Budget British Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikewaz, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mikewaz

mikewaz Member

I'm looking to get a new speaker for my amplifier, a Crate V1512 (don't laugh, I think it's good for the price I paid). If you're not familiar with it, it's a 2xEL84 amp that sounds fairly similar to a Vox. I'd love to plug in a Celestion Blue, but I can't afford that with my current budget, so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative that would still be good.

Guidelines:
    Budget of ~$100 (likely means ceramic is all I can afford)
    Style: British, Classic Rock, maybe a bit of more modern rock too
    Good mids and treble, more subdued bass

I've looked at Greenback clones, the Weber Blue Dog, and the Weber Silver Bell. Nothing really stands out to me as a great choice, so does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks.

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

The Vox Neo Dog combos come with celestion neo dog speakers ... very close to celestion century neodymium speakers, which you can look up on their website. I see them for sale used for around $50 each, as many swap them out. I've never heard them live, but you can find the amps at the local music store for a test drive.

Here some clips of the celestion version:
    http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/tone/index.asp

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Check out the Celestion clones made by Warehouse Speakers, good prices and some models have gotten rave reviews. Made in the USA, with British cones. Fits your need for "budget" British, and some players say they sound better than the Celestion counterparts.

Al

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. xcycle

xcycle Member

Weber Blue Dog ceramic. Veeeryyy British sounding when properly broken in. An exceptional speaker. Real cool mids and highs without being icepick, at least in my rig. I too listened to all the clips but you just won't get what this speaker is about untill you try it.

I use it mostly with my JTM45 clone or Mesa Boogie Nomad, but it also somehow sounds excellent through my Allen Accomplice as well, Amazing!

Eric

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Get a pair of Wharfedale speakers out of a Vox AC30CC2. They sell on eBay all day for next to nothing since everybody with an AC30 replaces them with Alnico Blues.

7. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Interesting ... what name speakers are these closest to?