Buddy Guy signature Wah pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by studiojig, Sep 10, 2008.

1. studiojig

studiojig Member

Anyone tried one of these? As I understand it, they sound pretty good, have a good sweep, and are true bypass. What say you?

2. StratManKudzu

StratManKudzu Member

haven't heard one, but i want one.
    mmm... polka dots

3. studiojig

studiojig Member

:)

I'm interested as well, though not just for the dots.... are these very new to the market or something? I'd have expected to hear more about 'em by now unless they've just been released or something.

4. StratManKudzu

StratManKudzu Member

well early this year or late-late last year, I think the marketing behind it was/is very minimal.

5. studiojig

studiojig Member

Bump for the morning crowd... anyone else have insights?

6. RickB

RickB Member

7. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

I just saw a demo for this on my cable channels FreeZone where they have Guitar player gear reviews.
    It's got two sweep ranges, one deep, and one Buddy. To my ears, the deep was too deep (and probably wouldn't cut through very well in a live setting), and the Buddy was a little too trebly.

Never tried it in person.

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

Anyone have any idea if it's True Bypass, or if not, if there's a lot of tone suck?

9. studiojig

studiojig Member

The specs on it state that it's True Hardwire Bypass. Interesting that Mayer is using one... then again, I'm not certain what he was using prior.

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've looked at the specs three times prior to this and yet, I've never noticed that it did say "True Hardwire Bypass". Duh...Thanks for pointing that out.

The guitar world demo sounds pretty damn good. I may have to pick one of these up.

As far as Mayer goes, I know he was using an RMC2/3 for a while before the BG.

11. studiojig

studiojig Member

Wow... so he went from RMC to the BG eh? I wonder how much had to do with sound quality vs. Dunlop endorsement? I mean, the one review by Guitar World (Paul Riario??) does sound good, but it's always hard to really tell without putting your own hands and ears on it.

That said, I may pick one up too and just exercise the return policy if it turns out to be a dud. Been debating between this and the RMC Wizard..

12. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

Im pretty sure John can afford it or have either one for free if he wanted it.
    I would think all his choices are based on his wants and needs.

13. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Dunlop may be giving him things to try, but I think he plays what interests him. He likes to experiment.
    I believe prior to the BG wah, he was using a plain GCB-95 Dunlop Crybaby?
    So I pose the question has anyone here moved from a Teese to a Dunlop?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  14. madscientist

madscientist Member

Bump to find out if anyone has tried the BG wah yet? Any comments?

15. RickB

RickB Member

Add Neal Schon to the BG Wah users list. I definitely want to check one of these pedals out sometime. I might just order one from MF.......

16. madscientist

madscientist Member

I think you should, and give us a detailed report.

I'm close to pulling the trigger though, that's for sure.

17. RickB

RickB Member

Fine!

Have you seen any of them in any of the stores in Boston? I haven't so that is why I will probably just order through MF. I might wait and get the EVH wah at the same time when they are in stock and see what's up with that one and the "worn pot" that they replicated. :NUTS :cool:

18. madscientist

madscientist Member

I haven't seen the BG in any stores around here, though, I haven't checked Mr. Music in Allston.

If you're going to get them both, you know you're going to have to post clips, right?

19. madscientist

madscientist Member

Alright...I caved; I ordered the BG from Proguitarshop.com. Should be here next week. I'll give a full report when I get it.

BTW...Mr. Music has a BG Wah, if you're looking.

20. 1esotericguy

1esotericguy Member

I've had it for about a year. Got it when it first came out. GC doesn't stock it, so that's probably why it's not very well known. I've never seen it in any store in LA. It's True Bypass. And I use it in the NON BG mode most of the time. It's very very vocal. You can really make it sound like a talk box. The souncdclips on Dunlop's site are accurate: (click the "ROCK THIS SOUND" link on this page - http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=302&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail