Budda Superdrive 30 PTP or new PCB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by relaxandreflect, Feb 6, 2008.

1. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

I have been looking for the PTP hand wired Superdrive 30 head, but haven't seen any lately. Would there be much difference between that and the newer PCB models? Jeff at Budda said they sound the same, and the new ones have the pull/modern function on the mids. He also said this function could be added to the older ones. Any thoughts? Should I keep holding out?

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've got an original Superdrive 30 series I head (hand wired). Amazing amp. I've personally never A/Bd it with a Series II head - but, all reports say they sound the same. I just can't confirm. I have spent some time with a Superdrive 80 head, and I can tell you it sounded nothing short of fantastic as well. The series I stuff is a little rarer because they didn't make as many of them. Maybe 100-200 or so. They also seem to bring just a little more money as well, it that's a concern.

FWIW - there was a Superdrive 30 series I head here for sale on TGP. Good price, IMO.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=348235&highlight=budda+superdrive

Hope that helps.

3. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

Thanks for the head's up. I saw that the other day, but coulnd't find the link again.

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

How much does and Used SD80 in perfect condition goes?

Any idea?

5. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I have had them both and I think the newer SDII is a little more "modern" sounding. The SDI PTP was a serious tone-monster though and the cleans were incredible, very open and big sounding. They both sound great and are very similar. If I was looking for another Budda I would not have a problem with either one.

6. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I sold one 3 months ago in the box in new condition for $999 shipped. I have seen them anywhere from 925 to 1100. Thats why it makes me laugh when I see a 30 watt for sale for 1200 or more.

7. relaxandreflect

relaxandreflect Member

I may be wrong, but from what I see the 18 and 30 are in higher demand since the 80 has a solid state rectifier. Anyone that can confirm this?

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I can't confirm that. I honestly don't think one is in more demand than the other. It really just depends on your personal needs. They each sound different.

9. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

I have the series 1 SD30 2-12 combo. PTP #133. I Love it, I'll never sell this thing, it's just a tone monster. I have NOT compared it to a later series 2 version, but if Jeff says they sound the same I'd believe him. It wouldn't benefit him to B.S. you.

I don't have the mid pull option, but you can still cut the mids really hard with the stock set up.

Either series is just fantastic.

Fantastic cleans and overdrive.

plexi :dude

10. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I have found NO sonic differences in the PTP version vs the PCB version. They both sound excellent. All Buddas are the most underrated amps out there IMO.

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Umm, i love the SD80.
    I am moving again and had it stored but i don;t think i will come back so i need to find a proper solution to my little inconvenience.