• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Budget Boutique Pedal Substitutes

inuitdream

There are a lot of really great Boutique pedals. Tones are definitely up there against the usual mass produced stuff. But once in a while the majors actually hit a homerun. Any ideas for substituting boutique with budget pedals?

I know that this might open up a whole can of worms. So pls respect people's opinions here pls. :)

Let me start:
Zvex Fuzz Factory = Zoom Ultra Fuzz
King of Tone = Marshall Bluesbreaker 1
Klon = ?
Strymon El Capistan = ?
Sunface GE = ?
Beano Boost = ?

Hoping to get your suggestions here and your own ideas for substitutes.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
The Mooer Eleclady is, in all honesty, the best Flanger/Chorus pedal I've used for less than $300. I paid $44 including shipping.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I got it from Marcmart with the Mooer coupon - they are currently out of elecladys, but wtfaccessories has 'em and I think they have a $44 coupon as well. Took 25 days to get here from China, but it is seriously awesome. It booted a boutique chorus pedal from the board (or at least made me feel OK in trading a chorus pedal).

dysorexia

I got it from Marcmart with the Mooer coupon - they are currently out of elecladys, but wtfaccessories has 'em and I think they have a $44 coupon as well. Took 25 days to get here from China, but it is seriously awesome. It booted a boutique chorus pedal from the board (or at least made me feel OK in trading a chorus pedal).
Great, I'll be picking one up. Thanks!

steam-powered

Let me start:
Klon = ?
Strymon El Capistan = ?
Sunface GE = ?
Beano Boost = ?
No budget versions of the Beano or a Sunface GE come to mind. After spending the last few days with my AM silver mod SD-1 (asymmetrical clipping) I realized that it sounds a LOT like a boutique od I've tried in the past but can't recall the name.

JesterR

I think, that it's like trying to substitute Ferrari with something "not so expansive". Only Ferrari would be Ferrari. You can buy another car. Cheap or Pricey, good or bad, but substitute? I do not think so. Same with pedals. OD? Buy any other Od, which you like. BD-2 is great boost to make your sound a little bigger. Fuzz? Tons of companies has fuzzes. Dunlop has 5 fuzzfaces. Delay? you can buy any. DE-7 can do a smoother tone, then regular digital delay. Echopark has tape model.

MG90

I think, that it's like trying to substitute Ferrari with something "not so expansive". Only Ferrari would be Ferrari. You can buy another car. Cheap or Pricey, good or bad, but substitute? I do not think so. Same with pedals. OD?
Na... Most expensive pedals are not Ferraris. Lots of the hype is just bs. Copies of generic circuits. I think the OP is on the right track.

timhulio

For the Klon the obvious choice is the Bad Monkey, but to be honest no one in the audience would be able to tell if you used a Boss SD-1.

JesterR

Na... Most expensive pedals are not Ferraris. Lots of the hype is just bs. Copies of generic circuits. I think the OP is on the right track.
Not an exactly same thing, but pretty close. Ferrari also just a car, and "clone" of any other car. Functionally it did the same thing, but done with better materials, not mass produced and also have a lot of hype. Pretty same thing with many boutique pedals. Just more people can afford this, so, this market has way more players, then car market.

MG90

Switches are the same, jacks, opamps, diodes, caps pots...it's not like a $400 OD is using any better parts than a $129 Barber OD.

JesterR

Switches are the same, jacks, opamps, diodes, caps pots...it's not like a $400 OD is using any better parts than a $129 Barber OD.
Is Barber not a boutique? For me, this is one of the most authentic manufacturer in terms of boutique stuff: clever design, well built, good hardware.

But, well, that is not my idea. Maybe I was not too clear. My idea is:
For actual substitute in terms of same sound you should do actual clone of pedal, with same quality of parts. But part of boutique stuff has different schemes, so they does not have budget alternatives, and others are just the same thing, but done better, with better parts, so in both cases there are not actual substitutes. Because in first case, you would buy another pedal in anyway, and in the second case it's just means you can buy as quality pedal, as you can and that is not an actual substitute, just a cheaper made pedal.

So, it would be basically more informative just to ask about a good but quality OD, fuzz face, booster and tape echo sim, not a substitute to particular pedals.

Last edited:
There are a lot of really great Boutique pedals. Tones are definitely up there against the usual mass produced stuff. But once in a while the majors actually hit a homerun. Any ideas for substituting boutique with budget pedals?

I know that this might open up a whole can of worms. So pls respect people's opinions here pls. :)

Let me start:
Klon = ?
Strymon El Capistan = ?
Sunface GE = ?
Beano Boost = ?

Hoping to get your suggestions here and your own ideas for substitutes.
Seems a little unfair to Marshall to say the the BB1 is a cheap version of the KOT when the KOT is based on the Bluesbreaker pedal, and you'll be hard pressed finding a BB1 for cheap...

FF71

I think, that it's like trying to substitute Ferrari with something "not so expansive". Only Ferrari would be Ferrari. You can buy another car. Cheap or Pricey, good or bad, but substitute? I do not think so. Same with pedals. OD?
I don't think you can compare boutique pedals to a Ferrari or whatever. Boutique stomp boxes are more of a "pimp my ride" kinda vehicle. Like a souped up Toyota or something. :stir

inuitdream

Seems a little unfair to Marshall to say the the BB1 is a cheap version of the KOT when the KOT is based on the Bluesbreaker pedal, and you'll be hard pressed finding a BB1 for cheap...
You gotta point there. Its just that I got mine for cheap. But withnthe going rates, you are probly right

Trending Topics

Top Bottom