• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Budget friendly small tube combo for my guitarist... advice please!

Ishouldbeking

I, the bass player, am keeping an eye out for a good, portable tube combo my guitarist can use mainly for clean rhythm parts... think 60's pop/folk/rock stuff ala Belle and Sebastian. At the moment he's borrowing a Peavey Classic 50 410... which is great, if a little bit overkill for most of the shows we play. We have the cab mic'd 90% of the time, so we're thinking something a bit smaller, lighter, and that would take up less space in a van/trunk would be convenient, especially since we could always use the Classic 50 for a bigger show. An overdrive channel would be ideal for those occasional rockin parts, but it's not completely essential.

The budget, unfortunately is on the low side (cursed economy!)... think around $800 (or less!), or maybe something a little pricier that could be had for around that price used.

What I've come up with so far that fit the price/size/weight needs:

*Fender Hot Rod Deluxe / Blues Deluxe / '65 Deluxe Reissue
*Vibrolux (thinking the 210 might come closer to the 410 sound?)
*Kustom '36 Coupe
*Peavey Custom 30
*Peavey Delta Blues 210
*Rivera Pubster / Clubster 45
*Traynor YCV40 / YCV40WR / YCV50BLUE

Thoughts, opinions, and recommendations are all welcome but keep in mind we're not snobbish about tone... not looking for the end-all be-all tube combo, just something decent that sounds good. Thanks!

Vox AC30CC2! They can be had, even though it doesn't say it on their website, at Best Buy for $839.99. I bought one last month because I couldn't pass up the deal. Best 2x12 combo I've ever owned.

Ishouldbeking

Oh i should say, since part of what we're looking for is a smaller amp, pretty much leaning towards a 1x12 or a 2x10 combo. but thanks for the advice!

Yeah, that AC30 gets pretty loud, but still a deal for that price. The MV works really well on it. Should be able to get an AC15 way in that price range, that's a 15 watt 1x12.

Bob V

The Peavey Delta blues 210 is not a small cabinet. The Classic 30 or equivalent 1x12 might be the ticket for portability and still have a range of tones you're used to from the Classic 50.

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
I would say the classic 30 is a great amp, however the op did say clean was important and the c30 does not have a lot of clean headroom. A fender, either a reissue or hotrod series is a good clean amp, and is a great platform for pedals too.

Geetarpicker

I'd go with the '65 Fender reissue Deluxe reverb. Should be WELL within your budget, if you buy used and there are a ton of them out there. Also tons of pedals seemed to be fine tuned for these amps (and blackface Fenders in general) so your options are plentiful.

BPSUL

You said he likes the classic 50 right?

Tell him to buy a Classic 30 or 20 and spend the other $400 on a new guitar or pedals!

Trending Topics