Budda Superdrive 18 - Clean channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oien, Sep 16, 2008.

1. oien

oien Member

I've heard a lot of great soundclips and fuss about the Superdrive 18's drive channel. How is the clean channel? Are there any sparkling Vox/Fender tones there, or is it sterile and 2-dimensional? I myself prefere the cleans that break up when you hit hard. (Think "Little wing" -SRV)

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

First of all, I find that there are more than two types of cleans (sparkling Vox/Fender tones and sterile). Although I don't find them to be Fender cleans, I wouldn't say they're sterile either. I'd say the cleans are warm with character and breakup is possible when pushed. If you're only going to be happy with fender cleans, this may not be your amp. But the drive channel is the best in the biz in my opinion.

3. oien

oien Member

Of course! I was just using it as an exemple.... There are many ways to describe an clean amp. I just want people to describe the clean SD 18 with their own words.[​IMG]

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Well, I gig with my SD18II 1x12 quite often and mostly use the clean channel ( probably 90% percent of the time )!

I play mostly R&B, standards, country, soul, motown, classic rock and dance classics through it ( so it's more versatile than people give it credit for IMHO ).

I find it to be warm and sparkly and very pleasing to the ear. I guess it's more in the vox camp but there's a hint of blackface in there as well, but in the end it has it's own vibe going one. I never, ever get ear fatigue with this amp, a problem I've had with others I've owned. I use it as a backdrop for pedals and it works wonderfully because the Budda's take pedals better than any amp I've owned.

Single coils in particular ( which I now use exclusively ) sound great with this amp. The quack positions on a strat seem accentuated and bell like and my tele has never sounded better.

It has plenty of clean headroom for my applications and because it's only 18 watts i can turn it up and get some power tube oomph. I also use a clean boost in the loop of the amp. Interestingly it seems to only add more clean head room to the amp and adds no significant distortion. I guess you can hit the power tubes pretty hard in these things.

I try amps all the time and think, well maybe this has a better clean sound.....then I gig or practice with my budda and say to myself...." no, I'll stick with this ".

And to me the KICK ASS od channel is icing on the cake.

5. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Not a bad clean channel, but when you switch off of the gain channel, you have a big tone shift...mostly loss of bass/highs in the clean channel. This is if you are using the modern pull for the gain.

However, an RC Booster can beef up the clean channel and even give it some Fendery tone, so really depends on how you set the amp up.

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well here goes.
    if you want a brilliant clean channel from this amp then you have to forego the drive channel because of the extreme settings.

Take a fender strat and plug into budda sd18.
    Using single coils Take sd18 master and turn it up full........then increase the rhythm channel volume and turn it slowly up until at your desired or gig volume.
    This won't really work for bedroom volumes but it absolutely kills when the sound is pumping.
    The rhythm channel becomes clean slightly edgy voxy and then when you dig in it compresses and overdrives...........really cool.
    Would be very similar to the twinmaster circuit as you are effectively removing the master............

This setting does not really bode well for the drive channel and not the greatest if using the loop.

Try it.......

Rick

7. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

hey andre, what kind of settings are you using on the eq?

8. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

So it is hard to balance a good clean setting with drive channel? Or is that only the case if you are trying to get a very brilliant and bright blackface tone?

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I disagree. Thats one thing I love about the Budda SD circuit. I get a nice clean tone, and when I kick in the gain channel.......it just becomes an extension of the tone i have. Just a gainier richer version with minimal tonal shift.......

That why I think the shared eq works so well on the buddas. IMHO and YMMV and all that of course :)

EDIT - I just saw you mentioned " when using the modern pull setting for the drive channel ".........I don't use that pull function - I like the sound better just set to normal.

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Well ,the rythmn channel does have a bright switch ( pull fuction on the volume knob )....but I never use it. The amp is bright enough without it IMHO.

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

If I remember right, Master at about 10 - 11 o' clock, bass full out, mids anywhere between 10 o' clock to 2 o' clock depending on the room and sound on any particular night ( the mid knob seems to affect the bass and treble so you can us to tailor the sound quite a bit ). Treble is usually around one to two o' clock.

Drive around 11 o' clock ( sometimes i run around 3 - 4 o' clock if I really want to ride a wild stallion of an amp ;) ) - rythmn volume around 9 to 10 o clock.

With these setting I get good clean headroom. Hair when I dig in a bit, and a good balance between the two channels, With the drive channel being just a bit louder than the clean channel.

Also FYI, as i mentioned in an earlier post - I find a good clean boost in the effects loop of these amps increases your clean headroom ! It doesn't add any significant distortion or additional grit. so you can hit the power tubes pretty hard in these amps I guess....

Now keep in mind I do use only teles and strats. A hot humbucker would give you a different sound then I''m getting probably ( thats why I dont like high output pickups - I like getting od from the amp and pedals, not the pickups. )

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yes that's right.........
    The clean and drive channels match very well the way I use them....but I also have the vol pot mod installed so I can tweak the level of the drive channel...........but it won't help with such an extreme setting.

I don't use this master full setting live but if I was just using the rhythm channel and a few pedals it would really be great and the closest to a voxy chimey clean with hair and all that stuff.

Try it and see the difference with master full and rhythm vol to taste........
    or rhythm full and master to taste........both sound and feel different.

Rick

13. puls

puls Member

I set it up kinda the way ricker said as I prefer a clean tone most of the time. Master up about 3/4, & the rhythm and drive volumes to taste. I've not found any tonal conflicts between the drive & rhythm channels. However, just about the only time I use the drive channel is when I need a volume boost (usually soloing).
    One thing I have found is that I set the tone controls VERY different depending on which guitar I'm using. The standard tele has modern knob pulled, while the tele custom (neck humbucker) gets the modern knob pushed in and I can't remember if the top boost is pulled out or not (I'm at work right now & need to look at the amp to be sure). Can't remember exactly how I tweaked the individual tone controls, but I do remember it took a few minutes to figure out where I liked them. So, if your changing guitars during the set, you'll have to remember what settings you like for each guitar.
    Having said that, I think the wide range of tonal possibilities is one of the Budda's biggest strengths.

hope this is helpful & not confusing

jwp

14. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

I am currently running a Vox AC30cc head and an avatar 2x12 and I am looking to replace that rig with something lighter and more portable. Seeing as I only use the AC30 in the 15 watt mode would it be safe to assume that the superdive would get me into a similar territory tone and volume wise - with advantage of having the extra channel of gain on tap as well?

I trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on this or wait on the Bogner Alchemist. The Bogner is going to be about 20 pounds heavier though. The Budda seems like a great grab and go at only 45 pounds. I am really trying to streamline my rig - load in/out is not so much fun and space on some these small stages around town is becoming an issue too. Next purchase I am looking at after the amp replacement will be an Incase dub case (1 case 2 guitars)

15. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I'm sorry, I've played this amp several times and I'm going to have to be the dissenter here - to me the cleans were sterile. I just found them to be flat and uninspiring, especially compared to the cleans in my modified Bogner Shiva which really has nice deep, warm, Fender twin like tones with a little natural compression that's great for sustain and funk, even at lower volumes. What killed me is the drive channel on all the Budda's I've played were incredible and what I was looking for, the deal breaker was always the clean channels to me and that's the main reason why I never bought one of their amps. But, to each his own I suppose.

16. Ricker

Ricker Member

I've always prefferred the cleans on my Buddas to the my Shiva........but my Shiva hasn't been modded.
    What mod did you have done???
    Was it the Voodoo one? and did it affect the Drive channel aswell.

Cheers
    Rick

17. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Yep, MV way up and bring the rhythm knob to taste for cleans. Pull bright on, usually. EQ for all the bass available, mid at 12:00, treble to match the room. For songs requiring gain, the MV comes down to 11 and the drive and rhythm come up to 9:00 or higher. I have dots of white paint marking my "clean" settings so I can switch easily. When set clean this amp is fantastic with pedals.

These amps are very sensitive to the newness of the power tubes for chime and shimmer. When it's "not the same" put new tubes in, get a brand new amp!

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

I can go along with this somewhat. I sold my old Fender earlier this year and still have my Rivera R-55. Both have cleans that were more lively and fun than the SD18. But as stated in my previous post, I think you can push it a little with a pedal and maybe a compressor.

I also think speaker and tube changes can help with some of this.

19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

so is biasing necessary for new power tubes?

any tips for setting the drive channel volume? i get the master right, pull the knob to set drive channel, get it good, and then it gets all messed up when i push the knob back in.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I run my SD-18 mostly on the clean channel...rhythum volume set to 1 o'clock, then set master to correct volume level....I use pedals for my overdrive tones..Jeter GSR<GSG<GSP...Eternity...the OD channel on the Budda is great, but sounds even better with pedals in the clean channel...One of the best sounding guitar amps ever made...Tone wise it's a Vox/Marshall cross with a bit of blackface thrown in, and the FX loop works great with reverb and delay pedals,,,NO Rack gear needed...