Budda Super Drive 18 or Bogner Metropolis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blaster, Apr 17, 2008.

1. blaster

blaster Member

This is my first post to TGP

I was looking at both of these amps and wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these.

I currently have a BlackFace Deluxe Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb and need a different sound. I have both single coil and humbucker guitars. Most of the time I play in the home and occasionally jam with some friends.

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I can't speak for those amps but since you have the fewnder tones covered, how about some Marshally goodness with an 18 watter or an 18 watt clone? They are awesome for home and jamming and give you total cranked marshall tone with out the need for earplugs, the police knocking on your door or deafness later in life!!

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Haven't heard the Bogner, but I'll put a plug in for the SD18. GREAT amp, from bedroom to stage.

A

4. CAC

CAC Member

I had a Budda for about 6 months. It is a great amp that can go from clean to mean. The only reason I no longer have it is I also have an 18 watt Reinhardt. The Reinhardt has a more organic and just fuller Marshally type tone to it for 70's rock and hard rock type stuff that I am currently doing, and since I have another amp for Fender tones the Budda became expendable. However, I still think the Budda is a great amp, and if I could only have one amp to cover all of my needs it would be one of my top choices.

5. CAC

CAC Member

Aaron Cheney is a monster player by the way. If he says it's a good amp I would trust the guy!

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I can tell you a budda 18 watter can get loud enough for you to stuff cotton in your ear and to bring police to the front door :)

I gig with one regularly and I'm still amazed after about a year of use how loud this sucker can get.......lots of clean headroom for 18 watts as well.

Keeps up with higher wattage rated amps easily......yet still nice and light.

One of my favorite amps of all time........

7. blaster

blaster Member

Is the Budda or Bogner too loud for home?

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

The Budda has a great master volume on it......sounds wonderful at low volumes.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Your check is in the mail. :)

A

11. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Very well said. The Budda is a great amp.

12. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Your going to get a lot of Budda 18 love here, and for good reason. They are fantastic amps. I have never played the Metropolis, but really like the other Bogners I have played or owned.

13. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Budda. Awesome all on its own. Put a treble boost (like a Java Boost) in front and even more, different awesome.

14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Ok, this is awfully one sided. I've never played a Budda so I can't compare but I have a Metropolis and it's a freaking great amp. You can play it at home but it is a loud sucker and with the schizo switch you can reall dial in alot of different tones.

I've had sound guys flip out at how good it sounds and I totally know better than to claim it's all in the fingers.

15. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Budda all the way...

16. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I just had to reply to this. I've owned the 18, 30 and 80 and the master is as useless as they come. They all go from barely audible to blow your head off. Yours must have been modified or it's your first master volume amp.

They sound incredible, but amps with great master volumes are Aikens, Bogner (shiva), VHT, Elmwood, Fuchs, Louis Electric, Rockerverb and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

17. boltino

boltino Member

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. The master on my SD18 is one of the best I've used. Whisper to roar, it's all there. IMHO of course.

18. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

For me it was definitely better than the 80, but the tone at lower volumes wasn't the same as when you turned it up. With the others I mentioned the tone had that same singing quality at low volume minus the thump. Must have had a bad one I guess?

19. snoggin

snoggin Member

Shameless plug but I used my budda sd-18 at mny first studio day and it sounded great I think. mostly drive channel except for the sunday papers song. only at about 9:30 on the volume int the isolation booth. check it out its pretty representative of the sound

http://www.myspace.com/thescarletpimpernels

20. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

You won't find Bogner getting a whole lotta love here. Some, yes, mainly from Shiva fans -- and for good reason.

The Shiva is a monster of a fine amp -- the combo being a heavy thing that can give you some awesome cranked Marshal tones at low volume.

Mighty versatile at all volumes.

Same with the Metropolis. You can get that with two or four 84s and a choice of reverb options.

Both these amps cook and sizzle.

Were it not for the PCBs in them, it might be another story all-together. But purists are purists.