Budget Pedals

Lee1976

Hi, sorry if this has been covered a thousand times before, but it's my first post so bear with me.
I am in the early stage of learning and I'm happy with my guitar, (epiphone prophecy ex), and my amp, (bugera v55), but I'm feeling the need for a few pedals now. I have a boss me-25, but would rather have individual pedals tbh.
Can you recommend me the following pedals on a budget:
Chorus
Distortion
Delay

So far I have been looking at the following;
Tone city angel wing
Mxr custom badass 78
Tone city tape machine

Any advice is much appreciated.

Lee1976

I don't mind buying used. Love eBay, got my bugera v55 for £185 from there.

The tone city pedals are getting some good reviews, just watched a video on YouTube for the 'Model M', sounds superb.

JJO

Platinum Supporting Member
Chicago Stompworks makes some affordable overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals in a variety of classic styles. Definitely worth checking out.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
DOD 250 for distortion and overdrive
DOD FX84 for compression
Ibanez TS9 - booster

That'd be my budget dirt and boost section. You can get all three for $50 and under each.

MBT74

I've been through a lot of pedals (and money) trying stuff out over the years and in the end, the Boss and MXR pedals are just as good as the expensive stuff. Especially in a band mix

OD/Dist: Boss BD-2, SD-1 (Or pay a little more and grab the newer Waza versions). MXR Distortion+ or DOD250. Proco Rat

Delay: MXR Carbon Copy, Boss DD-6 or DM-2w

Chorus: MXR or Boss CE-5

And then grab a Boss TR-2 tremolo while you're at it. Boss got that one right.

TC Electronic Dark Matter is a solid, affordable pedal. More of a overdrive than distortion though.

Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion is great at distortion sounds. Very focused and has a responsive EQ (also does good overdrive), build quality is solid and price is good.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Belcat/Cruzer/Rogue/Modtone (and probably several other rebadges) Delay is a nice enough "analog"-ish sounding delay pedal. Same with their chorus pedal.

I agree with the DOD 250 or MXR Dist+ for distortion. You should be able to find these pretty cheap all day long.

tibone

Depends on what you consider budget.

But as far as Chorus goes, i really like the Boss CH-1, it's a simple pedal, but it sounds good and it's a BOSS, so it's reliable as a tank.

S. F. Sorrow

The Joyo AC Tone is a fantastic budget overdrive pedal that gets lots of great reviews here.
Behringer' Echo Machine is a very cool vintage delay modeler.
I throw both those pedals in a backpack when not using my regular pedals. Don't have to worry about them being stolen in my car. :D
BTW love the V55 amp. Great pedal platform. I have the head version and use a 4x12. A vintage tube in V1 really made the amp sweet.

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
Chorus:
you're probably best looking for a used Boss CH-1, great chorus, reliable, one of the reference chorus pedals and you can find it for $60-70 used ($99 new)

Distortion:
MXR Super Badass, goes from OD to full on distortion, sounds like a much more expensive boutique pedal but it's marked MXR on the face instead of something else. It's $99 new and you can find it for $65-75 used.

thecornman

Agree on getting used Boss! You will not need to replace them down the line and they will work for as long as you choose to keep them.

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member

Kidding aside (sorta), can't go wrong with a few basic Boss pedals. I like and still own a Boss OS-2. Can go from crunch to a bit more saturated dirt.

Trending Topics