Budda Sd18 Users...please Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by koa, Jan 31, 2008.

1. koa

koa Member

I may have a chance to pick up a 1X12 version of these in a trade and may main concern is the clean channel. What do you guys think of it? I'm currently playing through a Bad Cat Cub 15R and there are no words to describe the clean on it. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

I'll try to describe the clean on my SD 18, or maybe what it's not. It is not anything like my DRRI. The Budda is more "big" and "round" and always seems just on the verge of breaking up. Can dial up a really full jazz tone with the neck pick up very quickly and easily. Reverb seems un-needed. More of a challenge to get the real spanky/sparkly tone. Also, have not been able to get a raspy, fizzy or harsh sound out of it yet.

Clean channel also takes pedals like a champ. Treble boosters kill; Java Boost or Liquid Sunshine. Don't run a lot of o/d's as it's easy to get into overdrive and then just roll back the guitar volume.

Be aware -- this amp is L O U D !! And, needs to have the master up to really get the tone.

My stuff as point of reference; humbuckers and play "classic rock" (Stones, Black Crowes, etc.) and contemporary P&W.

I love this amp!

Hey KOA -- just went to your website and it helped provide some more context. Here's what I do when we're playing Redman, Crowder, etc.: clean channel just breaking up, Java Boost (adds that "voxy" compressed sparkle), add dotted eight delay = oh so very nice!

3. koa

koa Member

Thanks Mullenski,
    I appreciate the input. What delay are you using?

4. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Echo Park does the trick. Also have a Verbzilla (has 1 delay setting) on my board if a second delay is needed or just to get some reverb swirl going but starts to get real mushy at that point.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

To me the SD 18 doesn't have the clean channel that the Bad Cats have but it does come close. The Dirty channel is great on the SD. It can be classic or modern, crunchy or fluid. It is really a great amp.

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I think Mullenski pretty much nailed the clean tone: It is not a sparkly clean tone. It is round and always sounds right on the edge of dirt.

Jimmydeez nailed the gain channel: modern or old school, crunchy or smooth, but always beautiful.

The SD18 has found a spot in my favorite three amps of all time....maybe even the top spot. I absolutely love it.

The best thing I can say about the SD18 echoes what Mullenski said: reverb has become unneeded. This amp has me doing something I haven't done in a LONG time: playing with no pedals or effects of any kind. Guitar>cord>amp>perfect.

Can't give an amp higher praise than that.

A

7. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

+1... I cant agree more. The gain channel on the Superdrive is just great. I stopped using pedals all together as well. I put the gain at around 1 o'clock and I have enough for a nice sustaining but not too smooth lead tone. I like to think of it as a cross between a hotrodded marshall and a dumblesq tone.

I will be using my new Bad Cat Lil'15 to cover clean and crunch rhythm tones which the Budda can also do but I love the flexibiliy of having a two amp rig.

BTW once I started playing in a band I forgot all about reverb. It always dissapears in the live mix. The only time I ever missed it was when we were in the studio and I had 1000 different solutions to that problem.