• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

"Budget " Bass for Home recording recommendations

beanoboy

I'm a guitar player who records a lot at home on my iMac. I'm looking for a "bang for the buck" Bass for recording. MUST have great intonation and at least two solid core tones. Ideally, the $300-$400 range would be preferable. Any recommendations?

Multicellular

Great intonation is a matter of a good setup. With the way even the cheapest basses bridges are made, (with the exception of some of the beatles' style 'violin' basses) you can get perfect intonation.

For different tones..

I'd look at one of these.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGSR...DtWRhXfBj1UvztsmhPH7Tzr7IPJVwNE9vUaApU18P8HAQ

Has an EQ boost thing. Not that you couldn't get that from a pedal, but yea.

These Ibanezes may not be TGP approved, but they are solid and sound great even tho I'm a German Warwick playing snob.

or these
also have an active circuit. iirc, not on all the time.

http://www.samash.com/epiphone-toby...uSh2r9Do4WTqc97hxOvjvfH-zZ9a0NuANwaAvz88P8HAQ

And the Fender Squire Vintage Modified are nice and within your range. I would be less likely to say they have strongly different tones on the different pickups. At least compared to the above.

Skibum00

I was looking for the same thing a while back and went with one of the basses from Rondo music, basically a J Bass look alike but actually sounded pretty good recorded.

DanR

I use a Fender Squire Bronco Bass, which is short scale and does the job just fine for me for home recording. I paid $130 brand spankin' new.

guitargod0dmw

MIM J bass strung with rounds. It's tough to beat a P or a J. They're arguably the two most recorded basses in history.

A J can do a decent approximation of a P bass when you roll off the bridge pickup volume. I say string it with rounds because you can always roll off the tone for a flat wound type of sound but you'll never get the same zing as rounds if you string it with flats.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I think a used MIM Jazz Bass would be fine for what you are looking for.

mtperry85

Cort also makes good bang-for-the-buck basses... mine has the option to use passive or active pickup setings which give me plenty of recording tones.

beanoboy

Great intonation is a matter of a good setup. With the way even the cheapest basses bridges are made, (with the exception of some of the beatles' style 'violin' basses) you can get perfect intonation.

For different tones..

I'd look at one of these.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGSR...DtWRhXfBj1UvztsmhPH7Tzr7IPJVwNE9vUaApU18P8HAQ

Has an EQ boost thing. Not that you couldn't get that from a pedal, but yea.

These Ibanezes may not be TGP approved, but they are solid and sound great even tho I'm a German Warwick playing snob.

or these
also have an active circuit. iirc, not on all the time.

http://www.samash.com/epiphone-toby...uSh2r9Do4WTqc97hxOvjvfH-zZ9a0NuANwaAvz88P8HAQ

And the Fender Squire Vintage Modified are nice and within your range. I would be less likely to say they have strongly different tones on the different pickups. At least compared to the above.
THANKS! I like both of your recommendations although the Epiphone brand doesn't thrill me quality-wise. The Toby, however, is totally UN-Epiphone! lol I'll steer clear of Squiers as well. I had a MIM Jazz that was a dud a few years back. The Ibanez is, at this stage, the front runner.

loudboy

I'll go on record as saying that the Ibanez Soundgear bass is the worst-sounding bass I've ever heard.

I used to cringe when a band would come in the studio with one. 2 tones - boom and clank. None of the beautiful lo-mid note definition of a P- or J-Bass.

Can't go wrong w/a Mexi Fender, or even a Squier.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
for my home thing I got a Blacktop P bass and a Squier Fretless.

The P is almost too big, must compress.

havent recorded the fretless yet, its for the weird music i must get out of my head.

beanoboy

I'll go on record as saying that the Ibanez Soundgear bass is the worst-sounding bass I've ever heard.

I used to cringe when a band would come in the studio with one. 2 tones - boom and clank. None of the beautiful lo-mid note definition of a P- or J-Bass.

Can't go wrong w/a Mexi Fender, or even a Squier.
Whoa! I have to take notice of your comments. Boom and Clank are NOT what I'm looking for. I had a MIM Jazz. Sounded awful and the intonation was a hassle. Did I have a lemon? Squiers, Fenders' budget line, scare me. The only budget line instrument I felt had quality, was the PRS SE line.

LanEvo

Don't buy a cheap bass with active electronics. Unless you're talking about high-end basses with Mike Pope preamps and such, it just adds tons of noise. Besides, you'll have much more EQ available on your recording software.

Just buy a used Precision Bass with split-coil pickup. It's the standard for a reason. Brand is largely unimportant. Even a Rondo/SX will sound good.

enroper

I used to own a yamaha p-bass knock off from the late 90's. I'm stupid for selling it. It played, sounded and felt great. I played $1000+ basses that still didnt feel as good as this little yamaha. So yea, find one of those

ncyankee

I don't love blanket statements but I think the best bang for the buck bass is the Yamaha BB series. They are not narrow neck things like Ibanez but are super comfortable and play like $1000+ basses. I have the BB614 (active pickup 4 string) and it is amazing with great frets and neck.

guitargod0dmw

Whoa! I have to take notice of your comments. Boom and Clank are NOT what I'm looking for. I had a MIM Jazz. Sounded awful and the intonation was a hassle. Did I have a lemon? Squiers, Fenders' budget line, scare me. The only budget line instrument I felt had quality, was the PRS SE line.
Saying an Ibby only does boom or clank is silly IMO. They're just as capable as anything else out there. Just what they're capable of depends on the player. Put one in the hands of a good bassist and it'll sound good.

Just like every instrument out there MIM Fenders can be great, mediocre, or lemons. Same goes with Squier. Their Classic Vibe stuff is actually pretty good. There are plenty of gigging bassists out there using them.

I'm not sure why you say the intonation was a hassle on the MIM J you had. If it was an issue staying properly intonated because the saddles shifted I might consider swapping out the bridge but otherwise there shouldn't be anything holding it back from being spot on. A good setup will go a long ways on any budget minded instrument.

I'm a session bassist. I never show up to the studio without either a P bass or a J bass...both usually. I carry a passive P bass strung with flats and an active J bass strung with rounds. Sometimes I'll bring a Stingray or a PJ if the session calls for it. I've got plenty of other basses but those are the most requested by far.

PJ's are great in that they'll give you a P bass tone and something a little different. You can solo the J pickup to get a nice burpy J tone (a la' Jaco), you can solo the P pickup for a P tone, or you can combine both and get a P tone with a little more cut to it. In general they're a lot more P than J.

Davo17

For 400 you have options. You can get a used Fender MIM but I think you might get more milage out of a Squier P with upgraded pickups. For 400 you could probably get new pups and pots/jack installed.

There aren't any shortage of great tones in a P, they are humbucking (and so record well), and they sit well in a mix. I even like the foam-muted tones it can produce quite a bit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom