Buddy Miller - real country music

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mannish, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mannish

mannish Member

Listening to a lot of Buddy Miller over the weekend, he's the real deal but of course you knew that. I find it perplexing that some were singing the praises of Chris Stapleton & the throwback 'real sound' when Buddy Miller has been doing it for years without that kind of general fan praise.

He's won about 13 AMA awards so music insiders know but the basic fan, I just don't hear them talking about Buddy Miller who really is the real deal.

This is nothing against Stapleton at all it's more about marketing and the fans

fantastic writing, playing, singing, production..etc

Don't know if he was won a CMA or Grammy in country category, if not that's messed up

jeffinaustin and Thinsocks like this.
  2. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Buddy Miller heads the "house band" for the Americana Music Awards every year. He backs up everyone. That says a lot. He's tops in my book.

3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Buddy is the real deal.

-bEn r.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

He is as good as anyone I've seen and heard and is also a really nice guy (the couple of times I've met him), very unpretentious and humble.

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I think he might be too busy working to worry about it much.

Crowder and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  6. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

I've always dug what I've seen of him. Especially his pawn shop stable.

blues bird likes this.
  7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The average TGP already knows about Buddy and we kind of accepted that he's a given. Lord, we'd be in too much trouble without guys like him to get us past Gangster Country. But. Buddy's probably not going to be playing on the sound system at your local restaurant the way Chris will now be playing.

Stapleton is making a big enough statement or splash, that there's a return to some of the core attributes of what Country/Nashville Pop listeners will be buying, downloading, demanding to hear. We go through stages where every vocalist is trying to sound like Dylan, like Lennon, like Jack Bruce, like George Jones, like Dave Matthews, like Cookie Monster, like George Strait, like Chris Cornell, like John Mayer, and now fewer people are going to try to sound like Florida Georgia Line.

sfarnell likes this.
  8. mannish

mannish Member

I agree the perplexing part to me is why Buddy is NOT playing over the sound system at local joint when he is doing the same type of music, better.

9. mannish

mannish Member

ran into him in Atlanta when he was playing with Emmy Lou Harris-Spyboy at the Variety - He was very surprised that someone would recognize him. Another time he was doing his show & I requested a song he sais wow thanks for knowing that song.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Jon C likes this.
  10. rwmct

rwmct Member

Love his music. His wife is really good too.

Favorite Buddy Miller moment was when he was opening for Ms. Harris, doing a cover of Showman's Life and she came out to do that harmony vocal. It sounded perfect.

11. Horseandguitarguy

Horseandguitarguy Member

I think folks close to the business know and respect Buddy. The average fan, and insiders alike are blown away by Stapleton's writing as well as his vocal power. Buddy's no slouch in the vocal department, but Stapleton's amazing.

tele1951 likes this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Well, his name consists of two beer labels, Bud & Miller, so that's Country.

tele1951 likes this.
  13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Buddy's great. I met him at NAMM in 2007. He was in a rush to get to someone's booth, but we chatted for a minute, posed for a photo, and he talked to me about his Wandre guitars.

14. Gallus

Gallus Member

Massive BM fan over here. Aside from his solo stuff, which is amazing, and his stuff with the missus, which is brilliant, he really took the role of Emmylou guitar picker in Spyboy and tore it a new one. No mean feat considering the standards set by those who came before him in that role.

Still trying to get my head around what he brought to the table for "Aint Livin' Long Like This". It's on the 'tube. Check it out

15. tele1951

tele1951 Supporting Member

Agreed^^. I love Buddy(and Julie) but I think Chris Stapelton's voice and songwriting is a little more commercial or mainstream.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'm not sure if he still is, but he was the musical producer for "Nashville" after T-Bone left.

Lots of great songs on that show...

17. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

Since the second season it's been Canadian guitar player Colin Linden, solo artist and member of Blackie and the Rodeo Kings

I first saw Buddy and Julie open for Emmy Lou, and then Buddy played in the band- with Brady Blade on drums. I bought all the Buddy/ Julie CDs that night and have been a big fan ever since.

And, he curates the Cayamo Cruise every year.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

IMDB says executive music producer, 23 episodes from 2013-2015?

19. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

What's the problem? They're both good! ;)

20. rwmct

rwmct Member

Ah. Blackie and the Rodeo Kings.

When they name a band after one of your songs, that is pretty cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016