Budda Superdrive 18 clean headroom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lttoler, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I am thinking about getting one of these amps in the 1x12 combo, and maybe using it with a 1x12 extension cab sometimes. I played both this and the 30 before and liked the sound of the 18 better but am a little worried about clean headroom. Is there any way to get more headroom out of this amp? Also are there any other mods that I can do?

2. puls

puls Member

I admit I've never had to push mine to anywhere near it's limits, but I've never had a problem with clean headroom. Always sounds great. The SD18 combo is already incredilby loud, and w/ an extra 12" speaker thrown in it'll only get louder still.
    Hope that helps.

jwp

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I had a 30 and had NO problems with clean headroom. Its not that much louder. I'd go with the 30. Except I'll bet you can get a used 18 watter alot cheaper.

4. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

But isnt the 30 and the 18 watts different tonally?

5. kingsxman

Nope. Same amp. Just different power section. Both EL84 amps.

6. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

hum... the guys at Budda told me that the 18 has a darker tone than the 30.

7. jhumber

jhumber Member

+1

I swear my SD18 combo is louder than my Rivera R55.
    You need not worry about clean headroom - I've played some big rooms with mine and it's never needed more power/headroom. A great amp.

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

This is wrong IMHO, I own both ( both 1x12 combos ), I use the 18 watter for 99% of gigs because I like the sound better.....

It sounds fuller and seems to push more low end then the sd30.

also - to the original poster. I think you'[ll find the Sd18 has plenty of clean headroom....

I use the clean channel for about 75 to 80 % of what i do... and it has never let me down...

I play with horns , keys and loud drums regularly....alway plenty of clean power.....

sounds more like 50 watts to me :)...

PS - i use a clean boost in the effects loop of the amp....it will give you a louder CLEAN sound when you need it....dont put the clean boost in front of the amp, put it at the end of whatever you have in the effects LOOP....

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My 18 watter has plenty of clean headroom...I've also been running just the clean channel with the rhythum volume up to 2 o'clock, and backing off the guitar volume for cleans....sounds amazing this way as well

10. kingsxman

Then I would believe them. They would know. I've always been under the impression that they are the exact same amp but with one having more power. I've "played" the 18 and owned the 30. I thought the 30 was pretty dark also....hence why I know play a Sd45.

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Yep...tubes, speakers and even different cables really help the SD18 brighten up. There are some work-arounds for some of this.

I have both of these as well, along with a Plexi clone. The R55 cleans are better than my others for some obvious reasons. Using an RC Booster on the SD18 clean channel to push up the lows and highs helps give it a little more Fendery twang.
    :BEER

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

what kinds of settings are yous guys using on this amp?

i just got mine a few days ago and, after coming from a mark VI, am still in tweaky mctweak mode and having trouble on settling into a sound. everything sounds really good!

13. mitch236

mitch236 Member

The mods you may want to consider would be NOS tubes (which may give more clean headroom) and a better more efficient speaker (I'm not a fan of the Phat speakers).

14. rollyfoster

also, i've got a rattling tube. i'm not sure if it's a preamp or power tube, though. i have 2 preamp tube tamers i can put on it, but if it is a power tube, is there something available to calm it down?

and how do you set the channel volumes?

i set the master to 9:00 (per the manual) and then adjust the clean channel.

i pul the drive channel out to set the volume on that, but when i push the knob back in, it messes everything up and then i have to adjust the clean and master around whatever the drive decides to land on. my footswitch does nothing when the knob's out.

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm a newer Superdrive II 30 owner. To balance the channels, I usually end up with something similar to this:

Master Volume: 10:00-11:00
    Drive Volume: 2:30-3:00 (very high gain)
    Clean Volume: 9:30-ish

This gives a pretty good balance where the drive is a little louder than the clean. I actually like the sound of the clean channel with a little more hair on it, like around 10:30 or 11:00, but that throws the balance off. I'm still working with it though.

Oh, and to use the footswitch, the knob needs to be pushed in. With the knob pushed in, your footswitch will control the channel selection.

16. rollyfoster

danang, that must be loud!

mine's set at about 9:00 on master and channel volume and it's loud and not too clean. i guess i'm going to have to adjust the EQ some, which is:

9:00 bass
    max mids
    2:00 treble

17. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yeah, that's really loud. If I'm just screwing around at home with the kids around, the master is way down.

I have struggled with the mids on this amp. Mids are where the guitar lives in a mix and I usually crank them up on most amps. Sometimes I even turn the treble right off and just use the bass and mids, but with the Budda you don't want to do that. Sometimes I crank them up and pull the knob and other times I push in the knob and turn them down. I also run the bass higher. It makes a difference at higher volumes. The amp is sometimes described as dark, but I think the middle control has more to do with that than the bass on this one. Still experimenting though.

One other thing I've noticed. I typically play Les Pauls, but I like Strats with this amp a lot.

18. mitch236

mitch236 Member

My (SD 45) settings tend to go:
    Master 2-3 o'clock
    bass max
    mid 2-3
    treble 2-3
    drive 2-3
    clean 10

Nothing pulled. Running through a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. Tubes are all NOS.

LOUD AND PROUD!!!

19. rollyfoster

i'm beginning to think i've got too much mids happening now....

20. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

THis is an old Post but I was curious about LP's and the headroom on the 18W version? Can you still get decent cleans in a band situation with an LP or is the 30W nescessary?