• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Budda Verbmaster Old vs New

lgehrig4

Anyone know if the original Verbmasters sound like the new Verbmasters? I'm using the Guitar World demo by "Paul" on YouTube as my reference.

I've read that Verbmasters sounded like Twinmasters just slightly less aggressive and with verb. I'm not hearing that much similarity between the video and my Twinmaster. I actually like the overdriven tones in that video more.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I have not played a new one, but I did own an old one (that I sold to a friend) and have owned an old Twinmaster 10 (2x10 configuration). It's been a few years since I played either so this is from memory.

The VM is essentially a TM with reverb. And yes, I would say that it is slightly less aggressive. I thought they sounded quite similar with the reverb turned off, but had a slight preference for the VM. That particular VM cranked up with a Les Paul sounds fantastic. He won't sell it back to me :(

I don't know if I would put much stock in videos. How was it mic'd? Did he use a guitar with similar pickups and output to yours? Maybe the tubes in that one are fresher/different than the tubes in your TM? Does he play with a heavier hand and more attack than you, etc... I never put much stock in clips and certainly would not sell and amp i liked in hopes that one I heard in clips would work better for me. Just my 2c...

lgehrig4

Thanks for replying. I realize all those possibilities contribute to the end result but clips can be helpful. I've use them with much success in picking amps over the years. Problem here is that this is the only clip. My TM will not sound like that clip though regardless of the variables. The sound is too loose and way too saturated. Almost bloated in comparison. And yes I've tried different guitars, tubes and speakers. I'm a compulsive tweaker.

LesPaulPlayer

Just adding to this old thread by saying my 1996 Twinmaster is similar to my 2000 Verbmaster when playing through the same speaker. I'd say the TM is more immediate and brighter. The VM is a bit less forward, a bit more mellow at lower to mid volume settings but somehow more nasty when cranked way up in the same way Hendrix's fuzz face makes his tone nastier.

The new Verbmaster in that Guitar World video is similar to my old Verbmaster when I use a JJ ECC83s in the first preamp slot. I suspect that's what that new Verbmaster had in it. It's a bit tighter and more mid focused that way. The original shipped with a Sovtek 12AX7WB in that spot and it's a darker, looser tone.

Trending Topics