Budda Superdrive Mods

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JZG, Aug 27, 2006.

1. JZG

JZG Member

I've found a couple of snipets on here about some different mods for Budda's Superdrive amps. I'm wondering if anyone can go into detail on the following:

- Balancing the volume between channels and the back panel volume control

- Taming the volume of any of the Superdrive amps (I have a 30, but am considering a 45 or 80)

I've emailed Jeff about these, but haven't received a reply as of yet. Any help is appreciated!

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have the mod from Jeff. Shoot me your email address and I will send it to you. -Frank

3. JZG

JZG Member

I got them from Jeff. Which mod did you do and how is it working out?

4. frankencat

It was a while ago and I don't jhave the amp any more but it was the volume leveling mod. Just one resistor if I remember correctly. I tweaked it to my own taste once I knew what it was. Worked like a charm. Great amp!

5. jnbroadbent

jnbroadbent Member

What other mods are there? (sorry for bumping a dead thread but this interests me as I have a SDII80 that will be here next week)

6. JZG

JZG Member

The mod to balance the volume level between channels involves changing a couple of resistor values. There's a couple of different option with that. With the 30 watt, Jeff said to pull the middle two power tubes, switch to a 5Y3 rectifier, and run at an impedance mismatch, i.e. 4 ohms at the amp into an 8 ohm cab. It didn't really tame the volume of the amp, but it gave a sweeter overdrive at lower volumes. I don't know if you can pull power tubes from the 80 or not for lower headroom. I would email Jeff @ Budda for the details. He's always been great to deal with.

7. Denny

Denny Member

I've got the channel balance mod in my SD II. email me and I'll send you a diagram - It made the amp 100% better. Jeff Bober Approved.

Denny

8. jnbroadbent

jnbroadbent Member

E-mail sent.

9. jnbroadbent

jnbroadbent Member

Is it just jeff@budda.com?

10. jay66

jay66 Member

11. kbphx

kbphx Member

I wish I had known of that mod back when I test-drove a version 1 SD30. Loved all the tones, but couldn't get the right balance between channels, so I sent it back. I kick myself whenever I think about that, 'cuz I only paid like $900 for it. It was a 'scratch & dent' from MF that was neither scratched nor dented. I then sat back and watched the price on them skyrocket. :(

12. JZG

JZG Member

If you're interested...
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=205230

13. drpicklo

drpicklo Supporting Member

If you guys want to "brighten" the SD 30, you can swap the 222k cap on V2 for a .001. I swapped them today, and will test it out tonight when I get home. Jeff said it would bring about the presence a bit...

14. evansilver

evansilver Member

drpicklo....what did it sound like. was it to bright? are you using a combo or head and cab?

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

bump for the "brighten" mod

16. corthullinger

corthullinger Member

Who can do this mod? I am in Niles,Mi..I have a SD30 head..Thanks,Cort

17. drpicklo

drpicklo Supporting Member

Sorry - I've been out of the loop playing with my band.

I's the 222k cap on V2 that can be swapped for a 180k. Brightens up the amp a bit...

18. frankencat

I am thinking about doing a couple of mods to my SD18 like adding a bright switch to the gain channel and a low-high gain switch as well. Anybody else have mods for the Budda?

Yes I know, necro-post! :)

19. jlinde

jlinde Member

A bright switch to darken the lead channel right? My sd18 lead channel was unbelievably bright whereas the rhythm channel is dark. Didn't mix well at all...so I Paralleled a .002 cap over the existing 222k cathode bypass cap on v2. That darkened the lead channel nicely to balance with rhythm channel. Obviosly, to brighten the lead channel, you would have to lower the value of the 222k cap to choke out the lower frequencies. Maybe a .001 would do the trick. The cap is labeled C12 on the board and it's a little ceramic disk cap right by the v2 tube socket. I'm sure you could put a bright switch there toggling between the two caps. Good luck.

20. frankencat

Is yours a Peavey made one? Mine has not markings on the PCB. It's pretty simple though and I am pretty sure I can figure it out. right now I am rolling tubes to see where it gets me. I have been gigging with this amp for so long with Sovteks in it and it has sounded good. I just wanted to mess with it a little. :)

I currently have Mullard RI 12ax7's in V1 and V2 and JJ ECC803S in V3 with JJ EL84's and it sounds pretty nice.