Budda SD-18 w/ Zendrive vs. Ceriatone OTS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by creatorcreator, Jan 22, 2012.

1. creatorcreator

creatorcreator Member

I really like my Budda Superdrive 18, but like many I've always coveted that Dumble tone. I have the money now to either sell my Budda and buy a Ceriatone OTS, or keep my Budda and buy a Zendrive. Does anyone have experience with a Zendrive into a Budda? My Budda has been somewhat unreliable--the volume jumps up and down on the clean channel. But, it has a great dirty clean, which I like, and a fantastic overdrive. I'm torn...

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I don't really think that a zendrive thru an sd18 is gonna give you the dumble thing but i tjink it will be cool sounding. Tone, feel,touch sensitivity...very different. But remember that a dumble style amp is very Fendery by nature. Your Buddha is from the Marshall side of life. I owned some Two Rocks andFuchs versions but ended up selling them all when I realized that I just don't like Fender amps

3. fabien

fabien Member

Hi,

I have an OTS for a couple of years now. Great amp! Warm Fender cleans and the Dumble overdrive, Ford/Carlton tones pretty close. It's great as is but gets even better when tweaked to your liking (by someby knowledgable). Now my OTS is punchier, more balanced, better OD and the notes 'bloom' like crazy.

I've tried the Zendrive of a friend (it was a Zendrive 2 with a tube) and it's really very close to the lead tone I get on my OTS (note: pedal on the clean channel of my OTS, didn't try on another amp). What you don't have with the pedal is the clean tone of the OTS with the EQ switches variations. For that you need the Ethos but that's another budget cookie.

Now two days ago I bought a Budda SD18 head so now I can compare both amps side by side. Pretty different animals!

OTS clean is clean, clean, clean. Warm with sparkle, tight bass, shimmering, and very direct response (diode rectifier must be for something). Unless you push the clean volume toward 9 or 10 (maxxed) there's not a hair to be heard.
    OTS OD is singing with blooming notes, fat but not too much, very defined, bass extremly tight and very direct as the clean side. Again Ford/Carlton comes to mind.

SD18 clean is very clean but fat with el84 sparkle and there's always a hair present that increases gently with the volume up to a nice OD when maxxed.
    SD18 drive is less direct, more spongey Marshall, fat fat fat, great singing and sustain but not the Dumble bloom.
    (well why do I explain that, you own an SD :huh)

I'd say that (as many already mentionned around here) the Budda is Vox/Marshall where the OTS is Fender/Dumble (actually only Dumble but Dumble ODS are rather Fender oriented, though not all of them). I find both amps addictive and (though I only just got the SD) wouldn't want to miss any of them.
    It took me awhile to bond with the OTS. A friend of mine bought one and I didn't like it at first but started to grow on it so when he sold it after a year I bought it. I bought the SD18 after playing it only 1 1/2 hour at the store, I had to have it! Even if the OTS will remain my main amp (I play jazz rock/fusion).

So by swapping amp you will gain the great Dumble clean but lose that great Budda clean with a hair and swap the OD type and with a Zendrive you'll just add a sort of close Dumble OD to your Budda, it's all about choice.

I hope this is more enlightning than confusing.

I have a G2D Custom Overdrive and Creamtone OD (New Zeland made pedals) both great pedals, I love both, check them out. Well the custom OD (a pedal with a very low gain and a high gain boost) sounds quite identical on both the OTS and the SD and is actually quite close to the ODS OD tone on the OTS and close to the SD drive on the SD while the SD and OTS do sound differently, it's a sort of bridge. Most noticeable effect is to tighten the bass quite dramatically, great to have that when needed.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Cheers
    Fabien

4. creatorcreator

creatorcreator Member

Thanks. That tells me about everything. How is the rhythm on the od of the OTS? It will be my fulltime amp, so it needs to be able to hang with the band in every way.

5. fabien

fabien Member

Providing you do not use too much gain on the amp it cleans up about as well as the SD with the guitar volume pot so all sorts of crunch can be achieved. It's a 45 watts so it will hold with a band unless your other guitar player has a Mesa 100+ watts cranked just to cope with the drummer :messedup

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

True, but I'd say the HRM D-styles can be very Marshall-like, due to the post-OD tonestack.