried a few different sets of new 6L6/5881's, as well as a $150 quad of NOS 7581A's, and a $300 set of NOS 6550's, and my favorite has been...<drum roll> the stock $40/quad chinese 5881's. Go figure. I mean, I'm sure they are cost-conscious just like every other amp company, but Jeff Bober ain't stupid.

15. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Reread my post and it came off snarky - didn't intend it that way, sorry about that. But yeah, the 80 eats power tubes like candy. I never had anything bad happen to the amp when a power tube went, though.