budget/entry level recording setup

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ganon, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ganon

ganon Member

I have been playing guitar for about 20 years and have all the vintage guitars and amps and figure the next step would be to get into the whole computer home recording thing and wanted advice on a user friendly budget recording system. I have a new Dell Laptop and want to know what the best software/sounds card/mics I would need to get started. I just have lots of songs I would like to lay down and also just to swap tracks and record simple tracks for the internet. Basically I want a digital 4 track! Would like advice as to a good entry level budget setup, a single good mic for vocals and guitar, and what soundcard/interface/software to go with. I am a little overwhelmed looking now, and would like some ideas of what to go with. I have been reading past threads and doing searches, but there is just so much out there. Also if anyone knows of any other good websites with home recording info for beginners would be great too! I plan I picking up equipment a little at a time but would like to stay under $1,000 if possible. Not looking for studio quality but easy to use with good results. Basically I just want to lay down a rythmn track, then a lead, and some vocals for now. And later would like to add bass and drums. Is the mbox or similar setup what I am looking for? Thanks again for helping out a newbie!

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I just got an email from one of the pro audio dealers who has the M-Box on sale for $279. I deleted the email though.

Or you can wait for the M-Box 2.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2/

Add some headphones and a sm57 mic and you're good to go.

3. covert

covert Member

Mbox isn't bad, for the application you're describing. If you want to be able to do drums, you're going to need more inputs eventually. Start small, stay as small as possible.

4. jaycee

jaycee Member

HI Ganon, i'm in the same boat as you, being a recording newb and all. Here's a website that's helped me enormously. There's a lot to digest here so take your time. Click on 'The Guide' to get started. Also they have very informative forums on here also.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/

Oh, and I just picked up Sonar Home Studio XL for software. It was inexpensive and seems to be pretty intuitive, although i'm still in the tutorial phase. Whatever you get, make sure you go slowly and don't let yourself get discouraged because there's a giant learning curve for us newb's. Good luck!

5. ganon

ganon Member

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on staying small...I really just want to record for myself and be able to have some of my originals down on record. Don't plan on doing drums either, at least for now! I am trying to do the research now so I don't end up with the wrong equipment later. I gues for now I just need a single mic, software, and a USB soundcard/interface.

6. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

Mbox is good. Mbox 2 is stupid IMO, its kinda the same but just more expensive. You can get an MBox 1 really cheap used.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Not so stupid. Seems to be it has 4 simultaneous inputs and MIDI, which is certainly a step up. The old one maxed out at 2 inputs and had no MIDI. Same price as the old one when it first came out, more or less.

8. TAVD

The mbox2 doesn't make me want to run out and buy one. If I had a mbox, I doubt I'd trade up either. Yes, it has midi and 4 simultaneous ins. But it's still USB 1. The headroom is higher @ 106 db, so if I were in the market for one, the new one would be my choice, even though it costs more.

9. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

What about the Focusrite Saffire?

10. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

11. TAVD

Everything I've read about the Saffire so far has said that it's great, for what it is. The "for what it is" qualifier is the issue. In other words, how good of an interface do you need? Nobody's saying the Saffire will give high-end converters a run. The preamps are Focusrite green range, so again, great for a $400 interface but far from esoteric. The only thing I would have liked to see on the Saffire is adat i/o even if it added $100 to the cost. Coupled with Sonar 4 producer or Logic, it should be a nice little setup.