Buddy Holly Strat

Rock72

Did Fender ever release a Buddy Holly Signature strat? Just saw andocumentary on Holly who died at 22, truly one of the pioneers of guitar rock. Then I had to look up what happened with his strat:

http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/guitar.html

Kind of cool that his parents let everyone who visited them at home play Buddy's guitar

Lublin

Not sure, but if you get a '57 reissue your almost all of the way there, except for any Buddy Holly signature model documentation.

Kardula

random cool story bro' time:

I walked into my local repair guy's shop here in lubbock and he was holding and old strat with some old lady sitting in the chair and they were chatting while the guy was looking over the strat. I quietly observed and could tell the guitar looked older, but no clue how much older...I started listening in on the conversation, which they started including me in and it turns out that the old lady was David Box's sister, and the strat that the luthier was looking at was Box's old strat. They said it had been in a closed since Box's death in '64...the guy said it was either a 58 or a 57 and appraised it off the cuff at give or take 25k. It was interesting to be in the presence of such a neat artifact.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
To my knowledge, there has never been an official Buddy Holly Stratocaster. I think Fender has tried to make it happen, but they couldn't work out the details with Buddy's widow. Too bad...

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
If I'm not mistaken, Buddy's Strat was a '56, a somewhat plain Ash.
As far as I'm concerned, any era accurate, Ash '50's Strat is a Buddy Holly model.

SGNick

To my knowledge, there has never been an official Buddy Holly Stratocaster. I think Fender has tried to make it happen, but they couldn't work out the details with Buddy's widow. Too bad...
I believe Buddy's sister is the one controlling that kind of thing, and she's VERY protective of her brother's name, and things associated to it.

tazzboy

Silver Supporting Member
The signature guitar that I was aware of was the one Gibson Did of J 45 Acoustic Guitar.

Bob Pollock

Gold Supporting Member
Buddy owned between 5 and 7 Strats during his career. Most got stolen when he was touring.

cherrick

random cool story bro' time:

I walked into my local repair guy's shop here in lubbock and he was holding and old strat with some old lady sitting in the chair and they were chatting while the guy was looking over the strat. I quietly observed and could tell the guitar looked older, but no clue how much older...I started listening in on the conversation, which they started including me in and it turns out that the old lady was David Box's sister, and the strat that the luthier was looking at was Box's old strat. They said it had been in a closed since Box's death in '64...the guy said it was either a 58 or a 57 and appraised it off the cuff at give or take 25k. It was interesting to be in the presence of such a neat artifact.
Who was David Box?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Buddy owned between 5 and 7 Strats during his career. Most got stolen when he was touring.

Mark Johnson of MJ Guitars came into possession of one of Buddy's Strats, and I got to play it about 6-7 years ago. It was not taken care of too well, as it sat over time....but it was cool none the less!

robertkoa

Funny thing about Fender Signature Guitars is they usually sound very similar to "regular" Fenders.....there are exceptions, but I'd like to see more of them.

Kelsey

I think you can get pretty close with a CS 56 or similar Strat. The 57AVRI or MiM Classic 50s should get in the ballpark, too.

Guitarworks

I believe Buddy's sister is the one controlling that kind of thing, and she's VERY protective of her brother's name, and things associated to it.
It's likely that Fender runs into this quite a bit. They want to make a tribute model, but reach an impasse and cannot agree on terms with the people in charge of the estate for one reason or another. In Buddy's case, you can get pretty close if not spot on with a 2-tone SB 50s reissue, I would think.

JamesT

ash body maple neck 50s vintage /mild pickups. you also need a "fender" amp something like the deluxe reverb issue one. but i would rather have an early 70s silver face one.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Funny how others can ink a deal with Holly's estate, but Fender can't. Same situation with Hendrix's estate...we have a DigiTech pedal but no Hendrix Strat?

Ampegged

Silver Supporting Member
It is his wife that is VERY protective of the name, at least as far as money goes....

Trending Topics