Budda SD30 II v. Valvetech Hayseed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, May 12, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm on the verge of ordering an SD30 112 (maybe a head, but probably the 112, and I'll run an extension 112 or 212 when needed). Right sound I'm looking for, nice strong cleans with enough headroom for my purposes, small/medium/large clubs etc, with a bit of chime, and powerful lead tones etc etc. But I've been reading here and elsewhere about the Hayseed and wondering if anyone here could compare the two. Thoughts/preferences? The Hayseed has some nice options, 1/2 power, reverb (budda has no verb, no biggie), and the price is right.

Anybody here familiar with both/have a preference? Thanks!!

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Depending on what kind of tone you want, you may be better off with the ef-86 option on the Hayseed, which precludes reverb. Never played a Budda so can't help there.

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I had an SD30 and have played a Hayseed. The latter is more pure Vox, while the Budda is thicker/fatter/smoother in overdrive.
    Greg

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm a bluesy jazz, jazzy blues, occasional rock player. I love the vox chime and thought about a Tophat Club royal for a minute, gorgeous chime, but wanted more headroom. I do like the way the Budda has great strong tone without losing the sound of the guitar. Good to know they're different sounding amps, that helps. Btw I think I'm kind of hoping I can get some Mick Taylor and Derek Trucks tones out of the Budda. I know his sound is those modded Supers he's got (or had, I heard they were stolen, how bad does THAT suck?), but I'm hoping I can get them from the Budda too.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

If you want Mick Taylor/Derek Truck sounds, go w/ the Budda..The hayseed won't have enough gain either...If you want even a fatter tone, go with EL34's instead of EL84's

6. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks guys. it's looking more and more like I'll be spending some time with a Budda SD30 II. I'm figuring the 112, since I can always add a 112 or even 212 later. Anyone have any reservations about the SD 30 112 vs. the head?

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

My one remaining concern with the SD30 II is that the two channels share eq and one master volume. Anyone have any trouble getting the tones they want in the two channels and being able to switch between the two without having to rework the relationship between the master and the channel volumes, drive, etc? thanks!

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes, I found it difficult to get the clean side with the dirt I wanted on the other channel (and visa versa)...BTW, mine was a PTP version.
    Greg

9. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Go for the head. I converted my SD30 from a head/2x12 to a Budda 1x12 combo cab. After several months in the 1x12 combo I ended up switching back to the head/2x12 setup. The 1x12 sounded too boxy and midrangy for me. The flexability of a head can't be beat.

10. ethomas1013

Email Jeff Bober at Budda. Jeff can give you the details for a simple mod that will allow you to get more volume from the lead channel to give you better balance with the clean channel. It's a simple mod changing one resistor that any tech can do in about five minutes. The trade off is that it increases the noise floor slightly on the gain channel, but it's still very quite in comparison to a lot of other amps. I find that with this mod I can get a little "hair" on the clean channel and it is not too loud when switching to the gain channel. Mine's the PTP version so I don't know if this applies to the SD30 II.

Do a search on this forum for the Superdrive 30. There was a thread last year where someone explained how the two channels are designed and at what point on the volume controls they were designed to balance out at.

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks guys, I'll do that search and have a look. And I'll check w/Budda (they seem really helpful there when I've spoken to them) and see if that mod is available on the SD II, or maybe there's some other solution to the level/channel problem...
    Love that Budda tone, I'd like to make it work.

Just in case a head does make more sense, what speakers are you guys using with the Budda? I know they have their own speakers made up (the guy at Budda siad it's somewhere between a lead 80 and a greenback? maybe? i could be misquoting here). But I'd love to know what speakers you're using and what kind of results you've had. thanks again!

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

You might want to give a look and listen to the Budda SD-45 as well - not as dark sounding overall, but a very mean sounding drive channel: fat and corpulent. The SD-30 uses EL84s; the SD-45 is a KT-66 beast. Somehow one my expect the opposite - EL84s to be brighter; not to my ears.... Okay, maybe I'm kinda partial to mine...

For what it's worth I had Jeff do the channel volume balance mod to mine. I am very pleased with that amp now.

peace,

jb

13. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I played a Sd45 head and liked it a lot. What cab and speakers do you use with it?

14. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

A pair of 2x12 cabs - a Budda with a pair of Budda Fat12's and an Avatar G212H with Celestion V30 & G12H30. I'm probably gonna get an empty Budda 2x12 and put the speakers in the Avatar in it. Those blend of speakers work really well. I like having the Budda cab on the floor and the Avatar stacked on top of it. The Budda Phat12s on the floor for whatever reason seems to impart an awesome bottom end, and the Avatar cab on top of it adds wonderful highs. It's a great mix. That said, the head also mates really well with a Bogner 4x12

peace,

jb

15. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks troubleman, that's good news since that's what the standard avatar cab comes loaded with, it'd be easy to pick one of those up.

anyone else with any budda/speaker combinations that work well (or not)?

16. ethomas1013

I have a Budda 2x12 with Budda speakers and a Divided by 13 2x12D with Celestion Heritage Reissue Greenbacks. Sounds great with both!

17. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I'm running my Budda SD30 with a Bogner oversized 2x12 and it sounds great. Vintage 30's. Lots of nice warm mids and not too harsh.