• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

"Budget " Bass for Home recording recommendations

schristie

Silver Supporting Member
The import Sterling and Sterling Sub basses are really hard to beat. Solid construction, decent electronics out of the box (active EQ) and a variety of tones out of a "one" pickup configuration with series / parallel and single coil options.

DRS

Godin Freeway basses are a really good value used. Also MIM P or J like others have said. My MIM P sounds great. I'd be cautious of those cheap cheap Ibanez Gio basses. The necks are too slender.

gearscrubs

Not sure if they still make them but I have a Squier Standard Series P-bass special that I dropped some Wilde p/u's in. Sounds and plays great.

Last edited:

doc

Silver Supporting Member
For home recording, get a vintage Peavey T-40. Great quality, very good sounding bass, can be found for between $250 and $400. Major drawback is they are quite heavy. For home recording, that's no big deal, just sit down when you play bass. They also have a very versatile electronics setup for a passive bass.

Flogger59

You cannot go wrong with a used Yamaha. They punch way over their price range, solid hardware, they feel good and sound good. Bonus, they are worth almost nothing on the used market. Why? I dunno. Just stay away from an active bass, passive is what you want.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I picked up a Starcaster J bass when they were blowing them out, switched out the pickups for a set of DiMarzios I had lying around and I gotta say, it plays and sounds really good. I can't attest to how it will hold up in the long term, I've had neck twisting issues with some of the really cheap stuff, but for now, it's a killer bass!

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
My favorite budget basses are Ibanez and Yamaha.

caspa

Gold Supporting Member
I would probably suggest the musicman sub bass as well. That humbucker just seems to sit in the mix right.

I personally sold off my jaguar bass I bought for home recording because it is much easier to record a bassline on the neck/middle position of my guitar, drop it down an octave in the software and run it through a lowpass and a bass amp emulation.

Would definitely recommend trying it out, I love the simplicity and tone.

94prs22

Platinum Supporting Member
My opinion is that the Peavey T-40 suggestion is excellent. I'd also suggest an 80s Guild Pilot bass which I suspect can be had in the price range suggested as well. Neither of these were in any way considered budget basses when originally made, they're just not too expensive today on the used market.
Brandon

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
Getting different tones out of a bass doesn't require anything special from the bass. It's a right hand thing. Use your fingers, thumb, or a pick. Palm mute or not. There's a world of different tones right there.

HayekFan

Squier Classic Vibe. I've got the CV 60's Precision and it is awesome. Some deal as you -- guitarist who needed a bass for recording. I upgraded the pickups and electronics but the improvement was marginal. Just leave it stock. A Jazz bass has more variety of sounds -- I know because I've got a really nice J now -- but a P has a better basic bass sound. The Classic Vibe P more than gets the job done.

icr

Back in the 1980s I used a Musicmaster bass for recording. The short scale was fun and easy to play.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'd forgotten about Peavey. My son plays an old Foundation, sort of their take on the MusicMan idea with soapbar looking pickups. They still sell for around $200 for the 4 string version, and the neck is stout enough to string with the lower 4 from a 5 string set if you want that sound. Check out Blue Matches for the sound...

Blue Matches "Down and Out" Nashville

IbanezRokr

I played bass for a few years in our band. My Ibanez SR300 and I have been through it all. Mine is an older one with a P/J set up. Fantastic bass, records great. I've also done some on a peavey millenium, surprisingly good bass too.

But honestly, the best budget sounding bass that i've ever recorded with was a Squire Affinity w/ DiMarzio Model J's. I had no idea it was a squire until after. That thing was just the punchiest thickest bass ever. I was shocked.

scott944

Decent, sometimes very decent, basses are thick in pawn shops, at least around here. American made Peaveys are nice, and can be had for $100, or so. Look past the grime and find a bargain!

TheClev

As seen on TV
Newer Warwick Corvette Rockbasses can be found used in that price range, and they really are fantastic instruments. They beat the crap out of any Ibanez I've played or owned. I'm talking about the newer ones, mind you, with the "W" on the headstock, the 3D German bridge and the MEC pickups. The older ones were just meh.

For recording, I'd recommend a virtual instrument like Spectrasonic's Trillian. Covers every bass sound imaginable and is going to sound way better than any budget bass rig.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom