Budda SD18 vs. Dr. Z Maz18 Jr. for Hendrix/Plankton Plexi tones???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDavisNJ, Jul 11, 2006.

1. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a low wattage head for Hendrix cleans/dirty tones as well as Plankton tones. I know the 18 watters don't have the massive low end thump of a real superlead, but I'd like to come close for home use and the occasional 4x12 jam with friends. I'll use some pedals like a fuzz, vibe, overdrive. Overall, which seems like the better amp for my needs?? I would also like to add that I would like a decent amount of overdrive so when I push the amp with a Maxon, I can get decent metal tones. I'm talking slow, groove metal like Clutch, etc. thanks guys.

-Joe

2. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Yikes, no one?? I'm thinking of the Maz 38 watter as well...I figure more headroom is a good thing.

-Joe

3. MACS93EG

MACS93EG Member

I have had both amps and I currently have the Budda SD18
    1X12 combo which I purchased about 2 months ago! It has
    way more gain on tap than the MAZ-18! The Maz has more
    of a Fender clean than the Budda SD18 but the Budda has a
    very organic rich clean that really makes Strats sound great!
    The overdrive is excellent on the Budda as you have a dedicated
    drive channel that shares Bass,Midrange and Treble controls with
    the rhythm/clean channel. The master Volume is as good as I have
    heard on any master volume amp! It doesn't choke down the tone
    at lower bedroom volumes like most master volume amps do!

The Budda amps are not cheap(Very Competitive with other
    boutique amps) but they are extremely flexible and the build
    quality is outstanding! I have a Gibson ES-335 that sounds
    might good through the BUDDA SD18!

The MAZ-18 Jr. is a fine amp but you will need to bump it
    with pedals to get any satisfying overdrive from it! It takes
    pedals well! The build quality is excellent on all the Z-amps!

Regards,

Mac :dude

4. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Hey, thanks for the reply!! It would be nice to have gain on tap, but I really have no problem using pedals. I'm just getting into the world of vintage tones, but I really enjoyed my Fulltone OCD with my old Rockytop. I absolutely love Plankton's tone on their new album. I know they use vintage Marshalls, but I'd like to get as close as possible. I'm even considering the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia for it's simplicity. I'm a metal player at heart, but want to get my first strat soon and just jam on the blues. This might be a good platform for this, as I've heard the Carmen is very unforgiving and has some sweet overdriven tones when pushed.

-Joe

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I had a Budda SD18 combo, thick chewy brown overdrive, lots o gain. I thought the cleans were sort of one dimensional. My friend has the Maz Jr, not nearly as much gain, but a better clean tone to my ears, more chimey.

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I have an early series SD30 and have also owned a Carmen Ghia in the past.While both are great amps I believe there are other choices in the mini-superlead ballpark these days.Have you tried a Mojave Coyote for example?

Ted

7. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I owned a Maz 18 NR head which had nice tone but definitely wasn't into delivering hendrix tones without help. But I couldn't find a fuzz pedal that worked right with it - at least for Hendrix stuff. I currently have a Budda SD30II head which certainly gets me in the ballpark. The cleans aren't as good - they are more vox than fender - however they are very adequate. and sound better at higher volumes (this may be the difference btwn the 18 and 30 too). The drive channel is where its at though. Keep the gain control below noon and crank that sucker up for thick marshall-type tone that is smoother and thicker than any Marshall I've ever used (although I haven't tried an original plexi yet). I would definitely go for the Budda over the Maz but that is just based on my experience. The Maz while built great fell a little flat for me.

8. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

HUGE Plankton fan here. Of those two, my pick would be the Budda. But if you're open to other suggestions, I would strongly recommend a used Marshall 2061x.

9. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I have considered Mojave, but they are simply out of my price range right now. I'll have to check the used market too I guess. Question, would the Superdrive 30 give me a considerable amount of greater headroom than the 18?? If so I might go for that, but then again I'm really just jamming home right now, and occasionally with friends. thanks!

-Joe

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I don't know... I guess it all depends upon how particular you are and what your ears determine to be a "good" Hendrix/Plankton tone??

To my ears, that Hendrix/Plankton tone has has a woody, singing, howl-like quality that really defines what makes it sound so cool. :AOK It's very elusive IMO. (I've been chasing that tone for years and still haven't nailed it to my own satisfaction). I also hear that Plankton tone on the first Cream album "Fresh Cream".

I've never played a Budda amp so I can't comment on it... but I've owned both the Maz Sr. as well as the Maz Jr. and if those Hendrix/Plankton tones exist in those amps I was never able to find them.

ratter.... you posted a great Plankton clip awhile back that featured the guitarist playing a strat > a Fetto overdrive > old Marshall that just totally defines the tone I'm refering to. If you could post it again that would be great! That tone haunts me!

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I haven't used the 18 watter but my 30 keeps up with 50 watt Marshalls easily. So I think if you're at home mostly than the 18 is the way to go. The Budda does have a great master volume so tone is good even at really low volumes.

12. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Yep, the clip:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpackage/fetto.mp3

That is Christian (I believe) from Plankton, strat -> Fetto OD pedal -> Superbass.

Just for the record, I've owned the SD18, and SD80 (one of my all-time favorite amps), Germino Club 40, 2061x, and 1959HW that would all be in the ballpark of that kind of tone. Owned a Rt.66 too. Unfortunately for us home players, I think a big part of the equation is HUGE volume and some cone cry and speaker distortion to add to that 'howl'. Master-volume amps played at sane volumes simply won't have it, although they often have great tone in their own right, just not THAT tone.

I've corresponded a bit with Emil from Plankton and he told me that oftentimes, the sounds on their records are the amps cranked (plexi suplerleads, superbasses, and JTM's), with no pedals. But when pedals are involved, Emil often uses a Guyatone OD or Boss SD-1, and Christian the Fetto. Photos on their website show both of them having the SD-1 in their live rigs for OD tones.

13. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Yeah, the 18 seems like a good choice I suppose. And ratter, that clip is the tone I want as well. I'm not gonna obsess over it all day ya know?? I need to play more lol, so I guess the Budda would be a good choice. Thanks guys.

-Joe

14. MuleHead

MuleHead Member

:BluesBros I just bought a Budda SD-18. Unfortunately, it was damaged slightly and is getting repaired. FedEx are idiots, but that's another thread... I also have a MAZ-18 which is a great amp, but too clean on it's own. It works well with a good pedal (Austone Millennium Overdrive!) but I'm hoping to get that great grind with just an amp. The Budda's are very loud at 18 watts. I'm pretty sure the MAZ will be on the market shortly.......

15. jbro

jbro Member

The Carmen Ghia is definately the Z to get for this type of thing. The Maz Jr is really more of a clean and versitile amp, while the Ghia is just a pure, organic monster - it may be the best strat amp I've ever played.. amazingly dynamic, raw, but it's pretty loud. I don't know what your target volume is, but this will hang, unmic'd, in a medium club with a brutal drummer (with the right cab). Definately not a bedroom amp if you want to get it cooking, but sounds great at bedroom levels too.

I have a Mazerati (something akin to a 35 watt Ghia) that I use when I need the extra headroom, the Ghia is just as loud but overdrives much earlier. These are killer amps.

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I think this depends on the speaker and/or putting it with a 4x12 cab.

17. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

I just meant generally really. So the Ghia would be a good choice eh?? Like I said, I'm not after nailing tones to a T, but would like a ballpark tone. I'd like a great clean tone, (even if I have to roll back my guitar volume to get it), and some good overdrive. I have no problems pushing an amp with the OCD, I loved that pedal. I wonder how it would work out with the Ghia???

-Joe