Budda SD30 II: Anyone try SS rectifier replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Just curious? Just curious if anyone has tried the solid state rectifier replacement.

I'm going to purchase some back up EL84's, probably from GT, but possibly will try the TAD's.

Thanks!

2. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Sounds like you are keeping the amp. I am curious on what the SS rectifier and TAD tubes will sound also. Although I have read from previous post that people prefer the current GT tubes over other brands.

On another note, my SD II 30 is not well yet. Are you around mine area by any chance. I need to A/B my amp with somebody else to see how far off my amp is. If anybody else is in my area with SD II 30, I would like to hear from them. Thanks.

3. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Went back and read your post. Wish I was closer so you could A/B, but it's a good thing you're close to SF. I'm sure they'll get you there.

I played the amp in GC and 9am was loud for me...I bet you could do 10 oclock and get a good sweet spot with a hard hitting drummer...

Also, I spent almost 3 hours with both amps side by side at GC. Same guitar, I just would plug'n'play back and forth. The "Dirty 30" seemed slightly more aggressive, but not louder. The 18 is LOUD...Both are LOUD!! I did not think one was louder than the other, just noticed the 18 seemed to have a more "refined" sound while the 30 had slightly more headroom and seemed a bit brighter and aggressive.

THis was comparing a 18 1x12 and a 30 2x12, so not sure how much that affected it. The 18 did seem to have more thump, but I guessed it was b/c you're only pushing on speaker instead of two and also at a lower wattage.

I'll give you a report on my 30 after tomorrow.

4. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

Be careful, I wrote Budda and asked about it and they recommended against it, said the internal voltages would be too high. If you get a SS rectifier with the proper voltage drop you should be okay, I can't remember off the top of my head how much of a voltage drop a 5U4 tube has...

5. Free

Free Member

If the amp is running a 5U4, a GZ34 would up voltage very close to solid state rectification voltages and be a bit safer. In general you gain about 50 volts or more going up to a GZ34 from a 5U4.