Budda Wah, What Does It Compair To?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 58lespaulman, Dec 10, 2005.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've been looking at this one. Can somone give me the lowdown on the Budda Wah, like what does it sound like (Crybaby) or Vox, or whatever? Any comments would be appriciated.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

2. telecopter

telecopter Member

It's the best wah that I've had, and I had pretty much all the popular ones. Vox, Thomas, King-Vox, Crybaby(s), Picture Wah, Clyde Deluxe, etc.

I bought a brand new one a year ago that I didn't care for... it sounded like a crappy Crybaby. I later bought a used one that is KILLER. It growls, it screams, it almost talks.

The morale is, that they are probably inconsistent. Try several before you buy, if possible.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Got one when they first came out. They early ones are supposed to be shriller sounding, but not mine. Had to re-position the switch to make it easier to turn off & on, and the rubber tread peeled off a few years back, but it's a very solid pedal- good jacks & switches. Built to last.

It sounds voxy, to my ears. Like a V847, except better. Best wah I've owned. Certainly blows away the various Crybabys I've had.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Great wah. Especially good cut-through on overdriven tracks.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

6. drolling

drolling Member

Agreed!!
    But it doesn't slice thru' fuzz, or octave/fuzz. I've never had one that did. I just added a Foxrox booster kit to my old V847 for that purpose, as I just couldn't bring myself to tampering w/the stock tone of the Bud.

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

another vote for the budda! my fave out of all my wah's, vox,teese wizard,
    fulltone clyde, george dennis.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

9. Occam

Occam Member

I recently went back to my Budda Wah+ (though I never use the clean boost feature). I also have a Foxrox in it which really helps. I tried switching to a Fulltone Deluxe Clyde and it's just simply not as good with my main gig rig so I'm going to try it at home and decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

10. TDavis

TDavis Member

I picked up a Budda to use after selling my Pic Wah, and I like it better than the 2 Teese's and Fulltone Standard, and old Crybaby I've owned.That being said, not everyone has the same "tastes" when it comes to wahs.It's alot of trial and error.....and I just got aggravated with the search, so I'm having John Landgraff build me one.

11. royd

royd Member

When I was searching for a wah about a year ago, I tried a Budda and it sounded very very very similar to the crybaby they had next to it... for the price differential, it just wasn't worth it.
    I ended up getting a crybaby modded by doobtone off of e-bay.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

+1 the boost is scratchy and crappy. Isn't it supposed to be a VOLUME pedal, too, though, not a boost? If you're into ice-pick, the volume side of the Bud-wah+ brings it to a new level. Anyone ever heard of a mod to make that function useful?

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a new CryBaby and a Teese Picture wah. I love them both.
    Slightly off thread, my favorite wah tone has to be Terry Kath.
    His lead tone, with wah engaged, actually said the word 'WAH' when he stepped on the pedal.
    Now THAT'S a wah pedal! Anybody know what he used for a wah??
    :cool:
    S.
    j

14. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

I've used about 5 different Budda Wah pedals. Three of them sounded pretty good, one was thinner, and one was VERY thin sounding, even after Jeff Bober replaced the inductor for free after I complained about the tone (the guys at Budda are very cool, BTW).

They all had a Vox V847 kind of tone, but with more treble and less bass. This is inherent in the tone and no amount of messing with the pot position changes this; that will change just the operating range of the wah, but not the frequency response of the bandpass filter. The Budda wah is more "hi-fi" sounding than other wahs I've tried. Very clean, quiet and refined with lots of harmonics. Also, they all added a slight volume boost which is either good or bad depending on your preferences.

The good ones sound very good IMO. Fat and piercing. It's all a matter of taste though and the surrounding gear makes a difference.

All Budda wahs have a somewhat limited physical travel; the sweep occurs over a short pedal distance so they are harder for me to control than, say, my Teese Picture wah.

I prefer the Picture wah personally because it offers a bit more range, it's easier for me to control, and, most importantly, has the tone I was looking for. However, I don't know if I can say it's better than the Bud-Wah. It's just different in a way that I prefer.