Budda vs Cornford vs Soldano vs Reinhardt etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by worlez, Jul 11, 2005.

1. worlez

worlez Member

So I'm not getting on with the Flexi - its gonna have to go.

Basically, I'm sick of amps, and I'm sick of complex amps even more. I want a very simple, very basic control section, that gives me a sound that is midway between Angus Young and Eddie Van Halen straight off the bat. It's got to have a thick, crunchy, 'orange coloured' drive with plenty of clarity and articulation.

I've tried Cornfords, and while they are stunning amps, I always found them too dark chocolate brown for me. The Flexi is opposite in that it has the right sort of 'colour' but is too dry with harsh upper mids, and I cant dial em out. How do the Budda's compare? People claim they are great Marshalls, but do they still retain the CRANKED hot Marshall colour? I'm talking about the Superdrive 18's and 30's.

I'd also be keen to hear anyone elses suggestions. Ironically, the clips I've heard of a Mojave Coyote are fantastic, but I'd have to import to be able to afford one, and Mojave can't give me any support in rewiring it to be 230v compatible (understanably). The Reinhardt 18 also tickles my fancy somewhat, but with a similar problem. One longshot is the Soldano Atomic16 which I've seen used at a good price.

Incidentally, I plan to use the amp through a Greenback loaded Marshall.

Cheers for the help once again!

Al

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

Bro
    you can't go wrong with budda for what you are looking for.
    A very simple amp with shared EQ for channels.......
    I've had the sd30 and now have the sd80 which has been my main gigging amp for the last 5 years.

Buddas sound good with geenbacks,g12h30s,v30s.
    I've got a shiva and a Koch multitone so the Budda is in very good Company.......in the tone department it leads all other amps that I've had and tried.

Cheers
    Rick

3. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I own a Budda SD30 and love it,...outstanding amp, but I'm not sure the 18 or 30 would suit the description of your ultimate tone. The 18 and 30 are a bit on the dark side w/a focus in the low midrange, the 80 has more bottom and topend bite and will get you closer but is still on the darker side. The new SD45 is suppose to be similar to the 80,..runs two KT66's in the power section, switchable ss and tube rectifier. I imagine the rhythm channel of the 45 if cranked and pushed with a good clean boost and ran through a GB loaded cab would get you some over the top Angus type tones.

Sounds like a true Marshall inspired amp is what you're looking for. Roccaforte, Mojave, Germino and TopHat come to mind,..or maybe just go with an older Marshall,...JMP or JCM800?

4. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I'll second Probos' comments. I have had a Superdrive 30 for about 5 years and they are definitely a bit on the dark side and a bit compressed. The Budda's have enough of their own thing going that I would not lump them in with other Marshall clones. There's a healthy amout of Vox AC30 mixed in with the Marshall influence to my ears. Great sounding amp!

I also have an Aiken Intruder 30 and it's definitely closer to the tones you describe. More open and articulate than the Budda, but that is to be expected since the Aiken has less gain than the Budda. The Budda is probably too thick for Angus tones, but the Aiken will nail those with enough gain to get you close to VH territory.

5. worlez

worlez Member

Cheers for the replies. I am worried that the Budda will be just like the Cornford in terms of being very dark. Basically, if you imagine early Van Halen, but with just a touch more 'fire' in the midrange, its there - not bite or fizz or twang, but fire. And probably a bit less gain as well, but that sort of chunk. Listening to clips of the Soldano's make me think they are too thin and bright/high gain so I'm not really fussed about those.

I've tried the older Marshall's with mods, hotplates, PPIMV's etc and they never gave me what I wanted unfrotunately.

I've also tried an Aiken Intruder 30 which was a huge dissapointment - I'm not sure if mine had problems with it, but after lengthy discussions with Randall (who is extremely cool and a real nice guy) I ended up selling it. It didn't have the gain I expected, was very thin and very bright, with an odd midrange fizz to it that I didn't like.

Tell me more about Rocca's and TopHats. Also is there any experience with Reinhardt?

Cheers

Al

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

have you tried a Cornford Hellcat through Cornford 2 x 12 yet ?

that amp is the sweetest cleans married to seismic crunch ,i thought you would have loved this combination. the 2x12 projects awesomely and the Vintage 30s are the speakers martin kidd designed the amp to be used with ............you can tell that I just adore mine.

7. worlez

worlez Member

Yup I have - tried both the MK50 and the Hellcat through the 2x12. I gotta say though, I was a bit dissapointed. I found em both darker than my Hurricane, which put me off. I would be interested to try em again through my 4x12 however, although the Hellcat is rare as rocking horse **** on the 2nd hand market, and too expensive for me unfortuately. The £1k - £1200 mark is about my limit.

You got any clips of yours?

Cheers for the help so far - I'm pulling my hair out here!

Al

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

did you discuss this a while back on harmony central by any chance ?

are you al groves ?

if you are, id thought youd sold the hurricane.

tell ya what bud, ive ordered a 2nd amp for live gigs where im not thru a pa , its the Peavey 6505 , not the 6505+ which is a little too refined.

the peavey 6505 is the same amp as the EVH 5150 mark 1 , it is a high gain 120 watt monster...........i kid you not dude. rhythm channel crunch would flatten houses and the lead channel will destroy all property for about 6 miles.

the top guy IMO Steve at Sounds Great has ordered me one, they wont be here until 1st week in sept, you owe yourself to check it out, I played the 5150 mark 1 (same amp) and I simply couldnt believe the drive levels and weight of sound , you ever see a demented smiling cheshire cat , well thats what I was like !!

And now the best bit....................£699.00 !!!!! its so good its obscene mate.

jimmy

9. worlez

worlez Member

Yup, thats me:)

I did sell my Hurricane - but a jam mate of mine owns one and I was playing through it again last night. I like its smoothness of the mids, but its colour is just too dark.

I've also tried a 5150, I engineered a session for my producer where there was a 5150 and a Jubilee stack. It was very cool for high gain stuff, but just too modern and too high gain for me. Cool amp though.

Cheers for your help man!

Al

10. Ced777

Ced777 Member

Maybe the new Roccaforte HG30? :confused:

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

ok al

this may seem a bit obvious , but have you checked a late 70s JMP 50 , you put a barber direct drive in front of one of those and watch out .

here is an outlet to phone.
    http://www.twotribesmusic.co.uk/

based in north yorkshire, paul tribe comes very highly recommended by loads of players indeed and is worth a call. a guy i know has a 78 JMP50 thru 4x12 with a barber direct drive providing the drive.......oh man, what a tone and what a crunch.

Dont even consider a jcm900 or DSl / TSL , those late 70s JMP`s are just incredible.

12. worlez

worlez Member

I gotta say that I have tried a number of Marshalls - Superbass, JMP, JCM's etc. I've tried em stock, modded, PPIMV'd, attenuated, pedal'd and I've always found them just too much in terms of power - no control of the volume, and too 'simple' sounding? I dunno how to describe it, but they just didn't work for me. :(

The Roccaforte gets reccomended time and time again, and I'm very curious about em. The clips I've heard sound a bit grainy or dry, but I can imagine thats more production rather than the actual amp. The other thing that tickles my fancy is the Reinhardt, as well as the Sheldon, which I discovered in Guitarist mag. www.sheldonamps.com - any experience with these?

Jimmy - cheers for the link to twotribes - I never realised they were in North Yorks! I'm gonna try and get a trip over there I think.

Cheers for putting up with my fussyness!

Al

13. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

[​IMG]
    :D

14. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Excuse the spam,but I have a Mojave Coyote head,already wired for 230V,in brand new condition that I am considering selling at nowhere near the silly UK asking price.
    E-mail me if interested...

Ted

15. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

16. worlez

worlez Member

Jimmy mate, I gotta go out fer a bit, but I'll give those clips a listen to this evening. Cheers for helping me out man!

Al

17. worlez

worlez Member

PM sent!

Email me at worlez@hotmail.co.uk

Al

18. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

With the gain turned up and the master volume down low I can agree with your observations, but with the amp cranked up that's not my experience at all. Everyone's ears are different so maybe you were hearing something that I don't. Sounds like yours might have had some problems because I would definitely not describe the amp as very bright. It's brighter than my Superdrive 30, but not anywhere near as bright as some of the Marshalls I have played.

19. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

+1. I tried to use my Reinhardt that way and was let down at first. It is not a preampy gain type amp. If preamp fizz is your thing, then look elsewhere. However, with master on 8-9 and gain on 4-5, there is nothing but pure AC/DC to VH Keeeraaang! Mine is 36 watts so it's loud as ****. After playing this amp cranked through my greenback loaded 4x12 I have found the sound that I have always wanted to hear.:) I actually pulled 2 tubes, halfed the output impedance and used the amp last sunday in church with my 4x12. I got compliments on my tone from people that normally don't even speak to me.:cool:

Now I ain't saying you should go buy a Reinhardt, but the 18 and 36 watters these boutique guys are making are phenomenal when cranked.:dude

20. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the Hellcat doesnt suffer from fizz at all at lower vols , but cranking it up unleashes it in all its fury , it is most definitely a loud 35 watts, its cool when you can hear your amp on 10 without that deafening white noise effect.