Budda SD-18 = too much gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure about this amp at all. I've heard some decent clips but they do seem a bit dark, compressed and "heavy" for lack of a better word. I have my master list of Voxy/Marshally amps that I'm keeping an eye out for and I have some trade bait as well. So, it makes it tough to thread the needle sometimes.
    Anyway, are my perceptions wrong that this black and purple amp is more of just a high(er) gainer 2 channel puppy with a lot of "nice to haves" but not quite enough simple, clean character. I guess for comparison I'm consider used Top Hat, Vox, Goodsell, Fender, Valvetech Haysee, Suhr Badger, etc... I just get the feeling this one is closer to my old Rivera Fandango than the others listed. The Rivera was a GREAT jack of all trades, but I did not jive with the gain channel. Thoughts?

2. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

Imo, the Budda is the most versatile of the bunch. The od channel is somewhat dark and compressed but not exactly what I'd call "heavy" Spend some time with one and I think you'll love it. With a strat it is absolutely "killer" Stellar with a 'paul'

3. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Yes Budda is dark when all knobs show 12 o'clock :) and I love it. But, the range for EQ is quite large and by turning up mids and treble, you can get a much brighter tone. Also Modern switch brightens the amp QUITE a bit, most people use it with modern switch engaged. I was skeptical about using it cause I'm more of a vintage tone freak but then I realized you can get vintage tones with the modern switch too.

And Yes Budda is heavy, but it's not at the same time. Clean channel, when preamp is at noon-2pm gives you great mild crunch tone similar to Vox but a tad darker. Boosting that with a TS would give you great bluesy solo tones, without a boost it nails AC/DC Back in Black if you like that kind of tone.

You can never be disappointed with a Budda SD18, it is a very versatile amp and it is highly recommended to any blues/rock/heavy rock player. It goes into metal territory but the amp is NOT built for that. Check out my recordings without any effects. This is a Budda SD18 II Combo with an HSS Fender Strat with a Dimarzio Paf Pro in the bridge. Crazy train is with all EQ at noon, drive at noon, it is a dark tone. The Trooper and Smells Like Teen Spirit are recorded with modern switch engaged, Mids and Treble a little past noon, bass at noon.

soundclick.com/thebluebus

4. Gasp100

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I have actually heard your stuff before, very cool. What's the difference between the original and the Mark II?

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I love my SD 18 1x12 combo. More versatile than many realize. Nice punchy cleans and a very versatile gain channel - I can easily dial in mild classic rock and blues tones , modded marshall brown tones or more modern heavey metal tones....You get the gain channel as thick and harmonicall rich as you want or very bright as well....

I keep the gain ( or " drive" ) on mine at about 10 - o clock - thats all the gain I need for great classic rock tones. Amp is very sensitive to your picking and volume knob changes as well...

But we do a few more modern rock tunes and for those I just turn up the drive and get a very pro sounding modern gain sound - it's sounds very pro and contemporary if that makes sense, with tight bass sound and all ( and I use tele's mind you ! )....

So I go from jazz to pop, country, disco, R&B, classic rock , blues to modern metal all with this amp and a few pedals..........

I will tell you I own both the SD30 and SD18. The 18 sounds a little fuller and "darker " if you will. The 30 is just a smidge brighter and modern sounding. IMHO i find it easier to get more classic/vintage sounding guitar tones from the 18 - maybe that info will help you. But I like the fact that the 18 seems to push a bit more low end ( that can be dialed out if wanted )

6. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

One of the best amps I have and still own.

7. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Mark I does not have a modern switch... but it is PTP. So Mark II is much more versatile yet would not have as much resale value as Mark I.

I mind the tone not the resale value... I strictly prefer Mark II :)

8. Gasp100

This does help... I play Tele's too ;)
    Well, it's surely on the list now. Thanks!

9. Gasp100

Could you compare the cleans to something like a Fender (BF - warmer, scooped mids, bell like) or more like a Vox (more mid range, jangley, chime)? Does the gain clean up well with volume knob on guitar?
    Also, how is the MV -- this is very important being a mostly home player. I'd love a kick ass grab and go, but to be totally honest 99% of the time right now it's going to be just lonely old me jamming in the home studio and recording. I can let fly during the day (work from home) sometimes, but at night it has to get really quiet. Does this hold up well at low volumes?

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

SD30 series I head owner here.

- The cleans are more Vox/Marshall like than Fender - more high end and midrange jangle - but, plenty of bite and bark if you crank it.
    - The amp reacts extremely well to volume changes on the guitar. Extremely dynamic.
    - One of the best MVs around, IMO. It sounds extremely organic and fat at low volumes.

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Too much gain?...you can turn the gain knob down and have a more cleaner sound. :D

Most of the tracks you heard were likely with the gain dimed (which ain't bad).

I think the SD18 compares favorably with my 1987 Plexi clone in the basic pick attack structure, which is one of the highlights of the SD18. It is a pickers amp.

I also didn't get the impression that it was dark, but then I had everything maxed, including the modern switch pulled. Probably not quite as bright as a Plexi, but then that depends on which channel is which.

And yes, this would be a cool amp to do Stratty tones...lots like some of the old Hendixy stuff since it sounds a lot like a Plexi.:JAM

12. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

The master volume is a "best in class" . Very, very good. If you've searched the forum you've seen that the budda always seems to get rave reviews.

13. Gasp100

Thanks all. It's going up against some stiff competition (in my eyes) most of which I have either owned in the past (and sold stupidly) or just gets amazing reviews all of the time. It does sound nice and the build quality and versatility look really good as well. I will report back if I make a move.
    :drink

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I'd say the cleans are certainly more vox like - but with just a hint of fender thrown in the mix....I really like the cleans I get out of mine - and cleans are more important to me than gain to tell you the the truth ( although as I mentioned earlier I love the gain i get out of this ). I listen to the cleans first when i buy an amp and the gain second

Also, it's very easy to get great tones at low volumes - great master volume, no worries there.

And dont let 18 watts fool you - if inclined you can jam and gig with one of these no problem...

I think it's a great choice for tele's and single coils in general....

15. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Where in Delaware are you? I'm right across the state line in Md within 30 minutes of Seaford/Laurel/Delmar. You could always try mine.

16. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I just want to throw in my opinions that might not have been addressed.

Please keep in mind speaker choice, I beleive the the Budda Phat 12 speaker plays an important role in what alot of people are hearing and why sometimes we see Budda owners with conflicting opinions. The Phat 12 is what I play through. It is made by eminence for Budda and I think i remember reading it was a tweaked v30 type of speaker. I say v30 type loosely. One reason these amps are said to be the loudest is because the Phat 12 is rated at 100db. Most of us are used to 96 db. For that reason I am impressed at the shear volume this amp produces. Another one of my observation is the speakers power handling. I beleive it to be a pretty high wattage speaker. I say that because it is consistent and doesnt seem to break up at low volumes. I think the speaker is really helping the MV sound better because the speaker doesnt seem to be changing much in terms of compression until you really turn it up. This IMHO makes in a really great bedroom amp. I agree that the amps clean channel is more voxy but with alot of EQ tweaking, I dont miss my 1969 bandmaster revern when I plug my strat into the budda. I really can get Fender tones that on stage are stellar. In the studio where nuances are important I would of course take the fender. Also some people still think that single channel amps have great tone because there is not switching and with channel switching comes a sacrifice in tone. I would still by this amp even if it was only the clean channel. If you crank the master and keep the pre amp low, the clean channel is chimey and harmonically packed. Its super punchy. But if you role up the pre amp gain you gan get a great plexi-ish (loosely again) gain that is even punchier. Role back the volume knob or like I do use a guitar with coil tap/singles and you get a clean, still powerful and not lacking in any way.

Lastly, With every multichannel amp I have owned, I dial in a clean sound that I like, then dial in a chrunch that I like. After I play the crunch when I go back to clean, it just sounds wimpy. Maybe there are less harmonics, maybe its sustain but the cleans always sound lame. I did not find this with the budda however. With the Budda I dial in a clean and smile, I dial in a crunch and grin, and when I switch back to clean i am laughing. Ok not really but you get the idea.

17. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Great post and right on !

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

if you want a more fender oriented budda u will need the sd80.

i think the guys at budda are giving you 6 months of an free arena lease when you buy the amp
    I think the Marlins Stadium if you get the SD80 :D

19. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I just sold a SD18 head & 2x12 cab. I don't have a bad thing to say about it. One of the best warm crunch tones out there IMO. FX loop worked great. Clean channel is good, not great, but better than alot of channel switchers out there. I also have a Goodsell (since you referenced it). The S17 is a wonderful amp, great cleans and the best clean-dirt transition I've heard.

20. Ricker

Ricker Member

he he he.....
    yeah I got the sd80 too but don't often get the arena to play it in........
    But when I do it's just killer....that's why I bought the 18

The sd80 with the brite pulled is very Fender especially with a Fender Strat.

The sd18 is a rockin amp.
    Great to take when you have to fly to another town for a gig.
    The head is so light I can still pack a pair of underpants and not get charged for being over weight at the airport.....
    Stick an EQ pedal in the loop if ya want more bottom out of it.
    It will compress a little sooner with the bottom pumped but it sounds great....

Rick