Budget Plexi Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbutler, Feb 2, 2006.

1. mbutler

mbutler Member

I'd love to get a vintage 50 watt plexi, but don't have that kind of cash. I know there are a lot of great amps out there that have the same vibe (Bad Cat Wild Cat, Budda, Germino, etc), but does anybody make an amp that gets that plexi sound at around a grand? Or, can an amp like a Sound City or even a Sovtek Mig 50 be modded to really sound like a plexi?

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

:RoCkIn Check out ebay. They'll usually have a few Marshall JTM's on sale there. You can even find clones there that have been handwired.

I would check out the JTM 45. It's a 30 watt amp and rules with the plexi sound.

Good luck!

3. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Rockytop Electronics

Whitney Amplification

there's others, but these two are killer handbuilt amps in that mode
    -Guy

4. avwalker

avwalker Member

If you're the technical type (or know someone who is), weber sells a complete kit with a cabinet for $475. You'd probably wanna upgrade the jacks, pots, and switches though (from what I've heard).

5. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Nik at Ceriatone will send you a fully working JTM45 clone chassisfor $550. Just pop into a head box and your all set. I haven't heard the JTM45 but I bought an 18watt from Nik that sounds absolutely killer.

Martin

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Fargen has some great plexi remakes

7. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I've got a Traynor YBA-1, an early one with the 6L6's and tube rectifier. It sounds VERY early Marshall and was had on Ebay for well sunder $1k. It's not as loud as the later ones with the ss recto either. I mean, it's loud but manageably so.

8. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Man...
    I was in your shoes a few years back but decided to bite the bullet and get myself a 50w plexi, I couldnt afford it, neither could I stop thinking about it.
    Anyhow I finally gave in to my concience and bought one.
    I have never, ever looked back.
    I watched a DVD my mate recorded last Friday night last night and was just blown away.
    Its the first real opportuninty I've had to see and hear our band in performace outside of the stage area.
    Holy s#!t.... absolutely perfect.
    You've gotta get one, trust me, you'll never look back.

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

mbutler, PM sent!

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

get a plexi reissue, used about 500$. Drop in a PTP board from Metroamps, swap out the choke and OT (direct fit) and replace with Mercury magnetics transformer, and if you have cash left over get a power transformer too. These are direct drop in replacements for these amps, and sound absolutely killer. The PTP board comes from George with a CD for installation and he can help you out...Paul from Merc Magnetics is another awesome guy who can steer you to the right upgrades. And if you dont want to do it yourself, Don Butler (toneman.com) sells a service where he does all that and probably more for a reasonable amount. It is worth every pennie. Did it to my old bluesbreaker reissue and the sound was amazing.

11. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

I think Fargen makes some of the best plexi stuff. I have the Mini-Plex and it is awesome. At home I can kick it down to 8 watts and still get full tube overdrive. Try it out. Used you can pick them up for around $600.

Rick Kane

12. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I would tend to agree with this. If you dont get the "Real Deal" And thats what you really want youll always wonder what you missed out on. However, If you simply cant or dont have the time or money to save up for the amp here are a couple of alternatives for you that I think youll do well with

a) A MArshall JTM45 reissue. Get one of the early versions i.e. 1989-1990 or around there. The early reissue Marshall JTm45s can be had for $800-$1000 bucks. They sound great especially if you jumper the channels and run a 12ax7 pedal in their i.e the TOnebone Hot BRitish or Valvedriver.
    There is one on Ebay right now sokeone I know is selling. It is a MINT CONDITION 1989 JTM45 Marshall plexi reissue (FIRST YEAR!) He is askin $975 I think. SErial number #00066!!! One of the first ones made.
    b) Owning a "plexi" version superlead 50 watt MArshall is a collectors thing. For a PLAYER like yourself you should go for aan early 70s aluminum panel version superlead. They cost much much less then their plexi brothers and sound the same to me. I personally like the 1969 50 watt, the 1972 100 watt, the 1975 100 or 50 watt. Just check the voltage select on the pone you get. Make sure it does 120 voltage. SOmetimes you have to check the transformer cause it may have the ohm taps or leads coming right off of it and have one at 120 volts.

HOpe this helps ya some. GOod luck.

Metroamp.com has a plexi kit for $800 bucks as well I think. IT may be a little more IF your willing to build one for yourself that is.

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If you're not into collecting and you don't care about increasing resale value... all you want to do is play... and get the tone... then I'd recommend whole heartedly ANY of Greg Germino's amps... I have the LoVo Lead 55 and absolutely love it... gets you NON MASTER plexi grind at PRETTY decent levels... and with my THD Hotplate... I can use it anywhere. The cleans are better than any authentic plexi or ali panel Super Lead I've ever played (3 x '69s 2 x '70s 6 x '71s) and not only that, you get a transferable limited lifetime warranty on parts and labour. Plus you get to talk to a real world guy, that loves to play, and loves tone... you really can't beat it, plus the price is super reasonable and you have tons of classic options to choose from. Greg is the man... IMO there isn't really any other option in that price range.

-TJK

P.S I've also heard amazing things about Roccaforte amps and Doug has been a really great guy to talk to. As well as Randall Aiken's stuff... which I'm currently in the process of trying to set up a deal for;)

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

Curious, why would the early reissues be preferable? I had a chance to buy either an '89 (with 6L6s) or a '90 (with 5881s) at the same price, and they sounded considerably different from one another (I bought the '89).
    -jan

15. Roe

Roe Member

weber kit perhaps

16. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Or, just get the Ceria plexi, and pop it into a head box. That's what I did.. and with the PTP board, you can tweak away.

17. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

saw this reissue on my local craig's list for $800 seems like a good deal

18. mbutler

mbutler Member

How far off are the reissues? I've been told they need a lot of work to get the sound of the originals. Have I been misinformed?

19. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Ceriatone. Ultimate bang for the buck. All you have to do is buy cab and put the chassis in it.

20. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've heard great things about Germino's amps, but the pricing is around $1900-$2200 list...