Budda SDII 30 or VHT Pittbull 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Skip62, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Which one is more versatile?
    Which one has fatter cleans?
    Which can get closer to Robben Ford on the drive side?
    I play mostly blues, and some 60's rock. I don't like drive with a lot of extra stuff, for lack of a better term.

Thanks, any help would be most appreciated.
    Skip

2. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I like the Budda hands down but maybe not the SDII. For what you play you may want to look at a different model something maybe voiced a little more clean with less gain than the sd2. Budda s are quite nice though. Me personally never played a VHT that I loved...seemed to lack quality in build to me but thats my opinion.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

please elaborate as to how exactly you came to this "opinion". i have a wreck ("86 express) and 2 vhts(pittbull 50 and deliverance 60) and a mark cameron built bogner uberschall. i've owned and recorded with pretty much everything out there (4 trainwrecks, 7 vhts, 11 bogners including 3 that were built to my specs by reinhold, 3 elmwoods, 7 boogies, including one that was custom built to my specs, 3 bf twins, 6 marshalls, a white twin, a selmer zodiac, "64 ac 30 non tb, 2 egnaters(a tol 100 and and mod 100, blah blah, cluck cluck, woof woof). the vhts get the most tracking time of the bunch. the only problem i ever had with a vht was an unsoldered screen resistor that stevie walked me through a quick fix on in less than 5 minutes. vhts are bulletproof and have the lowest noise floor of any high gain amp i've ever heard.

you are perfectly at liberty to like or dislike anything and everything but casting aspersions like vht lacking in build quality only holds water if you can back your "opinion" up with irrefutable evidence based on personal experience.

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

In my limited experience, the VHT PittBull 45 had a heck of a lot more clean headroom than my 30-watt Budda.

However, if you want Robben Ford tones, I doubt you'll get them from either of these amps. Picking up a used Mosferatu or ZenDrive would be a good step in the right direction, though. Alf designed both of these pedals to emulate RF's tone and his pedals are in such demand he stopped taking orders just so he could catch up on his backlog. The fact that Robben actually uses a ZenDrive says it all...

5. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

Unfortunately I havent tried a VHT yet, but I do own a Series I SD30. I run this through a Budda 1210 cab, which has two 12" and two 10" in a "X" pattern with a half open back .

The Superdrive 30 can get somewhat close to Robben Ford type tones. The "clean" channel gets kinda dirty like a pushed ac-30 while the drive channel can be dialed from a smooth breakup to marshally madness. The SD30 also has a fair amount of 6l6/6v6 fender type tonallity on tap when used with open or partially open back cabs. Each channel has a fair amount of sag due to the tube rectifier and the high gain stuff is very compressed.

Older budda designs like the twinmaster will probably get you closer to dumble and therefore Robben territory. These early handwired buddas are a great deal used on ebay etc.

ps: Unlike the VHT's, my superdrive has a fairly high noise floor.

hope this helps.
    -homebrewer

6. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

The Budda to look at in that vein would be the Stringmaster moreso than the SD.

7. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

ratter is right, the stringmaster is more robben ford/dumble-ish than both the twinmaster and superdrive 30.
    -homebrewer

8. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Thanks for the reply's. Here's part of the deal. I've only ever played 1 Budda about 2 months ago for about 2 minutes at the Ft. Worth Guitar show. I was blown away in that 2 minutes. Now I'm sure what model it was. It had the guitar jacks on the left side, 2x10 combo, 18watt. Inputs were Clean and Gain(I think it was gain), anyway it wasn't hi - low. I've heard Budda's at guitar shows being played and always walked by because it was a kid playing metal type stuff with over the top gain, not my thing. So I've been reading, because wouldn't you know it I can find a Budda of any kind in the Dallas area to play, and the SDII 30 seemed like the right choice, but apparently not...lol Can you guys identify this model for me? Or something similar?

I've been able to spend 20 minutes a couple of times with the Pittbull. While the intial tone of the Pittbull didn't knock me out as much as the Budda, it was very sweet, warm, thicker than most, and had just a tone of tones. I'm not an amp tweaker, haven't really figured that out much. I play either a BF Champ or JTM45RI. You don't have to do much with the knobs on those. :lol I've tried to play everything I have time to get my hands on, but it hasn't been a big selection. The Arlington Guitar Show(billed as the largest in the world) is in 3 weeks, so I'll be checking out everything I can. I'm so confused it's giving me a headache.

Thanks,
    Skip

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I had a Pittbull 45 1x12 combo for about 6 months and ended up selling it for about 60% of what I paid for it. It had a midrange thing that I couldn't get rid of and hard treble. Also I couldn't swap speakers because the transformer was right where other speakers magnet would hit. I loved it at first but once my ears got adjusted I couldn't get more than an average sound. Sorry to say so guys. I tried to like it, I really did, mostly because it was SO good looking. I much prefer Dr Zs for the clean to low gain things I do.

10. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Well Billy that helps me, cuz I don't like Dr Z's...lol No offense to you, we all have different tastes, but knowing what some else likes and dislikes helps me a lot. Thanks, Skip

11. mike@switchback

Sounds like a Twinmaster. Did it just have three knobs, Bass, Treble, and Volume?

12. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

skip-
    ratter and I arent dissing the superdrive 30 at all, we were just saying that the stringmaster fits your description a little better. i love my superdrive, but the stringmaster is more modded fender/ dumble territory while the superdrive 30 is like a marshall and vox mixed.

The 18 watt budda you describe was likely a 2x10 twinmaster. This is a handwired budda that was discontinued until recently. The latest twinmasters are suede covered custom shop units that are limited production and super expensive. Used twinmasters are plentiful and cheap on ebay.

Perhaps a different vht model would be a better fit than the pitbull. The new deliverence 60 is certainly a no frills monster worthy of trying.
    -homebrewer

13. mike@switchback

Exactly. I've owned the Twinmaster, Stringmaster, Superdrive 18, and Superdrive 80 and loved them all. I've loved the Pitbulls I've heard too, but of all those amps, only the Stringmaster would come to mind as a choice for RF type tones. Not that the others can't do great lead tones, they're just not the usual suspects when that particular subject comes up. I'm also not a big Z fan. In a fit of boredom I actually traded my Stringmaster for a Rt.66. Bad idea. The Rt.66 lasted for about a week...

14. Skip62

Skip62 Member

I didn't think you guys were dissing the SD30, your just trying to steer me in the right direction, and I truly appreciate it.

I can't remember the knobs, but I thought it had a gain, I'll ask my buddy tomorrow who was with me and equally blown away.

I realize the Pittbull 45 wouldn't normally be on my list because of all the knobs, but all I did was turn everything to middle and turn the gain up or down, or switch the Class A or Class A/B switch. It was simple cuz it sounded good no matter what I did, which is not the norm for me...:)

I'm looking to sound just like Robben, but the gain he uses doesn't have all the extra noises, I don't know how to describe it. I just want gain, but NO screechy harsh sounds. I'm a huge Gary Moore fan, but his tone has the extra stuff, and Robben's doesn't. Hope that helps. I am open to other suggestions, but from searching forums and sound clips, and actual experience this where I'm at. I might flip for a used Two Rock, cuz I've heard clips of those I like a lot.

Actually, if I could get between Robben and Joe Bonamassa, I think I'd have it. Robben's tone is thicker to me than Joe's.

Thanks guys for the help.
    Skip

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well Gary Moore does have that top end stuff........ultra hi-fi fluff so to speak.
    It's great for alot of things but as you say if you're looking for RF tones then it must go.
    Budda amps are very smooth in this department and therefore are a good choice when not wanting that hi-fi top-end.................although they do a wonderful Gary Moore singing sustain gain.

Joe B I know uses .... 2 marshall Jubillees and 2 Budda sd80s on stage for his stereo rig.
    His album 'had to cry today' has Budda sd80 all over it......I think he used it on nearly every song.
    He describes what gear he used for each song on the Cover insert.

I've got and SD80 and sd18.............mmmmmmmm

Rick

16. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Yea Ricker, hi-end over the top, good choice of words.
    I just listened to an podcast with Joe, and his last cd he says he mostly used the SD80 mono. Does your 18 sound like the 80 only quieter, or is a different sound altogether?

thanks

17. Ricker

Ricker Member

The 18 and 80 are similar but different.
    The 18 is more chimey and has a softer pick attack than the 80.
    The 80 has alot more lowend and is alot tighter.....alot more big clean head room........great percussinve pick attack.

I sometimes think the 18 has more gain on tap.
    The 80 sounds alot more open and the 18 can sound congested compared to the 80.......But thru my bogner 2x12 the 18 sounds pretty cool and I still have trouble opening her up at a gig cause even the 18 watt head is mighty loud.

Yeah so they sound like the same family...it's just the 18 sounds like the son and the 80 sounds like Dad.

I have a use for them both.

cheers
    rick

18. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Great, thanks for the info.

19. mike@switchback

That's very spot-on to what my experiences were as well. If you end up with an 18 and find it a little too congested on the top end, you can swap out one cap to open things up a bit.

20. Skip62

Skip62 Member

Is there enough clean headroom to deal with a drummer with 18?
    Thanks