• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

"Budget" Bass for recording Recommendations

beanoboy

I'm a guitar player who records a lot at home on my iMac. I'd like a "bang for the buck" bass for recording. Must have great intonation and at least two solid core tones. Music includes Classic Rock, Country Rock and "JanglePop" 60s. No Metal. Ideally, I'd like to be in the $300-$400 range. Any recommendations?

dewey decibel

You may want to consider a short scale bass, I'm going to get one after spending a lot of time with my buddy's EB-0. I'm looking at the Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified SS, they're like $180 brand new. That or and vintage Musicmaster, Mustang or Bronco. Any of those would be killer for jangle pop.

Fifthstone

I was in the same boat as the OP and I went with a new Geddy Lee bass. Great instrument and highly recommended. In your price range new, consider the Squier Classic Vibe. They have a great rep. This would leave you enough for a good DI for recording. I can recommend the Eden pedal. Great flexibility and tone.

eicca

I've heard the SX basses at Rondo Music are good bang for the buck. If they're the same value as the Agile guitars, they should be good.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I'll also add the suggestion I had in a similar earlier thread - Peavey T40. Great sounding, well built, made in USA and very versatile bass, just really heavy. For recording that's no big deal, just sit down while playing. Should be able to find one for between two hundred and four hundred dollars.

jcs

I'll also add the suggestion I had in a similar earlier thread - Peavey T40. Great sounding, well built, made in USA and very versatile bass, just really heavy. For recording that's no big deal, just sit down while playing. Should be able to find one for between two hundred and four hundred dollars.
The range of tones available from Peavey T40 is "mind boggling" really...especially for a passive bass & they are getting VERY collectible too.

Very hard to find under $300 these days though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom