1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

budda vs vht

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mlynn02, Nov 26, 2005.

1. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i played a budda superdrive 30 II the other day and it was really a great sounding amp, wounderful cleans and really warm overdrive. what a fat sound! so i'm wondering, how does this compare to the superdrive 45 or the vht pittbull 45? has anyone owned both or have experience with both?

thanks,
    matt

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The SD45's are still really new. I don't know that you will find many people who have owned both, let alone played both.

I'd say that of the two, the SD45 is more natural sounding, warmer, and fatter. The VHT is no slouch though. It's a different voicing from the SD45 IMO...more of the VHT thing going on which is very cool, but not much like the SD45. It depends on which direction you want to go with your sound :)

3. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I had an SD30 and Pitbull 45 at the same time, so here's my take.

SD30 has one of the nicest OD channels I've ever heard, and sounds more like it has EL34s. Very thick without getting muddy. Very easy to get the "brown" sound. The clean channel is unique, sort of a cross between Fender and Vox, and sounds more like it has 6L6s. The amp cleans up nicely when you roll back on the guitar's volume.

The VHT is more open sounding, and sounds like an EL84 amp. Not as much bottom/low mids as the SD30. It is a LOT more versatile, especially with the 4 button footswitch. The clean channel is kind of Voxy. The OD channel gets some nice crunch, but can't get the fatness of the SD30.

4. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I own both a SD 30 and a Pitbull 45. Both are great amps but very different. The SD 30 has a great clean tone like a good Vox and very big thick sounding dirty channel. The VHT is much more adjustable to get more tones but is not as dark an overdrive tone. The Budda Overdrive almost seems to be pre-set and doesn't change much. I don't think you can get a bad tone out of the Budda. The VHT can be clean or very agressive and reminds me more of a JCM 800 but with more gain available. The VHT also has reverb. I would say go with the Budda if you are looking for that modern pop tone without reverb and like a thick but "boxy" overdrive tone. If you want more flexability overall and want reverb, go with the VHT. Either one will give you great tone!

5. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i was looking for something of a dedicated lead amp to get gilmour/duane allman/warren haynes/jimmy herring tones. thick and smooth. i have a TR custom reverb that is gorgeous, but in a rock setting, sometimes it's just too refined and "clean" sounding even with lots of gain dialed in. reverb doesn't really matter i guess. also, how is the master vol on the buddas?

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Matt, the other guitar player in my band has a Pitbull 45 410. You're more than welcome to come check it out where you can really crank it up with a couple of other players along for the ride.

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i would love to do that...does the PB get in the ballpark of those tones i'm chasing?

8. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I think the Budda is closer to the tones you're chasing, but if you have the chance, check out the PB.

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Did you happen to have the SD30 and your Albert Lee at the same time? If so, was it a good match?

Terry

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

It depends a bunch on the guitar. It's a really versatile amp adn I think you could dial in something really close to what you're looking for. Shoot me an email and we'll get together. Are you on the south side of town?

11. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I've only demo'd a VHT, but I own a Budda SD30.
    The VHT will get a little more modern "in your face" tone,
    The SD series gives a good "brown", alice in chains, warren haynes tones. The sustain even at lower gain settings is phenominal.

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I did, and it was a very good match. Matter of fact, the SD30 wasn't particular which guitar was used, they all sounded good.

I didn't think the clean channel was Vox, but more a mix of Vox/Fender.

13. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I played through an sd30 and a sd45 combo the other day. The 45 was quite a bit brighter and more open than the 30. It's also an very "loud" amplifier. Definitely had more edge in the drive side. The cleans were really good. I personally preferred the sd 30's drive side.