• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Budget friendly attenuators

He_Ma

Hi!

Im looking for cheap attenuators to use at home with my bad cat black cat. I need it only to knock off maybe 5 dB or something close to have the amp breakup characteristics i want with little less volume. My ears are bit damaged and I have some frequencies that I start to hear at 20 db..

Id like to spend max 250 euros and Im not in rush so I can look also second hand options. I know that most or maybe all attenuators in this price range are resistive and will suck some high end. Luckily black cat has plenty! My friend used jet City jettenuator with his Orange with nice results. Im wondering if there is any difference when compared to other purely resistive options that cost more like Dr.Z air brake?

So what I need:
Option to have 4 and 8 ohm cabinet
Can handle at least 30w power
Price max 250 euros

I don't need effects loops, direct outs or basically anything else, cause it does probably increase the cost..

Mark White

I've been reading reviews and watching videos about the $99 Bugera PS1 that is a copy of the Jettenuator by all accounts. The reviews are generally very positive.

tubekingsley

Hi!

Im looking for cheap attenuators to use at home with my bad cat black cat. I need it only to knock off maybe 5 dB or something close to have the amp breakup characteristics i want with little less volume. My ears are bit damaged and I have some frequencies that I start to hear at 20 db..

Id like to spend max 250 euros and Im not in rush so I can look also second hand options. I know that most or maybe all attenuators in this price range are resistive and will suck some high end. Luckily black cat has plenty! My friend used jet City jettenuator with his Orange with nice results. Im wondering if there is any difference when compared to other purely resistive options that cost more like Dr.Z air brake?

So what I need:
Option to have 4 and 8 ohm cabinet
Can handle at least 30w power
Price max 250 euros

I don't need effects loops, direct outs or basically anything else, cause it does probably increase the cost..
I just got a SPL Reducer, and I really like it. I chose it because it gets such positive reviews, and I was surprised at how good it sounds. It offers 4/8/16 ohms, 200w @ 8 ohms. It's €359 including VAT and shipping from Thomann UK, but maybe you could get a discount if you contact them. I know it's more than you want to spend, but I figured I should make you aware of it.

He_Ma

I just got a SPL Reducer, and I really like it. I chose it because it gets such positive reviews, and I was surprised at how good it sounds. It offers 4/8/16 ohms, 200w @ 8 ohms. It's €359 including VAT and shipping from Thomann UK, but maybe you could get a discount if you contact them. I know it's more than you want to spend, but I figured I should make you aware of it.
Is that thing reactive or resistive attenuator? If it's just resistive load, it's more than I'd like to spend on attenuator at this point.

Weber attenuators are excellent and budget friendly. You could also try to buy a used Tube Amp Doctor Silencer which I personally prefer.

tubekingsley

Is that thing reactive or resistive attenuator? If it's just resistive load, it's more than I'd like to spend on attenuator at this point.
I get where you''re coming from, I got a nice holiday discount. Yes, it's a resistive load. I took a chance on it because it gets such rave reviews, in so many threads- I don't notice any high end loss. I just wanted you to know about it's existence, it's definitely too pricey, for what it is.

Last edited:

He_Ma

I get where you''re coming from, I got a nice holiday discount. Yes, it's a resistive load. I took a chance on it because it gets such rave reviews, in so many threads- I don't notice any high end loss. I just wanted you to know about it's existence, it's definitely too pricey, for what it is.
I will watch if these drop in second hand market. It's just hard to wrap my head around the concept of one purely resistive load being significantly better than others.

tubekingsley

I will watch if these drop in second hand market. It's just hard to wrap my head around the concept of one purely resistive load being significantly better than others.
Considering different brands of passive attenuators don't use identical components and build technique, I think it's safe to assume they will sound and feel slightly different from one another. Hard to say if the SPL is worth the price, without having tried other brands with the same amplifier- which I have not done.

He_Ma

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
:D

I actually use earplugs when playing louder, but when playing at home I always start quietly so there can't be no need for earplugs right? But then somehow the amp volume sneaks up little by little towards the sweet spot and it ends up being loud. My hearing is mostly damaged cause I played too loud as youngster with my mates without hearing protection and I just try to keep it not going worse. I think my hearing is in general still quite good, but it's has that one frequency area where it starts at 20 dB. That's basically average male voice freq so when in bigger crowd in public places I sometimes have hard time actually hearing what my friends say due that..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom