Budda: SD30 II vs. SD45 II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Jan 10, 2008.

SD30 II vs. SD45 II

1. SD30 II

2. SD45 II

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I'm going to pursue the Budda with a 45-day trial period.

I love the option to use a SS or tube rectifier and like that the SD45 has also has more wallop, but hear the volume may be a bit much.

Most we will play in front of without micing is up to 300 people in a 3000 sf building with good acoustics.

I gig around 2-3 times a month starting next month, but this is not really a bedroom amp in that I have a smaller amp for home use.

I hear the SD30 is enough, but that it lacks a little oomph. I wonder if an EQ in the loop would add a little oomph to it.

Styles range from Crowes/Kravitz/GNR to STP/AIC/PJ to NIN/Tool/WHite Zombie.

Thoughts from users with experience?

2. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I have had both and currently have the SD45. SD45 will have that oomph your looking for. I think the SD30 will be too smooth for you. SD30=modern and creamy. SD45=classic crunch. More bass on SD45 also.

4. cml145

cml145 Member

I have the SDII 30...and love it. great tone

5. kingsxman

So did you buy one?

6. mach5

mach5 Member

What about the volume issue, do you find the 45 too loud in comparison?

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I am on the fence. I had an 18 and loved the basic tone, but lacked the lows I need.
    I have had my heart set on a 45, but am selling my Two Rock so maybe the 30 for that creamy? How is the clean on the 45?

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have the Superdrive II 30w 2x12, and it is probably the loudest 30w I've ever heard (for whatever that's worth). Can't comment on the clean on the 45, but I find it on the 30 to be somewhat vox-ish. The clean 'channel' also takes pedals well, with a few exceptions of course. Mine didn't like the HBE Big D as it did seem to add a bit of a mid-hump. Lovepedals, Tim, Barbers etc it has no objections to. On the other hand I often find myself playing the 30 with no pedals as it is so easy to dial in good sounds on both 'channels'.

My only "concern" is that I play mostly at home, and it's like having a nice car which you can only drive back and forth in the garage...

Sorry if I talked only about the 30, only tested the 45 once, so I'm not in a position to comment.

9. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Got the 30 yesteday...Packaged well and ready to go...I'm with you, I only gig out once in a while currently, and I live in an apartment, but I find that I like it more than my DSL.

Thanks!

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats! Superdrives are awesome amps!

11. kingsxman

Basically...they both are loud. I mean..I can only turn up so loud at a gig...and they both will hit that point. The 45 has less "wiggle room" though on the master. I think you have a hard time turning up the 45 to where you can really get it cooking.

12. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

The 30 is damn loud (I can't imagine the 45). Try cranking your SD30 half way and see how quickly the cops come knocking on your door. In most gigging situations, I've rarely had to crank mine up past half way. It starts sounding good and meaty around 9 o'clock so most places I'm good to go. Although the MV is good enough for it to sound decent even at whisper volumes. I'd guess the SD30 edges out the 45 and 18 in versatility because it is big enough for decent cleans but no crazy loud like the 45. Also the SD30 seems to slay most 50 watt Marshalls (at least the 800 - current amps) I've tried or compared it to.

13. kingsxman

i think the cleans are great. NOt fender...but probably like a Marshall JTM45 clean.

14. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

But the aggreement would be...45 is bigger toned, especially in the lows?

15. kingsxman

Absolutely. Much better lows.
    You can always get a attenuator to tame the volume some. but you cant get something to give you that great low end.