Budda SD45 VS Bogner XTC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bikerdude2, May 3, 2008.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Can anyone compare the dirty on these? I've searched and found a ton of SD18 clips, but nothing on the 45. Thanks!

2. Burst59

Burst59 Member

3. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Thanks! Sounds nice!

4. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I have a XTC 101B and SD30 but not a 45 :confused:

5. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

would love your thoughts on the differences..

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Both great amps. If Price is the consideration get the Budda SD.

Otherwise, the Bogner is a DREAM TONE kinda amp. That thunderous, yet controllable sound. The Bogner midrange is to die for.

If you want an amp that gives you a take on the sweet sizzle and grit of the Brown Sound, get the Budda. For all else, for blistering lead to blues the XTC is gorgeous. The thing with the XTC is its never too smooth, never too grindy or grainy - you really can get it to work for you as you choose.

The Budda is a very specific and gritty kinda tone that sounds great, but is not as universal as the XTC. The 45 does have some classic bluesy mids and cranked breakup in there, with the added benefit of the gain knob, but that's where the Bogner excels in features. The Bogner XTC has the PLEXI MODE which is AMAZING. I have a 73 Marshall and I can say the XTC hangs with the open tones of ANY vintage Marshall.

Of course, if you wanna talk open-ness, the 45 might have a VERRRRRRRRRRRY SLIGHT edge (miniscule, that's how small) as the 101B is a touch compressed. XTC Classic is ohhhhh soooo open and my dream amp!

7. BrentSP

Well comparing both with the same cab they have a lot of similarities. I have the 212 combo with the Budda Phat speakers which is a different story. With the same greenback loaded Bogner 412 the Budda is a little darker, fatter and bubblier. But to be honest I can set the 101B to be just as dark, fat and loose like the Budda. The difference is in the mids, those Bogner low mids is where its at and gives it that woody pulp knock that most people love. The Budda has more of mid mids (600 to 800 hz) with a big loose low end like an old Marshall. The top end of the Budda is very clear and chimey but still has a dark overtone in the high mids.

I don't know its hard describe. The Bogner has this certain texture about it that is more like fine sand and the Budda is like smooth glass or maybe whole milk....lol I give up....ha,ha

8. Ricker

Ricker Member

It's strange how everyone has different impressions of the same amp.
    I find Buddas very tight amps.....I have the sd18 and 80 and had the 30 aswell.
    They seem very percussive on the low-end with a quick tight response.
    I have never played the XTC but the shiva seems very loose and woofy compared to the buddas.
    Just my experience with them.

I agree with the mids...........Buddas have more mid mids and upper mids
    Bogner more lower mids 200 / 300hz....although you can dial in the upper mids with the presence control for cut.....
    but it's still quite different to the budda voicing and feel.

Cheers
    Rick

9. BrentSP

Well compared to a Shiva the Budda is tigher but not compared to the XTC. The 101B has very high filtering with a SS recto, the budda has low filtering AND a tube rectifier = loose bottom end but very musical. But for the most part its not as loose as some other amps I've played, just compared to the XTC it is.

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Man everytime I hear this clip I want one of those amps.. It sounds thicker and my Marshall 50 watter