• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Budda SD18 2x12 combo. Anyone?

demea26

Anyone had one? How much different are they from a SD18 with a 2x12 cab?

I see one locally and am seriously jonesing for it, but finding any information from someone thats actually spent time with one is almost impossible .

Also, how are the Budda Phat 12 speakers? Comparable to...?
I've had a SD30 series II previously, but played it through a Marshall cab with V30's

Thanks!

Classic09

I can only guide you on my experience with the SD30 and SD45 heads, having never owned or played an SD18.

This forum leqds me to believe the SD18 and SD30 are very similar with the 30 having more clean headroom than the 18.

Thr difference between the V30 and Phat12 is that the Phat12 is darker than the V30. It's not a good or bad thing, just different. I personally prefer the Phat12's although I understand the Budda amps were originally designed to work with V30's. You wouldn't be disappointed with either speaker pairing.

I can not comment on the combo vs cab.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
My main gigging amp is a Budda SD18 2x12 combo.
I've tried my SD18 thru an Avatar 2x12 cab with Phat speakers and if I recall correctly it sounded a little fuller with the separate head & cab BUT I really like the convenience of a combo and sold my Avatar cab.

If you get the SD18 2x12 combo you can always add a separate cab later. There's an additional speaker output on the amp.
If you didn't have a separate 2x12 cab to compare it to you wouldn't miss it. I don't miss my cab.

I absolutely LOVE the phat speakers. So much so that I've purchased a few extras. I put one in my Splawn Supersport combo and it is SO much better than the stock splawn speaker.

demea26

My main gigging amp is a Budda SD18 2x12 combo.
I've tried my SD18 thru an Avatar 2x12 cab with Phat speakers and if I recall correctly it sounded a little fuller with the separate head & cab BUT I really like the convenience of a combo and sold my Avatar cab.

If you get the SD18 2x12 combo you can always add a separate cab later. There's an additional speaker output on the amp.
If you didn't have a separate 2x12 cab to compare it to you wouldn't miss it. I don't miss my cab.

I absolutely LOVE the phat speakers. So much so that I've purchased a few extras. I put one in my Splawn Supersport combo and it is SO much better than the stock splawn speaker.
Great info, thanks man. What kind of music do you play? Anything you don't like about the amp?

I'm working the deal out now and should have the amp tomorrow.

Thanks!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I’m currently in three cover bands that play Classic Rock, Country, Pop & Blues.
Covering a wide variety like Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, John Michael Montgomery, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy, GnR, AC/DC, Pink, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Grace Potter etc, etc, etc.

This amp does it all with no compromises. Sounds fantastic on all of the material.

The SD18 has more than enough volume for every gig I’ve done. I play lots of smaller Honky Tonk bars, medium size sports bars/clubs and outdoor festivals. NEVER have I wished I had more volume. Usually don’t mic it at the clubs and I rarely get the MV past 9:00.

Played a large outdoor show a couple of weeks ago and was thinking I’ll really turn it up at this gig. At about 11:00 on the MV I was drowning out our drummer (pretty hard hitter) and had to back the volume down to around 9:00.
This is seriously one of the best amps I’ve played thru.

I sold my JCM800 after getting my Buddas.

grndmstr_c

The Budda Phat speakers are very, very efficient. Noticeably louder than an EVM12L Classic, for example. Good match for the amp, though. Not sure whether it means anything for a 2x12, by I like the combo cab on my Series 1 SD18 1x12 combo. Came to really appreciate its resonance at higher volume settings once I'd gotten to open up the amp some and figured out my preferred settings.

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
Agreed-Way underrated amp-I had an SD 18 for awhile and let a buddy talk me out of it-He's still got it years later, but I have dibs if he sells....;)

mix2much

The Budda Phats are great speakers. So versatile and work well with many different amps. I prefer them in an enclosed cab but they also sound really good in an open back combo.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks and great info. I play in a similar situation. What JCM800? I've ditched my 2205 for another amp, too...but probably not the 2204.
I had the 4210 - the 1x12 combo version of the 2205.
Had it for about 17 years. It was the amp I'd never get rid of.

jlinde

Can't speak for the 2-12" but in my sd18 1-12" I prefer the stock budda phat 12 over all else. And ive tried heritage g12h 30 75hz, v30, heritage greenback 20, jensen p12n, private jack and a bunch of others. The phat just sounds...well, as you guessed, fatter.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
After owning a gazillion amps including two or three SD-30s I can say without a doubt that the SD18 is my favorite. It is one of those amps that just always gives up the tone. Fat and nasty, clean and sweet, it's all in there. And it loves cheap tubes which is a bonus as well.

jlinde

And don't limit yourself to cheap tubes in the superdrive just because the builder said so. Try some good old long plates in there....you'll never look back. Lately I've been playing rca long black plates in v1 and PI for clarity and richness and Sylvania in v2....those gray long plate sylvanias are way underrated. The highest gain 12ax7 ever made. I've tested them as high as 130, as most new productions are around 105. And they are very consistent. TONS fatter than the Russian tubes! And good sets on ebay go for as little as $25-30....crazy cheap. The price of good vintage tubes has really dropped in recent times...grab them while you still can.

demea26

I picked it up two days ago and am really liking what I'm hearing so far (playing moderate volume in garage lol). Taking it to practice tonight!

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Budda's from the pre-peavey days are fantastic amps at a fantastic value. I was a huge Budda fan a few years ago. Owned two SD30s (212 combo and head) and a V20 combo. I turned my buddy onto Budda and he ended up buying a 18, 30, 45 and 80. he now just has my old SD30 because his was Peavey and we did a side by side comparison and his 80. Sold my V20 last year. If I come across a SD80 for a good price I'll probably buy it.

Last edited:

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
The SD80 is a really cool amp, I finally got to try one out last month. It reminds me a LOT of my 30 but with the obvious differences the added power bring i.e. more headroom, more low end and brighter too since it's not el84's. Can't say I like it better but I would happily own one.

Trending Topics