Budda Superdrive and Twinmaster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, Aug 30, 2008.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Other than the obvious differences, what are the differences circuit wise? For example is the rhythm channel of the SD pretty close to the Twinmaster? The obvious differences would be the tone stack and master volume on the SD of course. Did they start off with the Twinmaster circuit, add a 3 band tone stack, MV and drive channel?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Wattage, Tube selection, Tone stack, ETC. The twinmaster is closer to the stringmaster. THe Superdrive strays form the NON MV builds of Budda.

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I don't know anything about the technical side, but the rhythm channel of the SDs definitely shows lots of similarity to the older Buddas tonewise, IMO. EQ controls aside, I bet if you added a master volume to a Twinmaster it would sound a lot like the SD rhythm channel.

4. BrentSP

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I've played a twinmaster and it sounds like the SD rhythm channel which is basically a rearranged two stage super lead with a old school JTM45 tone stack.

5. BrentSP

BTW changed out the Budda Phat speakers in my combo for G12H30s and WOW huge difference in the right direction. Warmer and fuller with a big bottom end.

6. mike@switchback

Rearranged how so?

I had a Twinmaster before the SD's came out. Loved it, but needed a MV, so I sold it and moved on. Later on the SD's came out and when I tried the SD80, it seemed like a natural extension of the Twinmaster into a bigger, higher gain amp.

7. BrentSP

1st gain stage is a little different.

8. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Just my opinions from some trials I did a few years back with my LP and its 490R/498T humbuckers. The details get fuzzier as time goes by, but here's what I remember. I own a Twinmaster, owned a Dual Stage 30, 1210 cab, and a Phatman, and test-drove a Superdrive 30 shortly after they came out.

The Twinmaster has two inputs with no channel switching. The 1st <Normal> uses half of V1, while the 2nd <Hi-Gain> uses both halves. V2 is the phase inverter. IIRC, the Superdrive Normal channel uses both halves of V1, and the Drive channel uses both halves of both V1 and V2 (V3 is the phase inverter).

Even though the TM Hi-Gain and SD Normal both use two stages of V1's 12AX7WB (Bober's V1 of choice), they are not in the same ballpark gain-wise. The TM will get much rawer, old-school rock & blues tones. The SD cannot really get that kind of raunch - to me it was smoother, even when breaking up.

The Twinmaster / Stringmaster / Dual Stage 30 only have Treble and Bass, while the SDs have TMB, so that circuitry likely contributes to the differences, too. Though, all the Buddas seem to eminate from the same tonal camp.

From my experiences, if you run a two-tubed Budda Phatman or Zenman (with V1 being a 12AX7WB, with both halves of each tube contributing to the gain - like the SD series) into a TM or DS30, you can sound like a Superdrive 30. But I do not think the SD30 really can get you into the TM / SM / DS30 realm.

9. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Prolly a little brighter as well?

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I actually can't stand the Phat speakers.

My TwinMaster sounded infintly better through G12Ms and G12H30.

Oh and the SuperDrive clean channel with the master dimed is pretty close to the TwinMaster.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

My thoughs exactly - based on the Twinmaster I played a few years back, and I own a SD30 series I head. Both are stellar amps!

12. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Your former Twinmaster :dude

Once it arrives, I'll do some comparisons with my SD30. I had a TM 2x10 a few years ago and from what I remember the TM was more wild and raw. But with the master dimed on the SD30, I'll bet they are pretty similar.

13. Dave B

Which Twinmaster setting(s) are you referring to?

Personally, I love the sound and feel of going through the TM's Hi Gain input with the volume at 3 o'clock or higher. But, that's just too loud for home needs. Using the Hotplate to lower the volume significantly squishes the sound too much. The time I tried an SD30's Drive channel a while back, I recall it was a good bit smoother than that raw cranked TM sound.

So for any of you owners of both, does either SD18 channel cop this TM sound and feel at much more friendly household volumes? If so, I may to to swap for one. :drool

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I was speaking of the TM in general and not any particular settings. But with that said, I do like the variations of tones you can get by simply choosing the input sensitivity of the TM. Either way, the TM is a loud amp and hard to use for home unless you use an attenuator.

15. mike@switchback

Not IMO. To get the SD to cop the TM, you'd be running the master volume very high, so still very loud. A better swap would probably be to swap the Hotplate for an Ultimate Attenuator.

16. BrentSP

No it was quite a bit warmer actually.

17. Dave B

Danke schon! That's what I was afraid of, feel and volume-wise.

Now, having seen all of the Ultimate Attenuator threads here over the last couple of years, can you tell me (in a nutshell) how this will behave differently than the Hotplate? I would be going through the Hi Gain input with the volume at about 3 o'clock, and kick in a germanium fuzz or treble booster at times.

18. mike@switchback

If you're looking to get true bedroom volumes (in the -16 range on the hotplate), the UA sounds better. In the -4, -8 and maybe -12 range, the HP sounds better. That's my impression after owning both (but only having had the UA for a short while.)

19. mike@switchback

ps - this is a clip I made a few years ago of the rhythm channel of the SD (SD80 I think) cranked up. It's very twinmasterish, IMO. Starts with the guitar volume rolled off, then rolled up about halfway through:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpackage/sgswamp.mp3

20. Dave B

Yeah, I think the -4 and -8 do the TM justice, but -16 and below is not really good for preserving the feel at the lower volumes. I don't think we have any local dealers for the UA, but I'll check around, and check UA's website.

Sounds good, but unfortunately I doubt if an SD80 is in the cards (not that I wouldn't turn one down if it fell in my lap!) It seems lots of guys here put their higher powered heads up against the smaller combos when it comes to lower household playing volumes. I'm going to have to try that next time I am on an amp-tasting mission to see what I'm missing.