Budda Superdrives: Is one series better or worse than the others?

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Are some of these (by series or year) better or worse than the others? If so, which and why?

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Series I is PTP handwired.

Series II is very high quality PCB and has a PULL MODERN switch that sucks some of the mids out.

Both are very well made and sound fantastic.

almesy

Gold Supporting Member
I have a late 2008 "pre-Peavey" SD 30II and a 2009 "post-Peavey" SD 18II (both 1x12" combos) and both seem to be of equal quality in terms of construction, tone, etc. Great amps.

Some may have a preference for a particular year or vintage, but myself, I can't tell any difference with them side by side.

There may be more difference between the current Super Drive II series and the discontinued Series I - I haven't compared those.

StompBoxBlues

Series I is PTP handwired.

Series II is very high quality PCB and has a PULL MODERN switch that sucks some of the mids out.

Both are very well made and sound fantastic.
Sounds like you know both series and I sure don't, but I use the pull modern quite a bit, and LOVE the II series, but can't imagine I would like it as much if it didn't have that pull modern.

Though the amp is so good...even without out it it would still be my favorite amp, I'm just really glad it has it.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
They are both killer and not radically different tonally. I have had the I&II SD 18s side by side and, to me, the Pull Modern engaged on the II sounds very similar to the I with the mids sucked out and the treble pushed up a bit. It may be more pronounced on the SD80; I haven't compared them.

As for the PTP vs PCB tone/construction, it's a non-issue for me. I actually have SD18 00021 that I received literally right off the initial production run, and it's been perfect for almost 10 years.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I also owned both a series I and series II SD18 at the same time (the SD18 is my favorite amp ever), and when the bills came calling I let the series I PTP version go because the versatility of the "pull modern" on the gain channel gives to the shared EQ. There really wasn't much of a difference that couldn't be accounted for by tubes and speaker changes, and the II totally held up to gigging just as well. Both of mine were pre-peavey so... :dunno

Trending Topics