Budda SD18 acting up.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Jan 25, 2008.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've been having some problems with my recently aquired SD18. I've been getting noise, loss of volume/gain, and just sounding dull. Sometimes its great, and other times not. I bought it off Ebay a couple weeks back, and it's been doing it since. I'm not even sure what its really supposed to sound like. :mad: I emailed Jeff Bober and he said it sounded like a dirty FX loop so cleaned all Jacks with contact cleaner, and its still the same. I started to switch out some Preamp tubes, and I noticed when I took of the tube cylinders the sound would drasticly change. Now it didn't do this everytime I took off/ put on a cylinder, but after taking them off and replacing them about a dozen times, the issue seems to be pretty random amongst the tubes. It didn't happen with the same tube every time. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Probably needs a re-tube.

3. anibas

anibas Member

As a long time owner of a series I SD30 head,I can attest to the fact that these amps run hot and are hard on preamp,power,and rectifier tubes.I would change all of them,and use Sovtek/EH style tubes,which is what these amps were designed around.The one exception I would make is to use either an NOS,GT,or Mesa branded rectifier tube, any of which will hold up better in this amp than a stock Sovtek replacement.Good luck with your Budda!

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Never expect the tubes in a used amp to be any good. Expect them to be on the edge of garbage. If you get better than that, great. It's always the first thing to check.

5. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've got some tubes enroute for Dougstubes (Power. rectifier). I've got to give Jeff Bober at BUDDA a big thumbs up for customer support. VERY fast responses via email. He still thinks its an FX loop problem.

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Jeff's a personal friend. He's one of those all-too-rare persons you meet in life who go way out of their way to please. He's migrated that life philosophy to customer service at Budda. Those guys rock.

Peace,

jb

7. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Scot & Jeff are on their game. They are always reliable and rocket fast with responses. Their customer service is second to nobody.

8. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Thats weird. I haven't had any problems at all with my SD 18 II 1x12. I am loving this amp.

Which tubes are you going with?

Has anyone tried NOS preamp tubes with the SD18? I'm wondering if they will make that big of a difference.

9. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I was reading threw some old posts, and alot of people recommended sticking with the sovteks, so thats what I ordered.

10. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I might try and find some time this weekend and take a peek under the hood. I was thinking that maybe there is a cold solder joint somewhere and that the pressure from the tube cylinder/ springs could be causing the connection to go bad/good?

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

does any one of you guys( and pardon me for hijacking) have a Budda Box that can lend me???

I need to ship my amp.
    I would send the box back to you, you can also rent it to me.

Please i need this favor before tuesday,

Thanks

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Possible, if you know what you are doing (draining caps and all), you could remelt the joints.

13. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I just got another email from Jeff and he said he's never heard of a component fail in one his amps other than tubes.

14. seeker

seeker Member

I'm not understanding the FX loop issue (? ) So if you plug straight in ( no loop being used ) do you still have the same issues ? I believe preamp tube V3 is the FX loop tube, so replace V3 if you're using the loop, it's probably just the tube. I leave the preamp tube covers off so I can swap easily, and I remove the back panel as well, just store it away. ( not gigging, of course )
    Anyway, good luck ! As others have indicated, Jeff and the Budda guys are great , top level customer service.

15. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

I am in the same boat as you are. Maybe we got the same amp from the same dealer in NY. I just got an SD II 30 last week. I am not getting enough gain from the dirty channel. I am exchanging e-mail with Brandon from Budda and hopefully I will get to talk to him today to see what I need to do to fix it. I might even visit him, I am close enough if he needs to look at the amp. And also I haven't demo'd the SD II 30 before so I am only guessing on what its suppose to sound but I have demo'd the SD II 18 and I expected this amp to sound the same but with more clean headroom. So far I am getting quick e-mail replies from Brandon, definitely good service:AOK. I am confident we will find a fix for mine. Good luck on yours.

16. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Where are you?

17. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

You guys are scaring me a little...This coupled with the screws loose on shipping issue...

I've got an SD30 II on the way, brand new from GC.

18. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I checked my screws too, and they were a little loose, not too bad though.

19. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Brandon from Budda says they don't have any problem if they ship them correctly. But even if they don't and you have issues there are people behind the product that will make it right for you.

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

PM sent