1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Budget 'buckers for cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Oct 12, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

I've been reading about the great new aftermarket pickups that are now available, but most of them cost more than the Korean-made guitars they'd be going into.

I'm not looking for 'hot' overwound pickups - more like classic PAFs, but at bargain-basement prices, if possible..

2. Kito

Kito Member

GFS pickups maybe a good option.

3. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Kent Armstrong has some good stuff out there for around 60 bucks

5. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks for the speedy recommendations, guys!

I've been looking for GFS' website, and all I can find are e-Bay listings for a few parts & pickups, tho' HarmonyCentral's database's got reviews of dozens of GFS models..

Believe it or not, I've never used e-Bay. Is this the only place to buy his p-ups?

The 'vintage '59s' sound perfect for my needs, tho' the black chrome double-lipstick tube 'buckers would look incredibly cool on the funky white Airline RI that's arriving tomorrow!

6. peequin

peequin Member

www.manliusguitar.com

Scatterwound by hand at rock bottom prices. $126 for a set...that is just plain ridiculous.

I bought a set and put them in my PRS. They were very, very good.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Gottem in an Artcore. For $75 a pair they are a big improvement over stock.

8. b_rad

b_rad Member

The GFS Vintage '59 is pretty cool for that. I've put a Vintage '59/Crunchy PAF combo in a couple of my cheaper guitars and they're pretty good.

9. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

GFS aka GuitarFetish website

10. drolling

drolling Member

ahh GREAT!!

Scrolled thru' two pages of Google results w/o finding this link.. Thanks!!

And I do appreciate all the other suggestions, as well!

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

A pair of Pete Biltoft's Vintage Vibes is probably about 120 or so . Hard to beat, and if you sell the ax later , pull em and put the elcheapos back in .

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

13. VanStone

VanStone Member

+1 Very good classic PAF sort of tone for the price.

V

14. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

15. OldBlack

OldBlack Supporting Member

Rose pickups. Also try the clearance page over at Zhang.

16. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

Gfs are for the most part no better than the import guitar pups you're replacing. Duncan/ dimarzio (I love Duncans) are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

GFS aint too bad, especially if your looking for something different from a humbucker, but still in a humbucker housing, like the mean 90s, surf 90s, retrotrons, and those new gold foil pickups that just came out look pretty interesting as well.

I have a set of their "wide range" pickups in my korean PRS, they aren't bad, definately i little different sounding from a straight humbucker, got a little bit of sparkle to them that you dont expect in a humbucker platform, definately more highs too, hard to describe the sound, but its definately not your traditional PAF tone, but still pretty good, and usable. I plan to get a few of the above mentioned pickups later down the road and swap them out into my guitar, (got one of those seymour duncan liberators in it so I could swap pickups out without needing a soldering iron to do so).

18. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

There's a guy on eBay selling Gotoh ZH-1 humbuckers, and they're often on sale at around $30-$35 apiece. I don't know their composition (magnet, wire, yada yada), but I've got them in 2 guitars and they sound darn good to me.

19. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Quality PAF'ish pickups at decent prices are used Duncan '59's, Pearly Gates, maybe even Seth Lovers and Antiquities, if yer patient. I'm anti-Dimarzio, but I know they have their following. Someone can recommend those models, as well...

Fretsalot/Scott