1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Budget, good quality 000 sized guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dwes, May 17, 2011.

1. dwes

dwes Member

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

What budget do you have in mind? I like Epiphone Masterbilt EFs, they're what I would call an OM rather than a 000 (1 3/4 nut and long scale rather than 1 11/16 and short scale) and cost in the neighborhood of $800.

Fran

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

recording King ROS series.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Used Martin 000-15. Usually had for around $750. Less if you get lucky on Craigslist.

5. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I would suggest a Goodall TROOO... oh wait! What was your budget?

...never mind...

6. wildbill1962

wildbill1962 Member

:agree

7. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

8. dwes

dwes Member

I have two MDGR GCC Goodalls. Wonderful guitars.

This is for my son. $1K +/-.

9. Fingertwister

Fingertwister Member

Eastman OMs are great, & would still be good value at twice the price..

10. freaksho

freaksho Supporting Member

Seagull SWS Maritime Folk (all solid). $600-700 depending on dealer and with/without hard case.

11. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I bought one of these for my daughter, and I'm blown away by what an amazing guitar it is. Superb in ever aspect.

I'd also mention a used Martin 000-15S. They can be found for the same $$$ if you keep your eyes open.

12. freaksho

freaksho Supporting Member

yeah i just got one last month. i don't have a ton of acoustic experience and this is my first all solid guitar but i really love it. and once i get used to the wider neck i might even be able to move out of first position :).

13. dazco

dazco Member

Just bought a recording kind 000 today. A RO-10 to be exact. Stupid good deal. One of the best new guitars i've played anywhere near the price and much less "green" sounding than any new guitar i've tried.

If you can deal with big necks, the ROS-06 12th fret slothead...i actually have yet to play any new guitar that sounds better and most don't sound as good in ANY price range ! (well, maybe one or two high end boutique'rs) I would have bought that instead but i absolutely cannot stand baseball bat necks. Unreal sounding for a $260 guitar ! Sounded better to me that the martin 00028 eric clapton model i played a few days ago at $3000+. Not bad for $260 !

14. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Where did you find that for $260?

15. Trickstaaah

Trickstaaah Member

Piling on for Recording King. I bought an RO model almost four years ago and love it.

16. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Guild GADs or used F30 - assuming you mean a 000 with 14 frets clear of the body.

17. dazco

dazco Member

From this guy...
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=recording+king&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

I think the first ad is from a private party selling a RK, but the rest are this guy who sells RK out of his house as a semi retired seller who worked in instrument retail for years. Went to his place and bought the RO-10 yesterday but he had that slothead at $260. god it sounded amazing. I liked it better than the martin 00028 Clapton i played a few days back at $3500 ! I'm not even kidding, and i've been playing since the early 70's so i do know tone and i'm very picky. these things are shockinly good for the money. I'm selling my GAD25....it's not in the same league. (even tho it's a dred) I may be buying a slothead RK too, maybe even a dred. These things allow you to have an entire collection. granted, the workmanship leaves something to be desired, tho not in any obvious or deal breaker way. But basically like old vintage stuff.... those were never built to the exactly build quality we see today either ! Yet people spend a fortune for them.

anyways, the guy will ship, but i just happen to live within an hour away, lucky me. I would never have bought a RK had i not had the ability to play it first. he even sold me a really nice gig bag that is at a level where it would cost you at least $40-50 at GC for $20.

18. dazco

dazco Member

2 questions...which RO, and how has it changed tonally in that time? Did it change much in the first few weeks/months? Mine sounds fantastic as is, but i can only imagine what better would be like, and if it does improved much i will be jaw dropped, as it's already about the best sounding 000 i've owned. All solid, $370 OTD w/gig bag ! (and a pretty good bag at that) wacky !

19. Trickstaaah

Trickstaaah Member

RO-227. I can't say that it's opened up tremendously -- to be honest, I haven't been playing it as much as I should have, as it's taken a back seat to my electrics -- but I can tell you that it has a rich, round sound with a lot of bloom to the notes. As an amateur player who occasionally plays out but doesn't have any ambition to run pro-level gear, I'm very pleased with it.