Buddy Holly's Stratocasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Buddy had two Stratocasters stolen during his brief career. This first was a late-1954 or early-1955 model. He played this guitar on early hits such as "That'll Be the Day" and "Peggy Sue."

The guitar was stolen from a tour bus in Michigan in the fall of 1957. A 1957 Strat was then purchased in Detroit as a replacement which he needed for a show. This replacement is the guitar that you see in pictures with the pickup covers worn away.

Unfortunately, it too was stolen in April of '58 from the band's station wagon while they ate at a restaurant in St. Louis, Missouri.

I'd love to know the whereabouts of these historical Strats...

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

3. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Yes, the article that I read said that he had 4 or 5 Stratocasters. I guess the final one would be the Strat that John Page worked on. Would be interesting to know if Buddy ever had his hands on a rosewood board model.

I suppose the fact that he died in early February of '59 didn't leave much time/chance for him to experience a transition model.

4. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Most changes in Fender models of guitars and amps occurred mid-year, so the change to RW fretboards in '59 likely happened after Buddy was gone.

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I just saw his final strat; a 58 that was on the bus while he was on the plane.
    Maple board.

The story connected with it is that the freebie he got from Femder was stolen in East St Louis, IL and he had Manny's in NYC send him this one. He only played it a few months.
    After his death, it stayed at his parents' home for years, and they let anyone who ce through play it. It also spent some te at a Hard Rock Cafe.
    In 99, I think, it went to Fender for clening and restoration.
    The neck was marked 4/58, it has a five spring trem and there was a Gibson medium pick wedged under the guard. That pick is now visibly wedged under the guard and it sits on display at the Buddy Holly center in Lubbock. Gorgeous guitar and nearly pristine.

[​IMG]

6. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I played that last one at a show called The Adventures Of Buddy Holly in Dallas in '80. I knew his songs dead on and his brother brought it opening night and offered it to me to play. It was spooky! Played his J00 as well with lyrics and stuff still in the case! A real highlight of many years playing guitar.

The_Whale likes this.
  7. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Great post, Sproing. That Strat does look to be in wonderful condition; hard to imagine that it's from 1958.

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Lotis, what do you remember about its sound and feel? Thin neck?

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Very cool photo!

10. GiddyHitch

GiddyHitch Member

What the heck? How do you wear through pickup covers in six months?

11. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

Sonny Curtis (in The Real Buddy Holly Story) said that Buddy was always playing downstrokes and got a really powerful sound. Maybe that did in the pickup covers?

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Weren't those covers made with Bakelite back then and not very durable?

13. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

What a treat! Did you mean to type j200? That guitar is at the museum now, too.

Both under glass now. I understand. But it's a bit of a shame to keep them silent if you ask me.

The_Whale likes this.