Budda SD II 30 2x12 final review...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BadAssBill, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

After spending about two weeks with my Budda I thought I'd post my thoughts on it.
    Cons:
    1. The bass response is still weak. I havn't run it through another cabinet yet to see if it's the speakers. However, whatever the reason...there should be no excuse for bass response like this in a botique amp. There are times when it's ok (middle position LP) and times when it just has very little umph. What's wierder is that the bass seems like it's better half way than all the way up. I don't get it.
    This is really it's only weakness.
    Pro's:
    1. It's cleans are very good. Plenty of clean headroom with Fender sparkle. There is seperation and chime in chords...it's nice.
    2. The overdrive is simply fantastic. Very Marshall like (I prefer the modern switch even though it doesn't sound very modern to me) overdrive that has a nice bite to it.
    3. It plays well with both single coils and humbuckers.

Lastly...it's very close to the perfect amp. Being in a cover band...it covers a lot of ground for a very reasonsable price and 30 watts is perfect. I'm still on the fence if I'm going to keep it as I havn't let a lot of amps collect dust recently.

I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this amp as well...

Bill :RoCkIn

2. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

It's definitely one of my dream amps!

3. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I love my SD30 head. I smile every time I turn it on. I still think your bass response problem is in the speaker wiring. Before I recently purchased a Budda 2-12 closed cab, I was running it through a Mesa open backed 2-12 cab with the stock 90 watt Celestions, and it sounds fantastic through both. I liked this amp so much, that I am purchasing a SD18 1-12 combo this week for smaller gigs.

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey man.... did you at least try to see if the speakers were wired in the correct phase? Seriously, i've had the same problems and that fixed it. Try it out and at least let us know that it doesn't do anything.

5. BadAssBill

I took a look at the wiring, yes. I'm not positive what I'm looking for exactly though. It looked correct, but I have no way of knowing for sure. The connections for both speakers are on the inside. Looking directly at it from the back...on one, the tan is up, on the other, the white is up. Seems to make sense since they are inverted towards eachother. Do you guys have a pic of how it should be?

What was switched incorrectly on the one's you've used?

6. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

BAB,

I've had an Emi speaker that was incorrectly labeled. So even though it was wired up right with the other speaker, it was still out of phase. So, I had to wire it backward to make it sound right. You can reverse the wires and try it out......just swap the tan and white wires going to the second speaker. It won't hurt anything. Just give it a try to see.

7. jetwolf

jetwolf Member

I have an older point-to-point SD30. I ended up adding an additional volume knob to it. I haven't been using it as my main amp lately, but it always seemed to me that the amp used vox-type, highly interactice eq controls and that the sweet spot always seemed to be in the middle of the range. If you would boost any frequency all the way up, it would be unfocused, especially the bass. My 2 cents. My favorite sound out of the amp is the chimey grind from channel one.

8. 35091

35091 Member

I would try it through a cab to see what happens. The budda I had was the SD-18 1x12 combo and I wouldn't have described the bass response weak, but I guess it would be relative to what you are comparing it too.

9. jetwolf

jetwolf Member

The amp has a decent amount of bass, but not compared to some of my other amps. I do really like the amp, though. A huge, tight low end would not likely be the strength of any EL84, cathode biased, tube-rectified 30 watt amp, though.

10. BadAssBill

I'm not comparing it to a Marshall. My Hot Rod Deluxe has more Bass. The Budda has Bass, (and maybe I'm describing it wrong) but it's more of a midrange Bass...not something that thumps or has power. I've turned down the mids, etc...to try and balance it out...but no luck. With a 2x12 I shouldn't even be 3/4 of the way up on the bass.
    Maybe I just had different expectations of it, but I think it takes away from some of the fullness and warmth I feel this amp could produce. I'll try and put it through the Marshall cab tonight.

11. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Make sure you post what you find.

Definitely just try changing the 2 leads on one speaker. (do you have to solder?)

Also, you'll know for sure when you try it with your Marshall cab. Its an excellent head.

12. H Golf Sport

H Golf Sport Supporting Member

I have the superdrive 18 1x12 combo. I know what you mean by lack of bass.
    I was used to the bass response of boogies and blackface fenders. My solution was to put a graphic eq. pedal in the effects loop. If placed before the input it adds a whole lot of noise but adds almost none in the loop. I use a (soft?) v shape and drop the high end to get rid of the ice pick effect and boost the bass freq. to get the bass response I need. Works great for around the house volumes and I can switch it off for high volumes. It seems not to be needed the louder the amp gets. Also I seem to not need it if the back side of the amp is not close to or facing a wall.
    I also use it as a boost and back off the gain on the amp. Kinda like a second lead channel.
    Try something cheap. I am using a Dan Electro Fish and Chips. I think it was $25 or $30 locally.

Aloha, Rob.

13. BadAssBill

Great idea Rob! I have the boss EQ that I use as a boost pedal...but maybe I'll try and do that in the effects loop to add some low end. With an 18 watt 1x12 I could cut it a little slack...but this should not be a problem with a 2x12....and everything else with the amp sounds so amazing. I'm pretty sure the speaker leads are soldered on there, and look to be configured correctly.
    I'll see if I can find out any more tonight by putting it through the Marshall cabinet.

14. buddaman

buddaman Member

Hi there. I had the Budda SD 80II 2x12 combo. I found that a closed back cabinet sounded much better to my ears.

So I bought a head box and converted it. I then sold off my empty 2x12 combo box and started looking at 2x12 cabs with closed backs. The best I found was the Port City Music Wave 2x12. Great design and UNREAL sound.

You can call Budda and get a head box if you want to do the same. As for the Wave 2x12 cab by Port City Music here is their link if you are interested.

www.portcitymusicsupply.com

15. Denny

Denny Member

I'm VERY surprised to read that a boogie had more bass response than a Budda SDII , 18 WATT 1x12!! I sold off my Mesa Nomad 1x12 because it lacked the bass response that the Budda had - BIG TIME!. Both were open back cabs, completely stock, but the Budda's is considerably larger than the Mesa's. it has a great response, a great low end "thunk" when chuggin chords and soloing. "Veddy interesting"!!

D.

16. kingsxman

Still waiting to hear how it sounded with your Marshall cab. What kind of cab was it again? I was trying some different cabs with my SD45 yesterday. A few Marshalls (but not a good Marshall) and a couple "no name" cheapies. Nothing still sounded as good as my Bogner 2x12 or a Budda 4x12.

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

hey! what about my bogner 4x12?!?

lol...;)

18. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

As I stated above, sometimes speakers can mis labeled, so even though the wires look like they are hooked up correctly, they will be out of phase. You may have to wire it "in reverse" to get it in phase. I know because it happened to me with an Eminence speaker, which is who makes them for Budda.

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I ran a Budda Super Drive 45 through a Bogner 4x12 - UNREAL!
    It's a different but no less wonderful sound through a Budda 4x12. Those cabs mated to the SD45 cannot be beaten....

peace,

jb:BEER

20. kingsxman

Hey, I still liked your bogner 4x12 best. Too damn big though. I'm getting too old. FWIW, I'm leaning towards the deal. The added cost of the grille cloth and casters (about $80) are giving me a bit of pause though.
    Trying to figure out if stock Budda cloth might be the way to go. But Salt and pepper grill cloth on that cab would look cool...