Budda vs. Germino Comparison Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mike@switchback, Nov 11, 2005.

1. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Help me decide which of these two to keep. (Well, not really....but I'd be interested in everybody's input anyway. :D)

The amps are a Budda Superdive 80 head and a Germino Club 40 Head.

I'm short on time, so I just did 4 quick clips of each. The signal chain, except for the amp, is exactly the same for all four. I just put the amps on standby, swapped input and speaker cables, back and forth. Probably not using either amp to it's fullest, but I just dialed in what I felt like at the moment.

The guitar for the 2 cleaner clips was my EBMM Silhouette Special. The 2 dirty clips are my EBMM EVH.

The rest of the chain is -->wah (off)-->'70 fuzz (on briefly in each of the first two clips)-->OCD (off)-->Echoplex-->amp-->Marshall 4x12-->SM-57. No Hotplate.

As far as the amps go, I used the Budda's clean channel for the clean clips and the lead channel for the dirty clips. The Germino, I plugged into the high first input, then bridged into the second channel, on all clips.

Nothing done to any of the clips afterwards. Didn't take any time with mic placement (or learning to play). I'm spending more time typing this **** than I did recording, but I'm looking for you guys' input, so...

Germino Clip 1

Budda Clip 1

Germino Clip 2

Budda Clip 2

Germino Clip 3

Budda Clip 3

Germino Clip 4

Budda Clip 4

Thoughts?

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I should clarify...aside from the few seconds in each of the first two clips where the fuzz clicks on, the rest of the dirt in all of the clips comes from the amps.

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

Both sound real good,but if I had to choose,I'd go with the Budda. There was a real nice sparkle to the high end,and a touch more clarity.
    I bet they sound good run together...

4. js54

js54 Member

Germino!!

It sounds richer, fuller and warmer. The Buddha might be better suited for the modern high-gain stuff, but I like the Germino overall.

5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Without being in the room and judging purely based on these clips, the Germino sounds like it has a blanket over the speakers compared to the Budda.

6. spm

spm Member

Budda:dude
    Germino is too muddy?!

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I won't pick from these clips, because when people say the Germino sounds like it has a blanket over it, it sounds nothing like that to me.. Only on the Wind Cries Mary clip slightly, but the higher gain ones, ON MY SPEAKERS and with my ears, it's cleaner /clearer sounding than the Budda! SO, I know none of our opinions are even relevant unless we listen on the same systems!

REgardless of that babble , Mike , your SD80 clips always sound great. I bought an SD30II once upon a time back when and didn't like it nearly as much as most of the other guys on the net. I have a collection (very used! ) of loads of great amps and the SD30II just didn't stack up for me.. BUT , your SD80 clips always kick ass, and to me it sounds like a very different amp. There was nothing wrong with mine, but I just like your 80watter clips way better. Carry on
    :dude

ERIC

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

what would happen if you up'd the treble & presence controls on the Germino? and btw, up'ing the mid control adds a whole bunch of gain (if that's what you're after)....

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Agree on the darkness of the Germino in comparison - I liked the Budda for the cleaner stuff but preferred the Germino for the dirty stuff.

I think mic placement could make quite a difference. Thanks for doing the clips - that was interesting.

chris

10. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Budda. IMO, much more clarity while still being fat. There is a certain quality in the midrange I like.
    Greg

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

I'll give another vote to the Germino, IMO it has a nicer sweeter tone to it. Especially on the clean clips, but even when pushed I prefer the Germino.

Both sound very good though.

BTW, nice playing.

12. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

A few thoughts:

I don't think any of the clips sound all that great on their own, but that wasn't really the point. It was more about an A/B and relative comparisons within the limitations that I'm dealing with.

I'm not hearing the darkness or blanket in the Germino that some people are. But, having said that, the Germino has a LOT more spank available, but I felt it was at the expense of the sound thinning out and getting harsh on the top end. Granted, I've had the Germino for a grand total of two days and the Budda for three and a half years, so familiarity is an issue. But I feel that while you can dial in a wide range from dark to bright using the treble, presence, and balancing the two channels on the Germino, the "sweet spot" is somewhat small because it gets woofy on the dark side and icy on the treble side. I was just playing it with my LP for a bit and found that same thing. I almost want to say that it's kind of touchy to dial in.

Mic placement was the same for all clips, as was the rest of the chain.

13. js54

js54 Member

Never played a Club 40, but I've heard great things about them.

My Masonette has a very large sweet spot as did a friend's Lead 55 LoVo. Yeah, it can get a little muddy when pushed too hard, but I think that is the way they are...?

To get a tighter bass response and add more clarity, I've done the following:
    1. Don't jumper the two channels, use a Y-cable (I had mine hard wired). To me, this sounds waaaay better than a jumper.
    2. Try a 12AT7 in the Phase Inverter.
    3. I don't know about the Club 40, but changing rectifier tube types in the Masonette will affect things as well.

Just some ideas.......

14. mmorse

mmorse Member

Budda for clips 1 & 2. Germino for clip 3 and a toss up for clip 4.

15. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Interesting.

I used to own a Superdrive 30 and currently own a Germino Masonette. I found the SD30 somewhat compressed and did not have the dynamics of the Germino. I mainly play Historic Les Pauls much prefered the feel and tone of the Masonette....

You, however, sound more comfortable playing the Budda. The Budda also seems to be a bit more harmonic and complex, which surprised me. I also wonder if the Budda is better suited for the higher output (ceramic?) pickups of the Music Man guitars whereas the Germino likes the lower output Vintage style humbuckers ?

16. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

I think I slightly prefer the Germino (but it sounds a tad dull on some clips, where the Budda sounds a little thin & bright on some clips). Generally good tones though.

I think the comparison might get better mileage with more volume and no effects. Guitar->Amp and crank it. It didn't sound like you were playing that loud to me. I like to hear that transformer ring!

BK

17. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I'm definitely more comfortable playing the Budda, and I'm sure that colors my perception. But I agree about the complexity and the harmonics.

I was playing my R7 through both amps for a while after I made these clips and although it obviously gets a different tone than the EBMM's, my overall impression was still the same. When I mentioned the small sweet spot, I was talking about eq-wise vs. volume/dirt-wise, which I guess is what people are normally talking about when they talk about an amp's sweet spot. But I found the same thing with the LP. I think another way to put it is that it's a lot harder to dial in a bad sound on the Budda than it is on the Germino.

I don't have a Y cable to test with, but I definitely wouldn't be looking for more gain out of the Germino. It has way more than I expected. And I don't find it to be muddy until you really, really crank it. But the Budda gets pretty muddy and loose when you really crank it (pre and power), as well.

It's not that the Germino is a bad amp. It's actually really, really good. I just wasn't expecting the Budda to hang with it and, IMO, outclass it at its own game. Maybe I was drinking a little too much of the internet kool-aid lately. I fully expected to have the Budda on the Emporium by now, but...ehh...

Now, if you were judging a beauty contest it would be a no-brainer! (Click to ENLARGE.)

[​IMG]

18. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Thanks for checking them out. I should clarify though - the wah, fuzz, and OCD were all off, except for the tiny fuzz bits in the middle of the first set of clips. There's a slight bit of Echoplex on the Wind Cries Mary bit, before the amp in both cases. And they were loud as hell, although I can never get that to translate well on a recording. The lead clip, for example...that's all amp gain from the Germino, and once you get it breaking up that much, it is LOUD. Probably a good bit too loud for the average band rehearsal. The master on the Budda was at about 9:00-10:00 to match the Germino's volume.

I'm going to do some more playing with the Germino set much lower and using pedals for dirt, the way Myron Stratis does with his. He obviously gets incredible results.

19. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Ok, well, I didn't get the Germino to play my weak VH riffs. So these are some clips with I think some of the more authentic vintagey kinds of sounds that are the reason I bought this amp in the first place. This is still all amp, no pedals. Hotplated down a little bit this time (-8 or -12, can't remember) - I'd call it very loud practice volume. Thoughts?

Strat, Dry

Strat, Verb

Short LP Clip, Verb

Long LP Clip, Verb

ps - I would definitely call these darker and blankety, but that's intentional. Channels are jumpered but treble and presence are both OFF.

20. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

I'm sorry. I can't go with the crowd. The Germino sounds more complex and warm on your recordings. I've heard Joe Bonnamassa play the Budda live and it sounded great. But based on the sound samples alone.....Germino. It also had more bass content. I think that is what people are describing and a blanket over the speakers. I like a warm and complex amp.