Budda SD's: Tonal Differences Between the Models...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by timmers, Mar 1, 2008.

1. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

Hey folks, question(s) for any experienced Budda users out there:

I played an SD-45 1x12 today at a local shop, thought it sounded great. Tone-wise, I especially enjoyed the 'middle ground' sounds available (dirtier than clean, cleaner than distorted...). That being said, I'm really wondering what the differences are between this SD45 and the SD30 or 18, knowing that the SD45 runs KT66's & the 30 & 18 run EL84's.

Anyone out there been able to A/B/C these models, & if so, what are your thoughts? Again, I'm looking to stay in the middle with these amps, gain-wise, and am looking for tones that will be warm, dynamic, smooth-ish, and serve as the dirty complement to the Fender clean sounds already in my gigging rig. Strats, Teles, SGs are the paintbrushes.

If anyone recommends a particular format, too (head/cab vs. 1x12 combo vs. 2x12 combo), please chime in.

Thanks folks - I appreciate all the advice!

Cheers,
    T

2. mach5

mach5 Member

I was seriously looking at the SD45 too. I heard they have more bottom end compared to the 18 & 30 because of the bigger tubes. I've yet to hear them in person though.

Did you find the 45 sounded good at low levels? Was sharing the same tone stack between the 2 channels a pain? How was the noise factor? I'm only asking these questions because I've only heard these on You-tube.

3. timmers

I thought it sounded just fine at low levels. I wasn't able to really crank it up at all, even with the 1x12 combo setup it appeared to be pretty stout as far as volume. Tone-wise, it sounded great. I assume it only opens up more the more the power section is pushed.

Sharing the tone stack - I didn't gig with the thing, but demo-ing it in the store didn't seem to be much of an issue. Minor tweaks necessary between the two, not sure how noticeable/necessary that would be in a live situation. Pretty quiet, as well. With a Strat there was the usual mid/high gain hum, but nothing above the ordinary. At lower gain it was quiet as can be.

The only issue I could discern was that the 'lead' channel was far more compressed than the clean channel - led to a substantial volume difference where at my favorite gain settings on both, the clean channel seemed to actually be louder than the dirty channel. Only an issue if you're going to be switching live, though.

T

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

If you set the rythym level, and the drive level, and then adjust the master to what you want there is no problem with a drop off of volume. This is a common misconception.

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

No, Buddas are notorius for that level difference actually. Truly depends how you set them up to your ear, as they are versatile. When I ran my 18, I ha dno problems, but I had the gain backed way off, with it up I would need the mod.
    If you get one and it is an issue, just contact Budda (which is great at getting back ASAP on email or call) they have a very simple mod (resitor or something like that) that fixes that volume difference issue easily.
    I have not played a 45, but that is the one I want. I miss my old 18.
    One thing, 84's in the 18 and 30 are going to be way more creamy in breakup compared to the KT's.

6. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I played a 30 2x12 combo and an 18 1x12 combo today. I was suprised that I liked the 18 better. It sounded smoother and fatter on the hi gain channel. Might have been that the power tubes were working a little more on the 18, as I had them at about the same volume. I noticed the volume jump on the 18, but not on the 30. I have read that the 45 is a little less smooth on the OD.

I'm thinking of going back into Dallas tomorrow and trying that 18 again. I mighyt already own it if I hadn't already pushed the very limmited paitience of my 2 boys. It was pretty busy and I had to get them out of there.

7. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I have a SD45 head and a SD18 combo. I gig with the SD45 and a 2x12 currently but have used the 18 in the past with a 1x12 extension cab. The 45 is a little brighter and has more low end (especially noticable as you get louder - I dont notice it so much at bedroom levels). They are both amazing amps and are both VERY loud. The 18 is a very gigable amp - less headroom if you want super clean cleans, but if you dont mind a bit of dirt in your cleans you are good to go.

The SD18 combo is super light and is just a great grab and go amp (loud enough to keep up with loud drummers etc) I have used the 18 at rehersal with a super loud drummer and a 2nd guitarist with a 50watt mesa 2x12 turned up really loud and had no problem cutting through.

But the 45 head is an amazing amp for me. I prefer heads over combos as it allows me to choose which cab I want to use 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12.

The volume adjustment only becomes an issue for me when I turn the gain up on the clean channel to get some ac/dc type grind. Then the clean channel is louder than the distortion channel. However, I usually go for a pretty clean, clean sound and dont really have any volume issues switching channels on either amp.

All in all I think they are amazing amps, great for the giging musician or the bedroom player, light weight (both combo or head), great chimey cleans and just top notch Marshall style distortion.

8. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

While not a gig levels, I did get a chance to play a SD 18 combo, a SD 30 combo, and a SD 45 head yesterday. The 18 and the 30 seemed a little smoother and chimier, while the 45 sounded more focused and bright. All were very, very nice- I'd be happy with either of the three, but in all likelyhood I'm gonna order a SD 30 head. It had more "oomph" than the 18, but was still fat and sparkley without being as "hard" sounding as the 45.

9. ducmike

I went back and played the Budda 18 again today. The store was a lot quieter and slower today (and I didn't have my kids), so I got a better tone demo. I really like this amp. I was able to get the channels close in volume this time. I had the clean at about 1/2 way and the master around 10-11:00 and the sales guy asked me turn down. This thing is loud for 18 watts. It has a ton of gain. And stays pretty articulate too.

I came close to getting it. But the one in stock had a few issues. A couple of scuffs, but more concerning were the loose chassis screws. They offered a discount for the floor model, but I was really concerned as to why the screws were loose. I kind of have had my heart set on a Two Rock or Fuchs, but for the price, the Budda might fill my high gain craving.

10. aroman

aroman Member

What store in Dallas ?

11. ducmike

GC on Central.

12. timmers

Is GC a Budda dealer?? Geez - I didn't even think to look there (or even look into GC...). Might make this whole search easier if they've got one of each on the floor to check out. Duh.

T

13. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I think Ratter gave a great description on the diff Buddas.

14. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

The loose chassis screws seem to be VERY common.

15. ducmike

They are on the GC website. The store on Central is the only Dallas store with them though.

16. ducmike

For Budda's, or at GC in general? If you mean at GC, that is why it scares me. But it did sound great and seemed to function just fine

17. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Buddas in General. I saw it on a few different threads, so I checked mine, and sure enough they were loose. Not chassis falling out loose, but loose none the less.

18. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I'm going to negate the notion of the loose screws being a VERY common thing (not to start anything S.A.M, as his experience along with 1-3 others, not exactly sure, did have a loose screw experience).

I ordered my SD30 II head from GC and it arrived perfectly packaged, screws torqued and in perfect playing condition.

There was a thread a while back from someone (I seriously don't know who, but you could search it) who got their Budda from a dealer online who I believe said it was brand new or maybe that it was a floor model. If I recall, it actually was a floor model and it was sold on ebay. The seller may have shipped it in that condition.

Then, a few others (1-3) chimed in that they also received thiers with screws not torqued.

I checked with Brandon at Budda before mine came as did another forumite and he specificlaly told both of us that screws should ALWAYS be torqued.

If their quality control slipped, so be it, but if it's a floor model or used in any way, that's another issue, but I wouldn't want the "word to get out" that Budda heads or combos are supposed to come with loose screws.

Just adding my 2 cents.

19. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Ya, I should probably rephrase, and say "loose screws are not completely UNcommon".

20. freaksho

freaksho Member

i got an SD45 head from M/F a few months ago. all screws were loose: chassis, back cover, even the handle. like someone said, not loose enough to fall out but just not torqued tight. i really don't think it's anything to be concerned about.