Budget GC score!

Lublin

I stopped into GC this afternoon to see if they got anything new in. I was greeted by the same 'ol familiar stuff. I was about to walk away from the used section when I saw the edge of a really nice looking LP style guitar peeking from behind an old Fender Super Reverb. I picked it up and it was a Memphis LP copy with a set neck. Action was sweet, frets were in great condition so I gave it a go. The output jack was hanging on by 2 screws and was cutting in and out but I managed to hold it in a position to hear that the guitar, even with its rusty strings, had a great tone! I haggled with the salesman a tad and he dropped the price, paid for it with a GC gift card I got on Xmas and still had money leftover on the card!

I brought it home, tore the old strings off and popped the pups out to see what they are. They're ink stamped "Patent Applied, For Made By Goto" and sound friggin' outstanding. Both pickups on are incredibly chimey. The bridge looks original and is stamped Japan, so I'm assuming the guitar was made MIJ. There's no serial # on it so I don't really think I can date it. I cleaned the FB, lemon oiled it and wipes the body down. Its pretty but has a definite relic'ed look to it. The neck is super comfortable and very '59'ish in shape.

The stock tuners are garbage, so I plan on picking up some cheaper locking tuners. The guitar has a slight buzz when plugged in and the buzz goes away when I touch the 3-way switch, so I'm guessing theres a ground problem somewhere. Maybe I'll upgrade the pots, switch and rewire the guitar. I don't know how to do any of that but I couldn't think of a better guitar to learn on! What's scary is that kinda gives my Gibson LP a run for its money.

Here's some crappy pictures, I'll get better ones when I can:

Last edited:

infiniteposse

Nicely done sir! May I ask how much you ended up paying? I think there's a lot of value to be found in old MIJ guitars. They just seemed to know what they were doing and some real gems are out there for pennies.

If you're into researching and geeking, here's a good place to start: http://www.tokaiforum.com/index.php?sid=dc8a4a3350f0c68e009977d43bb512b9

I was able to track down some info on my lawsuit-ish MIJ 70's Greco. Let us know how she cleans up with some new tuners. Congrats!

Lublin

Nicely done sir! May I ask how much you ended up paying? I think there's a lot of value to be found in old MIJ guitars. They just seemed to know what they were doing and some real gems are out there for pennies.

If you're into researching and geeking, here's a good place to start: http://www.tokaiforum.com/index.php?sid=dc8a4a3350f0c68e009977d43bb512b9

I was able to track down some info on my lawsuit-ish MIJ 70's Greco. Let us know how she cleans up with some new tuners. Congrats!
Thank you very much! The guitar was $53.50 out the door. The pots are little scratchy, so I think I may upgrade them too.

I'd love to hear any other input on my new purchase.

mesa/kramer

And a Set neck.

Seemed every kid I knew who played guitar when I was young had a bolt on neck Memphis les Paul.

b2sc

Good score!! But,... I remember Mephis guitars like I remember getting sick on Wild Turkey when i was 16 years old.

I've got such painful, bad, memories of both of the above mentioned that no matter what anyone might tell me how good they are, I can't get within smelling distance of either w/o throwing up in my mouth a little bit.... :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll

Lublin

Good score!! But,... I remember Mephis guitars like I remember getting sick on Wild Turkey when i was 16 years old.

I've got such painful, bad, memories of both of the above mentioned that no matter what anyone might tell me how good they are, I can't get within smelling distance of either w/o throwing up in my mouth a little bit.... :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll
From what I hear, there were different models of Memphis' made and some were absolute garbage. I own/have owned some really excellent pieces of gear and the Memphis I have is extremely far from garbage!

Lublin

Thanks! The neck has a 59-ish feel to it. Its not a baseball bat and its not a 60's neck.

Memphis LPs have a very good rep.
"I remember Mephis guitars like I remember getting sick on Wild Turkey when i was 16 years old.

I've got such painful, bad, memories of both of the above mentioned that no matter what anyone might tell me how good they are, I can't get within smelling distance of either w/o throwing up in my mouth a little bit...."

Yeah, that's a helluva rep!!!

Marble

a friend of mine picked up a Memphis J type Bass a couple years ago. I didn't know what it was but I always thought it had some Mojo. Cool score for sure!

guitardad

When I was a freshman in college, my roommate and I responded to an ad from some senior ditching his gear before he graduated. Said he had a bass and amp, $50 each. So we scrape together some dough and check it out. The bass was a Memphis p-bass, black on black with maple neck. Kind of neck heavy but really solid and it sounded good, so I nabbed that.

My roommate walked out of there with a Lab Series combo for $50. That thing was awesome and a ridiculous deal.

Lublin

Looking closer, it's a pancake body and it seems to be made of mahogany and maple. No plywood here!