Budda SD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarman1956, Feb 19, 2015.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

About a year ago, I tried the SD30 head. Great amp, but a bit dark for me as I've found some others (not all) feel the same way. Recently I replaced a G12H30 with a WGS Invader which is a higher powered greenback. Opened the cabinet right up. Now I'm thinking I should give the Budda another shot.

Thoughts?

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

You absolutely should! I'm a SD30 (series I) head owner. Yes, it is a warm sounding amp but, it can definitely get bright by cranking the treble. The tone controls are very interactive, IMO. Little tweaks do a lot. Use your ears with the, not eyes.

I run my SD30 head into various cabs but, yes - G12H30s are a great speaker with them and can help open up the top end.

Give the amp another shot. It's truly one of he best, IMO.

3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I have owned a SD30 head/cab for about 15 years (got one of the first ones) and find the gain channel a bit dark. I have thought about replacing one of the Budda Phat speakers with something else many times but never got around to it. A G12H30 was a speaker that I was considering.

There is a simple mod that can be done to brighten the amp and another popular mod to better balance the levels between the two channels. I did the channel balance mod, but not the other one. And I don't know if the mods only apply to the original amps or the Peavy made amps.

Some info about mods here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=165005

I would be curious to hear what speakers others are using with their Superdrives.

4. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Kick ass amp. I play a 40w Budda 1x12 combo through a 2x12 w/Invaders and it's f'n tits. I play the combo Budda speaker, and the 2x12 semi-open and it has just the right amount of bite to my ears. Ungodly loud.

I'm new to Budda amps and can't believe what I was missing. Awesome amps. Killer speakers too. I also have G12h's, V30's in the house too, in different 2x12's, but the WGS speakers are absolutely killer.

5. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

I play an older SD 30 Series 1 head through a closed-back replica Bassman 2x12 cab with a V30 and a GH12T-75, and get a nice big, balanced tone from it.

I actually find that my 1x12 SD 30 combo (Budda speaker) can get brighter than I want.

6. Jpower79

Jpower79 Member

I rock my SD30 through greenback/reaper loaded cabs (have a set at home and one at practice pad).

Amazing speaker for that amp.

I like my SD45 with Vintage 30s oddly enough.

7. ethomas1013

Aren't the Budda Phat speakers based on a V30?

8. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

I believe I read that elsewhere...

9. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I read they were pretty much the same as the Eminence Wizard. Also that they were a cross between the V30 and CL80 speakers.

I have a V30 loaded 4x12 cab as well as the Budda 4x12 and there are similarities although the Budda has a flatter frequency range.

10. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

The SD30 was probably one of the best amps I ever owned. It's warm on the drive channel, no doubt. But I loved that.

Also, the SD18 isn't as dark if you want to go that route. I found it a little brighter and edgier.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've loved my SD30 but sold it, kept my SD80, Had 'em since the late 90's I think. I got so many compliments from sound men at various clubs. They'd tell me the tone was killer out the fronts and liked it better than the usual Marshall/5150s they were seeing at the time from all the bands. Used those amps for many gigs, and hardly a gig would go by I wouldn't get a compliment on that amp's sound. Man, it had a silky singy quality and if my playing was on, sounded like a violin or something. No distorted fizz at all like so many amps, just clean sustain like power amp drive, guys would ask what the effect is making. I was just plugging straight in.

I came from using old Marshalls and they really cut. The Budda is much warmer/thicker. Only trouble I had sometimes was using both channels as it's a bit of a compromise. There's a mod for that, and I did it, but it changed the tone just a tad, so I switched back to stock. I treated it as a single channel amp. The SD30 is super middy, I liked the SD80 because it was more open sounding but just so loud, but had more lows to balance some of those mids. I'd probably be happiest with an SD45. But these days, I'm on a Fender clean amp kick..

12. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

The SD45 is ridiculously loud as well. I had one but quickly had to move it because the master went from nothing to blow your doors off with little in between.

I tried the 18/30/45 over the years. I liked the 30 the best.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's how the 80 is. off/loud. But ways around that.

14. ethomas1013

Too bad the master doesn't have a little more usable taper. I would love to get a SD45 and have read that the taper is too quick from a lot of people. I never really thought about it, but can the taper of the MV be easily modded? Guess I should email Jeff Bobber to ask.

15. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

16. Jpower79

Jpower79 Member

I'll have my 45 around 2 (out of ten) and the 30 will be around 7-8 ust to get close to matching...its insane

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

The SD30 is a great amp.
    The 18 is a tad brighter, the 45 is a lot brighter.
    I've owned the 18, 30 & 45 and actually prefer the SD18.

18. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The taper on the SD45 isn't so bad. It does have quite an extreme taper but it's manageable.