Budda SD 30 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lpaul626, Aug 30, 2008.

1. lpaul626

lpaul626 Silver Supporting Member

After having used my Budda SD 30 (I) for a few gigs, it's clear the amp is considerably more "noisy" on the drive channel than my other amps at gig volumes including my Shiva and Peavey c30. From what I've read, the amp is known as a "quiet" amp.

I'm running the amp with the gain at 1:00 and Master at 9-10. Is it typical for this amp to give off this much noise at this level? When our band stops playing all you can hear is the Budda (which I control with the gtr volume, but still noticeable nonetheless).

Any thoughts would be appreciated-

Thanks!

2. anibas

anibas Member

Hi.I've got a series I SD30 as well,and it sound like a preamp tube issue to me.These amps shipped with Sovtek power tubes and preamp tubes,IIRC,and seem to be voiced around them.You might try replacing the V1 and/or V2 tubes with new or NOS 12AX7's and see if that helps with the noise issue.I've also found mine to be hard on rectifier tubes,and that it needs a change of power tubes every couple of years at the latest.You've got a great amp with what is most likely a minor problem,mikjwilli-good luck with the fix.

3. lpaul626

Thanks. I just tried the preamp tubes. The previous owner had replaced the stock preamps with JJs. I tried new preamps (Electro h 12ax7s) with no noticeable difference.

Would the amp need to be rebiased with a new rectifier tube change?

I also read that the amp doesn't need to be rebiased with a power tube change. Is this accurate?

4. DavidE

DavidE Member

I gigged with mine last night for the first time and had issues with noise, or more accurately hum, on the gain channel but also with the clean channel when using gain boxes. It didn't do that at home, so I'm guessing it was the power or something at the club BUT I was plugged into a Furman AR1215 (first time using that as well). I'll try it again tonight and see if I have the same issue.

I'll report back.

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

There are some venues where my Budda SDs can get a bit noisy with single coils and higher gain.............but that's normal and gets worse with dimmer switches and bad power etc etc.

With Humbuckers it should be real quiet otherwise there is a problem.........either with the amp or the power that is being supplied.
    At most venues I run my drive channel sometimes full and it very quiet.
    Not as quiet as my Shiva but pretty quiet.

Rick

6. lpaul626

Thanks Dave. I've actually noticed the "noise" at home and at various venues.

Looking forward to the follow up.

7. lpaul626

Thanks. I've only used it with my LPs.

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

Another club and still had the same issue, but our sound guys had hum in the monitors as well. I'm going to have to set it all up at home and see if I can repeat the issue. Again, I plug in to a Furman AR1215. If it's something endemic to the amp, it's not going to work for me.

9. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

FYI, some of this is normal, just depends on how bad it is...
    Using anything in front of the amp that's causing this?
    Anything in the loop making noise?
    How about your cables....what kind are you using?
    What happens when you unplug everything from the amp?

No bias on rectifier tube or power tubes. Try the JJ EL84 power tubes.

10. kselbee

kselbee Member

Another option which hasn't been mentioned... call the guys at Budda. They're great to deal with and will help you out. Make sure you try EVERYTHING before getting rid of it... such a great amp, you don't want to lose it.

11. lpaul626

I haven't used the loop yet. Everything's "in front". It's the same rig I use with my Shiva with no noise at all. I'm using Monster 100s.

I haven't tried the JJ power tubes though. May give those a shot.

12. lpaul626

I was planning to do that first thing this week. Funny thing is that I used to have a JCM 600 head from the 90s that was known as a noisy head. The noise I'm getting from the Budda rivals the noise I was getting from the 600 :(.

I love the amp's tone and features. It's exactly what I was looking for in terms of a combo alternative to my Shiva for gigs. Hopefully it can be remedied.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  13. anibas

anibas Member

It's got to be something simple,man-I've had mine for 6 1/2 years and only had to deal with tube replacements so far.Good advice from kselbee-call Budda and see if this a common problem to them,and if there's any simple fixes that they can suggest besides the preamp tube swap.Best of luck,and I hope the amp works out in the long run for you.

14. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Jeff @ budda will straighten it out. Is this a used or new amp?
    It should not be making that kind of noise. Somethings amiss.

15. lpaul626

It is a circa 2001, I believe. I bought it in May from a fellow TGP'r.

16. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I've had no noise issues whatsoever with my SD 30- sounds like something is outta whack. Have you tried plugging directly into the amp with a cable you know is a-ok? If that fails to fix it, mos def give the folks at Budda a call. Super people to talk to. They'll get ya hooked up.

17. DavidE

DavidE Member

I checked my rig out today. The issue was in the amp. The noise level on the gain channel didn't bother me. There really wasn't very much hiss, but I had a hum that I could not live with. Just as bad as a single coil hum but with humbuckers. I tried several guitars and a couple of cables as well. I could make the hum go away by turning the guitar different directions. Very odd and an issue I don't have with any other amp.

But, I think I figured it out.

I tried a couple of preamp tubes in V1. I had a TAD ECC83 in there. I mistakenly put in a 12AT7 first that sounded fine on the clean channel but the gain channel just rang like a feedback loop. Whoops. I then put in a Sovtek 12ax7aWB and that tamed the hum issue. It actually sounds good in this amp as well.

I'll gig the amp Friday and see how it does. I have some others to try as well including new Tungsols, some NOS USA, Sovtek 12ax7aWXT, etc.....

I'd suggest messing with the tubes first.

18. lpaul626

Well... I contacted the guys at Budda. They got back to me immediately which was great. Unfortunately, not good news:

"...Seeing as how you describe it as a "hum", and replacing the pre-amp tubes did not alleviate the condition, my next guess would be that at some point in its life the amp had a catastrophic output tube failure that damaged one of the hum balance resistors in the filament circuit. Not something that is "user serviceable"..."

Can't be a good thing anytime "catastrophic" is used to diagnose an equipment issue. :jo

Thanks to all who replied-

19. DavidE

DavidE Member

So, if it gets better with different preamp tubes it should be ok?

20. lpaul626

Apparently so. I just spoke with my amp tech located in the Providence area and he didn't seem to think it was a big deal, especially if you're still getting sound from the amp. We'll see . . .