Budda Superdrive 18 bad aquisition syndrome

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by XmasTree, Mar 2, 2012.

1. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Ive been using a V22 for a while and it's really,really awesome.
    ..got good tubes in it and an M75 and a handful of really great sounding pedals

i also use an HT40 which is good in it's own right. It really is cool (by itself)
    but i like to play both at the same time (stereo - A/B/Y) and its seems like the Blackstar is diminishing the overall tone coming from the V22
    What i'm saying is the V22 and the HT40 are two great tastes that don't taste great together (and i like the V22 tone a lot more)
    I really dig the EL84 thing

So i've been thinking the Budda SD18 will pair with the V22 a LOT better.
    ...plus i would be getting the head which is lighter (i can barely pick up the HT40 due to an injured leg)

If I got the SD18 and it does what i think it does and sounds like I think it sounds, I would be totally SET!
    ..but i'm afraid I might just have gas and this would just be "another purchase"
    What do you guys think?

2. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

don't know about the 18, but I have a 30 that I got about 12 years ago. Even though I'm a Marshall guy- The old red Marshall and Budda are the 2 I'll never part with. Besides you only live once, buy a used one, and if you don't like it- flip it.

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i know you guys have Buddas!
    post!

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Not sure who makes the V22, I'm assuming the HT40 is a Blackstar? Seems like their naming convention.

That said - I've got a SD30 head that I've had for 10 years. AMAZING amp. It's really got it's own signature voice. Vox/Plexi on the Rhythm side, and the best Plexi on steriods tone on the Drive side. Highly recommended amps. I've never played an 18 but - it's the same circuit.

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

The bad rap....if you can call it that, on the Budda 18 is the lack of Clean Headroom. But the dirt side of those amps are very, very cool!

6. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

What they've said. I've had my Budda for 4 years now and still find new sounds. It's incredible how flexible a 6 knob amp can be. It's light, it's LOUD, it's versatile. If you find a Budda 18 under $800... buy it!!!

7. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i'm REALLY thinking of getting the SD18 head

i'm just so tired of combo amps too.. because they weigh so ******* much
    i like the Blackstar a lot but the Blackstar and Bugera played at the same time (ABY) doesn't sound so great.
    ...and it ain't the Bugera that's bringing it down.

So, i'm thinking the SD18 head and a 2x12 cab along side my V22.

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Just get it and smile! Your ears will thank you!

9. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

The SD 1x12 combo is noticeably lighter than many similar 1x12 combos I've tried.

10. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

There's a dent and scratch at AMS right now for 899

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BUD-SUPERDRIVE18H-LIST

If I had the bucks, I'd probably get it.

11. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Great amp.... and much better than than the Bugera in my opinion.. which I've tried... though they aren't meant to sound that similar...

the Budda is a world class amplifier..

12. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have a feeling i'll have a Superdrive 18 head in the mail in the near future.

13. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

14. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Man I had a Blackstar ht-100 which was a great amp but since I got my Budda Superdrive 30 series II I don't want to own anything else ever! IMHO they are some of the very best amps on the planet. The only thing is they are LOUD mofo's and the clean channel while awesome has a touch of hair on it and some guys don't like that. For me I like it much better than a sterile clean and in a band context it cuts like a knife that way as does the lead channel. Also these things are not forgiving in the least so if your chops aren't good you are not going to like playing thru these amps. Other than that they are a steal on the used market and imho about as good as it gets.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Im really glad you posted that!
    i JUST sold the Blackstar HT40 to a guy off of craigslist. i think he got a ******* good deal.
    the Blackstar really is a good amp but it didn't satisfy and it didn't play well with my V22 <- good stuff

I also JUST ORDERED the Superdrive 18 head from AMS
    i'm no heart-throb john mayer but i don't stink either. I prefer the sensitive amps because i really get in the zone that way!

16. shanesiegle

Good stuff I think you will love it. I really want to either get the sd18 or sd45 later this year to go with my sd30 for a second amp. With a tubescreamer other good boost you can literally cover everything from country to metal (not super tight modern stuff but still heavy) and it does it all really well. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

17. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

so the SD18 will be in the mail shortly
    i also ordered a 2x12 cab which should show up around the same day, both being UPS Ground

I'm surprised that the face of the head version is a bit wider than the combo.
    ?

18. shanesiegle

It is wierd because it's the same amp just different headshell. I haven't tried the Budda cabs yet but the SD30 sounds perfect with my genz benz g-flex cabs so I have no reason to stray.

19. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

what i meant was that the cabinet for the head version is wider.
    not the actual face plate or chassis.

AMS sent me a "shipped" email. (oh yeah, i got it 15% off)
    so I track it and it say's it's only 16lbs.
    ..so i called them hoping to get it straight and they said that it's the right amp and they never pick the wrong items from the warehouse
    it (whatever it is) will arrive thursday. i damn sure hope it's the budda head and not a wah or something.
    ...I also ordered a cool 2x12 (12% off), so XmasTree is on a spending spree after selling the Blackstar
    Can't wait to hook all this **** up and wail!

Question:
    do the Budda heads come with a speaker cable to connect to a cab?

20. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Are the new Superdrive Series II Budda's PCB or handwired? Cathode or fixed bias?